Walton accepts offer to be Rams' D-coordinator (JT)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/walton-accepts-offer-to-be-rams-d-coordinator/article_2d16e819-a24c-5947-8d2e-b35289418b4d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 18b4d.html</a>

By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

It looks like coach Jeff Fisher’s search for a new defensive coordinator has reached the finish line. It was nearly seven weeks in the making, but all signs point to Detroit Lions assistant coach Tim Walton getting the job, according to multiple league sources. Walton was offered the job Tuesday, accepted it, and the deal could be finalized by the end of the week.

Walton was among three candidates interviewed by Fisher over the past week and a half. The others were Dick Jauron, the former defensive coordinator of the Cleveland Browns, and Mike Singletary, who has the title of special assistant to the head coach/linebackers with the Minnesota Vikings.

Walton, 41, is considered an up-and-comer in the NFL coaching ranks. He has a good reputation in Detroit, even with the Lions’ overall struggles last season, and in particular is known for developing defensive backs. During his 14 seasons in college coaching at Miami, Louisiana State, and Memphis, he coached nine players that were drafted in the first or second round.

All but one of those nine (Devin Hester) are – or were – cornerbacks or safeties in the NFL, a group that includes safeties Idrees Bashir, LaRon Landry, Brandon Meriweather, Kenny Phillips and Antrel Rolle, and cornerbacks Kelly Jennings and Corey Webster.

Walton has two years of defensive coordinator experience, albeit at the college level, with the Hurricanes in 2008 and Memphis in 2007.

At Detroit, the Lions finished tied for third in the NFL in takeaways in 2011, with 34. That total fell way off in 2012 to 17, but the Lions did improve to 14th in passing defense – or one spot ahead of the Rams.

Fisher tried to hire Walton last season as assistant defensive coordinator/passing game, but he ended up staying with the Lions with a new title of defensive backs/third-down package coach. Walton worked with Brandon Fisher, Jeff Fisher’s son and the Rams’ assistant secondary coach, in Detroit in 2011.

There is also familiarity with the Rams’ defensive scheme because Lions head coach Jim Schwartz worked with Fisher for 10 seasons in Tennessee including eight as Titans defensive coordinator. So it’s a lot of the same stuff.

Although Fisher didn’t necessarily have to hit a total re-set button after Rob Ryan dropped out two weeks ago, it delayed the hiring process. Although the other known candidates are all veteran NFL coaches in Jauron, Ryan and Singletary, Fisher all along has been intrigued by the possibility of hiring a young coordinator who could grow with the program Fisher is establishing in St. Louis.

The Rams went without a defensive coordinator last season because of what turned out to be Gregg Williams’ season-long suspension by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for his role in the New Orleans “Bountygate” pay-for-performance scandal.

The Rams used a committee approach to run the defense, with Williams’ son – Blake Williams – calling most of the plays on game day. Blake Williams’ contract was not renewed, and the Rams informed Goodell earlier this offseason that they were not bringing Gregg Williams back.

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Whew! That wasn't long... (sarcasm)

Not that it was killing me, but I just wanted a DC to be hired so I wouldn't have to think about it anymore.

I like the hire. Young coach, familiar with Brandon Fisher and the Fisher defense (because of his time w/Schwartz).

Some would speculate he wasn't great because DB play wasn't stellar in Detroit, but neither is their talent.

Ultimately, as I have said all along, I have complete trust in Fish throughout this whole process. He will pick the right guy, and I will support him until he gives me reasons not to. It will ultimately be Fish's defense, no matter who is DC.

The main thing the Rams gain from having a DC as opposed to DC-by-committee is one specific person taking on the bulk of the duties. There will still be collaboration, it will just allow position coaches Cecil, Bush, and Waufle more time to work with their players. I still expect McGinnis to be heavily involved in the defensive gameplan, as he has a less specific job title

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hmm...I wonder if he's an X's-and-O's guy or a player's coach? Either way, they're sticking to the same defensive scheme, and he does have a track record of developing good defensive backs (and had a track record of developing good players period when he was at Miami). Lions fans seem to think highly of him as well.

All in all, I'm a fan of the hire. He had some good defenses at Miami when he was a defensive coordinator; Jon Beason, our very own Rocky McIntosh, and Bryan Pata (rest in peace) were other big names.

nittany ram

Rookie
Memento said:
Hmm...I wonder if he's an X's-and-O's guy or a player's coach? Either way, they're sticking to the same defensive scheme, and he does have a track record of developing good defensive backs (and had a track record of developing good players period when he was at Miami). Lions fans seem to think highly of him as well.

All in all, I'm a fan of the hire. He had some good defenses at Miami when he was a defensive coordinator; Jon Beason, our very own Rocky McIntosh, and Bryan Pata (rest in peace) were other big names.

I think sticking to the same scheme was the key criteria in Fisher's evaluation.

IMO, no coach was going to be hired that:

a. could not get onboard with the current defensive philosophy
b. wanted total control. This will still be a collaborative effort.

That's why a young up-in-comer like Walton makes more sense for the Rams DC than an established guy like Jauron, Ryan, etc.

