War hero has Rams tryout

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...1-a01d-f73edc81e9c2.html#.VU5bHpzMvl8.twitter

1124_dmlo_MilitaryAppreciationDay25_3388987_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

You can debate whether the smallest player on the practice field Friday has the biggest heart. But this cannot be disputed: Former Clemson wide receiver Daniel Rodriguez, 5-8, 180, was the only one at Rams Park with a Purple Heart.

Rodriguez, 27, was in the Army from 2006-10, reaching the rank of sergeant and serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. At the battle of Kamdesh in Afghanistan on Oct. 3, 2009, 300 Taliban insurgents battled with 38 U.S. soldiers. Eight Americans lost their lives, and Rodriguez was one of 22 Americans wounded.

He took a bullet to the shoulder and shrapnel in his legs and neck from a rocket-propelled grenade. The leg wounds slowed him down for a while.

“Until I got all the shrapnel out,” Rodriguez said after Friday’s rookie minicamp practice. “Whatever. I have friends without legs, so I don’t really complain much.”

He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star for his valor, and then ... he decided to give college football a try.

Originally a walk-on, Rodriguez spent four seasons at Clemson, playing mainly on special teams. In 39 career games, he had one start from scrimmage, 11 catches for 39 yards and a touchdown, a 5-yard carry, and six punt returns for 57 yards.

Modest stats to be sure, but he did get an invitation to one of the college all-star games, the Medal of Honor Bowl on Jan. 10 in Charleston, S.C. Rodriguez remembers talking to some Rams scouts during the practice week there, and then last Sunday the Rams called and said they were inviting him to this weekend’s rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

“It’s pretty surreal,” Rodriguez said. “You kind of hope for an opportunity as a kid to say you got a chance to play in the NFL. For me it’s no different, coming back for more (after his time in the Army) and having the opportunity to play Division I football. I just felt, why give up there? So I just kept working.”

Since he’s here on a tryout basis only, Rodriguez basically has three days to make enough of an impression to get signed to the 90-man offseason roster. The Rams currently have 88 players either signed or drafted.

So there are a couple of spots open, and Rodriguez and Harvard long snapper Tyler Ott are the only players here on a tryout basis this weekend.

Rodriguez is under pressure to get noticed. Certainly not the kind of pressure faced when getting attacked by Taliban insurgents. But pressure nonetheless.

“For me, that’s how it’s been,” he said with a shrug. “I was a walk-on at Clemson. And I had to show out at camp just to make the ... roster. And it’s no different here. Obviously, this is a top-caliber paid environment with freaks of nature.

“But you know, I feel that I can compete and I’ve worked my (butt) off to get to where I’m at. Even if it’s a three-day trial and they say ‘thank you for coming,’ I can’t say anything but ‘thank you’ back. Because this is all I’ve ever wanted — this is a chance to try to do it.”

It seems safe to say that Rodriguez has an ally of sorts in Rams coach Jeff Fisher, who has been very active in the Wounded Warrior Project.

Fisher visited troops in the Persian Gulf in 2009 and climbed Mount Kilimanjaro during his year off from coaching (2011) to raise funds and awareness for Wounded Warriors. Every year at the end of training camp, the Rams have a light practice with service men and service women at Scott Air Force Base.

Rodriguez was vaguely aware of Fisher’s involvement in Wounded Warriors before getting the call from the Rams. He’s since looked into it.

“I’m just so very appreciative from my standpoint of being a wounded veteran and having friends that are part of the Wounded Warrior program,” Rodriguez said. “I think that’s awesome of him. To be in his position and to give back means a lot to me.”

But Rodriguez knows his tryout isn’t some kind of gimmick. He’ll have to earn an offseason roster spot from Fisher to make it to training camp.

“I don’t want to say that it’s an all feel-good story,” he said. “I like to think that me training in the offseason, and getting into EXOS (performance center), and doing the full-time grind, and going to my pro day and putting up the numbers that I did, gave me an advantage.

“But whatever gets your foot in the door is what can solidify where you go in your future. If it doesn’t work out, at least I know I came out here and competed with the best of ’em, and made the most of the run that I had.”

If it doesn’t work out, Rodriguez already has a very good start on life after football.

His autobiography “Rise: A Soldier, A Dream, and a Promise Kept” reached best-seller status. His story has been told all over television, radio, and the cable networks. Sony TriStar Entertainment purchased the book rights and plans a movie on Rodriguez’s life.

