Warner to Bruce 73 yard game winning TD in SB34 overshadowed by "The Tackle”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still think it's a bit odd that the Warner to Bruce 73 yard game winning TD in SB34 is still greatly overshadowed by "The Tackle."

The TD broke the tie in dramatic fashion, and "The Tackle" prevented overtime. Both are awesome plays that created a championship, but it's just weird to me that Bruce's TD isn't legendary in NFL lore...yet we see "The Tackle" so often. I mean, it even got a nickname.

That's always been my perception anyway.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I still think it's a bit odd that the Warner to Bruce 73 yard game winning TD in SB34 is still greatly overshadowed by "The Tackle."

The TD broke the tie in dramatic fashion, and "The Tackle" prevented overtime. Both are awesome plays that created a championship, but it's just weird to me that Bruce's TD isn't legendary in NFL lore...yet we see "The Tackle" so often. I mean, it even got a nickname.

It is stupid.

Faulk agrees too. He has a huge picture of Bruce making that catch in the SB hanging over the fireplace in his house. And Faulk is a football savant.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John

Never remember talking about this. Happy I am not alone on this.

That catch by Bruce and move for the TD after a poorly thrown pass IS the game to me.

The last drive by the Titans was impressive but ultimately failed. If I heard this once I heard this a hundred times, "Titans lost by one yard". WHAT?!? Talk about not getting history right.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

it was a great tackle that happened on the last play of the game.

as soon as dyson caught the ball everyone thought it was a td. but a text book tackle by jones brought him down instantly. and with him reaching the ball out and missing by inches, it's great theatre. memorable. captured with a great picture.

it's easy to see why it would overshadow everything else that happened in the game.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

as soon as dyson caught the ball everyone thought it was a td. but a text book tackle by jones brought him down instantly. and with him reaching the ball out and missing by inches, it's great theatre. memorable. captured with a great picture.

it's easy to see why it would overshadow everything else that happened in the game.

It's not easy to see why though, that's my point. Both HUGE plays. The tackle prevented a tie and OT. And to be honest Dyson wasn't even close. He was down like 3 or 4 yds out then the outstretched arm that didn't count. The only thing that i can figure is the tackle came at the buzzer and Warner to Bruce was earlier. I can see the drama involved with the tackle but in terms of spectacular clutch plays, i've always seen Warner to Bruce as more legendary. Sorry Mike.

I mean, the short corner Santonio Holmes TD vs Arizona gets more lore than Bruce yet it was a bomb thrown by the QB, 73 friggin yards with a fuckload of YAC. It's weird.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John

Yeah it was really good for the story. But not the reality of importance.

It actually kind of made the ending confusing for a moment to see the call.

This years was much more dramatic IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is it because the Warner to Bruce TD happened so fast? It was like, BOOM!

TENNESSEE: 6:17

1-10-T47. McNair 11 run up middle, tackled by Wistrom.

1-10-S42. George 7 run up middle, tackled by Collins.

2-3-S35. George 1 run up middle, tackled by Fletcher and Farr.

3-2-S34. McNair 4 pass to Harris, fumble recovered by Byrd at Rams 28.

1-10-S28. George 3 run right side, tackled by Jones.

2-7-S25. McNair pass to Byrd for no gain, tackled by McCleon.

3-7-S25. McNair incomplete pass right side, intended for Wycheck.

4-7-S25. Del Greco 43-yard FG, 2:12.

ST. LOUIS 16, TENNESSEE 16

Hentrich kicks off to Horne at 10, 17 return to Rams 27, tackled by McCullough.

ST. LOUIS: 2:05

1-10-S27. Warner 73 pass to Bruce up right sideline for touchdown, 1:54.

Wilkins kicks extra point.

ST. LOUIS 23, TENNESSEE 16

TWO MINUTE WARNING

Wilkins kicks off to Mason at 1, returned to Titans 22, 10-yard holding penalty to Titans 12.

TENNESSEE: 1:48

1-10-T12. McNair 9 pass to Mason over middle, tackled by McCleon.

2-1-T21. McNair 7 pass to Wycheck right sideline.

1-10-T28. McNair incomplete pass right sideline, intended for Dyson.

2-10-T28. McNair 12 run plus 15-yard face mask penalty against Bly.

1-10-S45. Offside penalty against Rams, 5 yards.

1-5-S40. McNair 2 run right sideline, tackled by Lyght.

2-3-S38. McNair 7 pass over middle to Dyson, tackled by Fletcher.

1-10-S31. McNair spikes ball.

2-10-S31. Offside penalty against Carter, 5 yards.

2-5-S26. McNair incomplete pass right side, intended for George.

3-5-S26. McNair 16 pass to Dyson right side, tackled by McCleon.

1-G-S10. McNair 8 pass to Dyson right side, tackled by Jones.

FINAL SCORE: ST. LOUIS 23, TENNESSEE 16

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it because the Warner to Bruce TD happened so fast? It was like, BOOM!

probably because when the telecast came back from commercial they had already snapped the ball, or were snapping the ball.

there was zero build up and it caught everyone off guard. of course rams fans everywhere were cheering but it happened in a blink of the eye.

the build up to the tackle was excruciating. especially leading up to the last play. the whole experience was more memorable.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Super Bowls didn't often come down to the last play, keeping people on the edge of their seat like that. In the 1980s and 1990s, as often as not it was a uncompetitive blowout.

Tennessee could've opted to go for 2 and the win there if they had scored instead of playing for OT. You never know.

dang

Legend

Take a close look at “the Tackle”. While close when Dyspns knee hits the ground the ball is about 1 1/2 yards short. It was only AFTER his knee hit when he outstretched his arm and the ball that is looks like it was a 1 1/2 feet away.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Never remember talking about this. Happy I am not alone on this.

That catch by Bruce and move for the TD after a poorly thrown pass IS the game to me.

The last drive by the Titans was impressive but ultimately failed. If I heard this once I heard this a hundred times, "Titans lost by one yard". WHAT?!? Talk about not getting history right.
To be totally accurate, that pass by Kurt was perfectly thrown by a guy about to get destroyed by “The Freak.“ if he hadn’t had rushed that pass to Bruce, who knows if we win that game.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do we call AD’s tackle of Joe Burrows to end the game? The Tackle II?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If not for that ridiculous drive at the end, it would get more love. McNair made a few amazing plays on that drive that kept them in it. When Bruce scored, most of us knew thwy left too much time on the clock for there not to be drama.

The Tackle by Jones is still one of the more amazing plays in Rams history. The fact that he broke back underneath at the last second and tackled Dyson pretty much the ONLY way you can to stop his momentum.... A thing of beauty.

Also, if the Titans score there, my guess is they win the game. Our defense was absolutely spent at that point. Amazing way to end the game, but without "The Bomb", the is no "The Tackle", so it's hard to choose. It's like Sophie's choice!!!

Ram65

Legend
The Bruce TD was a great play by both Warner and Bruce.

The Jones Tackle was a great play.

In a way very similar to this year's Super Bowl win. The TD pass to Kupp gives the Rams the lead but, the no-look pass by Stafford was incredible.

However, the two defensive plays by Donald at the end sealed the win.

The game-ending plays seem to get the most playback down the road. I love them all.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have always thought that catch and run by Bruce was HOF worthy, one that Jerry Rice probably wishes were on his resume.
What irritates me is Proehl's catch in the Championship Game is several orders of magnitude more difficult than Dwight Clark's, but all we see is the 9er's catch in the highlight reels of great catches. The throw by Warner is much tougher as well.