F. Mulder

Starter
nittany ram said:
Memento said:

I think sticking to the same scheme was the key criteria in Fisher's evaluation.

IMO, no coach was going to be hired that:

a. could not get onboard with the current defensive philosophy
b. wanted total control. This will still be a collaborative effort.

That's why a young up-in-comer like Walton makes more sense for the Rams DC than an established guy like Jauron, Ryan, etc.

I agree with that Nittany. I still want to know if he will be making the Defensive Calls. Jim Thomas claimed young Blake made 90-95% of the calls. Also, how involved will Walton be in gameplanning? Does he just get his orders and carry them out? Does he add his .02 in an overall group effort? Does he come up with a plan and the others tweak it?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gentelmen Walton will be making the defensive calls just like Blake Williams did last year the difference is that it's Fisher's scheme and I am sure Fisher or McGinnis would have the right to overrule a call if that felt they had to.

IMO Fisher made the right call here the Rams a young up & coming coach and as I posted in earlier thread Lion fans have good things to say about Walton. Will know the scheme and was very close to coming to the Rams last year, but now he has the "DC" title.

He's young and it will take a few years before teams start interviewing him for Head Coach of course that will be based on the success of the defense. Overall I am sure all will be on board with the hire and although the process took some time I am sure Fisher feels he got the right guy albeit that Ryan was the first choice, but Walton could end up being the best choice.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I wonder how Chuck Cecil feels about this. I'm not sure if he was interested in becoming the DC, but we pass over a guy who has experience as a DC who is a secondary coach (and doing a pretty good job of it) for a guy without much NFL experience who was a secondary coach. It might be that Cecil already expressed a lack of interest in the job, but I can see him not being very happy about the hire if he wanted the job.

Like others have said, I do like the idea of a young coach who this staff can mold and can grow with the team. I am somewhat concerned because the Lions DB haven't been the greatest in the world (though they had numerous problems due to having to cut someone, injuries, etc). I am less concerned because we have Fisher, McGinnis and Cecil here, so even if he is over his head, there are definitely people who can step up and take control of the situation.

Edit note: in Fisher I trust, I should have made that clear...if he thinks he's a good fit, then I believe him

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ldDQWXi.jpg

Tim Walton joined the Lions as secondary coach in 2009. Before coming to Detroit, he was the defensive coordinator at the University of Memphis (2008) and had additional responsibilities coaching the safeties. Throughout his 14-year collegiate coaching career, Walton coached 13 players who were eventually drafted into the NFL, including five first round picks (Patriots S Brandon Merriweather, Seahawks CB Kelly Jennings, Giants CB Kenny Phillips, Redskins S LaRon Landry and Cardinals S Antrel Rolle) and four second round picks (S Idrees Bashir, WR/KR Devin Hester, S Michael Stone and CB Corey Webster).

LIONS COACHING HIGHLIGHTS: Walton coached a secondary that excelled in making big plays in 2011.

Detroit’s secondary accounted for 16 of the team’s 21 interceptions in 2011 which was the most by a group of Lions defensive backs since 2005 (16).

Of the unit’s 16 interceptions in 2011, three were returned for touchdowns, the most by a Lions secondary since 2001 (3).

Lions CB Chris Houston led team with a career-high 5 interceptions for 225 yards and 2 touchdowns in 2011 and was second with 14 pass defenses. Houston was one of only three NFL players in 2011 with 2 interception returns for touchdowns.

As a rookie in 2009, S Louis Delmas finished second on the team with 91 tackles. His other defensive tallies included: two interceptions (130 yds), eight passes defensed, one sack and one fumble recovery. He became the only rookie in NFL history to record a safety (vs. GB 11/26), an interception return for a touchdown (Arz 12/20) and return a fumble for a touchdown (at NO 9/13) in the same season. Delmas led the defense with 84 tackles (62 solo) in 2010 despite playing most of the season with a groin injury.

Prior to joining Memphis, Walton spent the previous four seasons (2004-07) with the Miami Hurricanes. He was promoted to defensive coordinator in February of 2007 and helped propel the defense to a national ranking of 33rd in total defense. In his first three seasons at Miami, he coached the defensive backs and the Miami secondary ranked in the top 10 nationally in pass defense in 2004 (ninth) and 2005 (first).

In 2005, Walton's pass defense led the nation, allowing only 152.17 yards per game, and featured All-Americans safety Brandon Meriweather and cornerback Kelly Jennings as well as Freshman All-American Kenny Phillips.

Walton was at LSU in 2003 and his defensive backs were a key factor in the Tigers earning the 2003 BCS National Championship and a Southeastern Conference title. The LSU defense ranked among the nation's top three in four-of-five major defensive statistical categories: total defense (first, 252.0 yards per game), scoring defense (first, 11.0 ppg), pass efficiency defense (second, 89.8 rating) and rushing defense (third, 67.0 yards per game). Additionally, LSU ranked 18th nationally in passing yardage defense (185.0 ypg) while leading the SEC in four of the five defensive categories, including a No. 2 ranking in the league in pass defense.