Rodriguez has moved to Los Angeles, where he’s already working as a consultant on the movie projejct, and has been on the public speaking circuit as well. While in LA, he did his pre-draft training at the EXOS athletic training center there.

That training helped those legs that once contained shrapnel run a 4.58 in the 40 at Clemson’s pro day. He also caught everything thrown his way that day.

But he didn’t return to football to draw attention to himself. He was almost reluctant at times Friday to talk about his time in the military. Of the 25 other Rams rookies on hand for the weekend minicamp, only Georgia Tech fullback Zach Laskey knew who he was.

(Georgia Tech and Clemson are rivals in football.)

At Rams Park this weekend, and as long as this opportunity lasts, Rodriguez says, “I just want to be another football player.”

DROP GIVENS AND TAKE HIM! Seriously, if this guy doesn't have heart, who does?!

12049154-large.jpg

Last edited:

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Got to have respect for the guy, and wish him luck in his tryout, but I can't see how he would make the team/ make any kind of contributions.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good fate, keep the guy. Keep the guy for the 90 man for absolute sure. Who else are you going to take at this point?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Good fate, keep the guy. Keep the guy for the 90 man for absolute sure. Who else are you going to take at this point?

Anyone that can actually contribute? Not saying that he can't, but his status in the military should not be what gets him a spot. If he's gonna make the team he better be ready to beat out Givens and Sasser.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anyone that can actually contribute? Not saying that he can't, but his status in the military should not be what gets him a spot. If he's gonna make the team he better be ready to beat out Givens and Sasser.

I don't think he expects a spot, but we've given spots on the 90 man roster to guys like Jorgen Hus (a guy made famous by trick shots with long-snapping) before. Why not Rodriguez? You're not going to find many guys who can legitimately contribute at this point. You're working with shots in the dark. So why not?

Again, I don't think he's expected to be given a spot.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just for the fun of it, If we do sign Rodriguez, and the Seahawks sign their UDFA LS 'War Hero', can't you just see some ESPN sports writer playing them up, week #1, when the two teams meet, when " We go to War against the 'Hags!!!?

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We know what we have in Givens and it's not good enough. I would definitely get this guy out on ST where he has experience.

This story is like Rudy on steroids.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's not a choice between Givens and Sasser for the 90 man. They will make that one easy. He will only be replacing another player that is unlikely to make it in the NFL. I'd be just fine with the guy making the 90 man and see what he has. Sometimes heart and determination trumps all.

Alan

Legend
Sasser will be the cheaper alternative too.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1/30/7929269/st-louis-rams-free-agency-salary-cap-chris-givens
Proven Performance Escalators: Will Chris Givens Become A Salary Cap Casualty?
By Frank "Dubs" Dobozy@Bozy1313 on Jan 30, 2015, 7:59a 137

usa-today-7530120.0.jpg

Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sports

Trumaine Johnson and Chris Givens are entering the fourth (and final year) of their respective rookie contracts. Both will receive substantial pay increases in 2015 due to provisions in the CBA. Part two - of a 12-part offseason salary cap series - examines Proven Performance Escalators, and how they affect the Rams' salary cap and offseason plans.

Late January/early February is the time of year when players find out about raises in their contracts triggered by particular provisions in the CBA. 2014 season statistics affecting contracts are officially finalized by the NFL around this time of the year. The Proven Performance Escalator is a provision included in all rookie contracts of players selected between the third and seventh round of the NFL draft.

The escalator/raise becomes available during the 4th (last) year of a player's rookie contract. To qualify, a player must play in at least 35% of the snaps - offensive or defensive - in two of his first three seasons, or 35% of the total snaps - offensive or defensive - over the entire three-year period. If earned, the players base salary increases to that of the lowest Restricted Free Agent tender for 2015. The lowest RFA tender will likely come in at $1.57 million, and will be finalized when the salary cap limit is determined in February.

More: 2015 NFL Salary Cap: How Will It Affect The St. Louis Rams?
The 2015 Proven Performance Escalators are applicable to the 2012 draft class. TwoRams players from the 2012 draft class qualify for the PPE: Trumaine Johnson andChris Givens. Greg Zuerlein does not qualify, as kickers/punters are ineligible for the PPE. The escalator doesn't involve any guaranteed money, nor is it counted against the salary cap as dead money if the player is released.

From the 2011 NFL CBA:

Section 4. Proven Performance Escalator:

(a) The Proven Performance Escalator is mandatory for Rookies drafted in the third through seventh rounds. Rookies drafted in the first or second rounds and Undrafted Rookies are not eligible to earn the Proven Performance Escalator.

(b) The Proven Performance Escalator is a non-negotiable amount by which an eligible player’s year-four Paragraph 5 Salary may escalate provided the player achieves at least one of the two qualifiers set forth in Subsection (c) below. The Proven Performance Escalator shall be deemed a part of every Rookie Contract of a player selected in the third through seventh round by virtue of this Agreement and may not be separately attached to such Rookie Contract.

(c) Qualifiers. An eligible player will qualify for the Proven Performance Escalator in his fourth League Year if: (1) he participated in a minimum of 35% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays in any two of his previous three regular seasons; or (2) he participated in a "cumulative average" of at least 35% of his Club’s offensive or defensive plays over his previous three regular seasons. "Cumulative average" means the sum of the total number of offensive or defensive plays in which the player participated over the applicable seasons, divided by the sum of the Club’s offensive or defensive plays during the same seasons.

Chris Givens' and Trumaine Johnson's 2015 contracts, before and after the PPE raises:
PlayerBase SalaryProrated BonusTotal Cap HitDead MoneyCap Savings
Chris Givens
Before PPE660,000124,257784,257124,257660,000
After PPE1,570,000124,2571,694,257124,2571,570,000
Trumaine Johnson
Before PPE794,500167,794962,294167,794794,500
After PPE1,570,000167,7941,737,794167,7941,570,000
As a result of the PPE, Trumaine Johnson receives a $775,500 increase in base salary for 2015, while Chris Givens' base salary increases by $910,000 in 2015. Johnson's salary cap hit for 2015: $1,737,794. Chris Givens' salary cap hit for 2015: $1,694,257. If the Rams released Johnson and/or Givens, the salary cap savings for each player would be $1,570,000.

As noted in part one of the salary cap series, the Rams (at present) have virtually zero salary cap space. They will need to create a substantial amount of salary cap space if they wish to re-sign any of their eligible free agents, or those from another team. Every dollar will loom large this offseason.

Although he will receive a substantial raise, Trumaine Johnson is not a candidate for release by the Rams. Johnson's an integral part of the Rams' secondary, and should rebound from his injury-plagued 2014 season.

Decisions regarding Chris Givens are not so clear-cut. Givens saw very little playing time in 2014, and slid down to 5th on the Rams' WR depth chart in the process. If the Rams re-sign Kenny Britt, Givens will likely remain at the bottom of the depth chart. The salary cap space saved by releasing Givens could play a critical role in re-signing Britt (or other free agents). The Rams could instead force Givens to take a cut in pay at a later date, similar to Austin Pettis last year. The Rams restructured Pettis' contract in early September. The restructure included a pay cut, which significantly reduced the PPE he had earned earlier in the year. Pettis was then released by the Rams on October 20. Does Chris Givens figure into the Rams' long-term plans?

Proven Performance Escalators will always have a negative impact on the Rams' salary cap. It's a small price to pay for the continued productivity and success of the Rams' later-round draft selections. Look for T.J. McDonald and Stedman Bailey to earn the escalators in 2016.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
It's not a choice between Givens and Sasser for the 90 man. They will make that one easy. He will only be replacing another player that is unlikely to make it in the NFL. I'd be just fine with the guy making the 90 man and see what he has. Sometimes heart and determination trumps all.

Question. If he was never in the military, would he have been given a chance? The answer is no. I'm sorry, but he's a glorified gimmick and Fisher loves his gimmicks. I respect the guy, but I disagree with you. Heart and determination does not trump talent. This isn't Rudy. Good movie though.

Alan

Legend
flv with this:
Cutting a player in May to gain a small amount of cap space, (that might not be needed), would be idiotic. If the team needs the cap space there are better ways to do it. Keeping players whose contracts aren't guaranteed and that don't have imminent roster bonuses costs nothing at this point. Givens is unlikely to be worth $1.542M in 2015 salary, but that decision doesn't need to be made until September. Cutting Givens unnecessarily because he earned a PPE salary increase after what happened with Pettis would set a bad example and send a negative message to the team.
True flv but I wasn't advocating cutting him to save money, I'm not even advocating we cut him at all. I 'm just pointing out that we'd save money, depending on if his salary is high enough to count against the cap (probably very likely), if Sasser were to take his place on the roster. Plus, while I don't have the exact figures, it would probably be in the $1 million dollar range which is not a small amount. Money will always be part of the equation in these matters.

But like I said, I'm not taking a stance on this at all but merely informing the ROD of this bit of info. Information is power.

Also, I found the info about 4th year escalators very interesting and wanted to share that.