In his first stint with Memphis (2000-01), Walton coached defensive backs. In 2000, the Tigers ranked fifth in the nation in total defense (first in rush defense), allowing only 275 yards per game and placed in the top 15 nationally in passing and scoring defense. He left Memphis to coach defensive backs at Syracuse for the 2002 season.

Walton began his coaching career as a defensive graduate assistant at Bowling Green in 1995. He was promoted to running backs coach in 1996 and then moved to coach the defensive backs in 1999.

In addition to his collegiate coaching experience, Walton has had three summer internships with NFL teams. He spent the summer of 1998 serving as a defensive intern with the Chicago Bears, the summer of 2001 as a defensive intern for the Green Bay Packers and in 2004 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under current Pittsburgh Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin.

As a defensive back at Ohio State, Walton lettered four seasons and served as co-captain for the Big Ten champions in 1993. During his time with the Buckeyes, OSU went to four bowl games, including the Liberty Bowl in 1990. He earned his bachelor's degree in sociology from OSU in 1994.

Walton and his wife, Tracy, have three children: Trei, Timia and Tyler.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches/tim-walton/352da08e-9c56-4654-81f2-2f6d6227432d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coache ... 6d6227432d</a>

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
While Rob Wild Man Ryan appeared to be an "exciting" hire at first,,, this move just feels right to me.

I'm happy to see that we didn't end up with any of the (what I'm gonna call) Re-Treads,,, especially the trouser dropper.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher is making great hires and choices, this will be another. If the league is becoming or already is a "pass first" game plan, to have a lock down secondary to shut down the pass game, that's awesome. We have a nasty and mean front four that is only going to be better this year. Rams will be very "Ravens" like on D.

wolfman84

Rookie
I wonder if Walton's hiring would influence Louis Delmas, should we wind up with some extra spending money due to restructured contracts or not resigning DA for some reason. Seems like there is often a connection to free agent hirings and coaches connected with them in some way. Just a thought. Anyone know how much we would still be on the hook for if we outright cut Hunter and Mikell? Not necessarily advocating it, just curious.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Selassie I said:
While Rob Wild Man Ryan appeared to be an "exciting" hire at first,,, this move just feels right to me.

I'm happy to see that we didn't end up with any of the (what I'm gonna call) Re-Treads,,, especially the trouser dropper.

Agreed. The "re-treads" would've been nice for headlines and it might have worked out, but hoping this dude can stay here for a long time.

Still can't help it but...they went from Gregg Williams to Rob Ryan to Dick Jauron (?) to Samurai Mike...and now Walton.

jap

Legend
wolfman84 said:
I wonder if Walton's hiring would influence Louis Delmas, should we wind up with some extra spending money due to restructured contracts or not resigning DA for some reason. Seems like there is often a connection to free agent hirings and coaches connected with them in some way. Just a thought. Anyone know how much we would still be on the hook for if we outright cut Hunter and Mikell? Not necessarily advocating it, just curious.

Yeah, I also wondered if Walton's hiring would give us an inside advantage of acquiring young talent (Louis Delmas) in a position of need. If Delmas does come over, at worst, we're looking at Round II of Delams vs Titus Young. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.freep.com/article/20130212/SPORTS01/130212129/detroit-lions-tim-walton-defensive-coordinator-st-louis-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.freep.com/article/20130212/S ... louis-rams</a>

The St. Louis Rams plan to hire Lions secondary coach Tim Walton as their defensive coordinator, according to ESPN.

Walton interviewed with the Rams on Monday after spending the past four seasons with the Lions.

He was given additional responsibilities with the Lions’ third-down package last year after the Rams tried to hire him as their secondary coach.

Widely considered one of the Lions’ best position coaches, Walton is the fifth assistant to leave the team after a disappointing 4-12 season. Shawn Jefferson (receivers), George Yarno (offensive line) and Sam Gash (running backs) were not retained after the season, and special-teams coordinator Danny Crossman left to take the same position with his good friend new Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone.

The Lions retained the rest of their defensive staff this off-season, including assistant secondary coach Marcus Robertson. The Lions filled the previous openings last month, and they retained the rest of their defensive staff -- including assistant secondary coach Marcus Robertson -- after the season.

[hil]Last year, Walton helped keep afloat a revolving-door secondary that started 13 different defensive-back combinations. The Lions' projected top five defensive backs entering the season -- Chris Houston, Jacob Lacey, Bill Bentley, Louis Delmas and Amari Spievey -- played just one game together last year.[/hil]

Lacey, Bentley and Spievey finished the season on injured reserve, and Delmas missed half the season after August knee surgery.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'm sure he'll work out here, especially given the collaborative nature of the staff. I just don't think his past work speaks volumes to me. Quite a few of those names are more or less flame outs in the pros, so I don't know what to make of that one. I wouldn't hang the weakness of the Lions' defense squarely on this guy, but with the defensive front they had you'd think the secondarIy would have performed a bit better.

I'm not panicking by any means, but count me as a, meh vote.

Vault 82

Rookie
The more I read about this guy the more I feel pretty good about hiring him.

Now we need to get Louis Delmas!!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Vault 82 said:
The more I read about this guy the more I feel pretty good about hiring him.

Now we need to get Louis Delmas!!

Might want to check in with Titus about that first... :box: