Wait, what...did I just hear that right???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
On Football Night in America, when Peter King and Florio do their lil news things, King said (or babbled, whichever you prefer) that St. Louis will have the best situation b/c a.) there is already a franchise QB and b.) have the most cap room of any team in 2013. Maybe he screwed up there and meant 2012, but anyway point still stands. He said Jeff Fisher would be the best fit b/c of these 2 reasons, assuming Spags gets let go. :nono:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah I heard that too actually.

This offseason will be interesting no matter what happens I think.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Spags has never had cap room. Demoff has done great things with no cap room. Lets see what they can do with cap room. My problem with replacing GM/HC...? Who else you got? Fisher/Gruden/Cowher/Billick arren't coming to StL. Change for change's sake is stupid.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
It is a good situation. The biggest issue a new regime would have to change is the losing culture weve had in recent years. I think thats one of the hardest things to change for new regimes. Another reason why people would like to come to St. Louis is the media, its not like the big market media.

As far as talent goes we have a foundation in place, young talent to build around. The biggest areas we need improvement is OL, DT, OLB, HEALTHY depth at CB, and a playmaker on offense.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
We do have alot of Ks up at the end of next year if I remember correctly so that would be believable. Next year Demoff will have to work his magic again tho.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
JdashSTL said:
It is a good situation. The biggest issue a new regime would have to change is the losing culture weve had in recent years. I think thats one of the hardest things to change for new regimes. Another reason why people would like to come to St. Louis is the media, its not like the big market media.

As far as talent goes we have a foundation in place, young talent to build around. The biggest areas we need improvement is OL, DT, OLB, HEALTHY depth at CB, and a playmaker on offense.

And Spags and Devaney had none of that. Except for Steven Jackson and Bartell. And no cap room. And no FA. And an offseason wiped out.

Really an unfair situation.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

And Spags and Devaney had none of that. Except for Steven Jackson and Bartell. And no cap room. And no FA. And an offseason wiped out.

To me the biggest concern is that if we get someone new and he wants to change to a 3-4. We could have to rebuild the defense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

To me the biggest concern is that if we get someone new and he wants to change to a 3-4. We could have to rebuild the defense.

That's my biggest concern as well.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Memento said:
bluecoconuts said:
Angry Ram said:
JdashSTL said:

That's my biggest concern as well.

Hopefully Stan is wise enough to realize we will have 2 studs at 4-3 DE for the next decade and insists on hiring a 4-3 guy.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
I have believed with reason for about 6-7 weeks now that Spags and Devaney were done here. I don't know that it is totally fair or the right call but it just is what it is.

What a lot of comments miss is that Spags would be a lame duck next year and there is little way that Kroenke can justify an extension.

But to address the defense and what would be lost in a change....why not just keep Flajoe?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't think Flajoe does that much with the defense, especially during the games. To me it seems like that is all Spagnuolo, which could be seen as another reason why he should get another year.

superfan24

Starter
What's the problem with making it a playoffs or bust next year with Spags? And if they fall out of it during the season then they could fire him then.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
superfan24 said:
What's the problem with making it a playoffs or bust next year with Spags? And if they fall out of it during the season then they could fire him then.

B/c of public and media pressure. It's dumb, but the days of allowing coaching staffs to layout their plans over a period of time is gone. It's 3 years or bust. Most media jackoffs and knee jerk idiot fans point to teams like the Jets or the Lions who "turned it around" in 3 or fewer years. Those teams had at least some players from previous years to help with the present and future. The Rams' case is totally unique. They had Steven Jackson, Ron Bartell, OJ Atogwe, an aging Torry Holt, and an aging, oft. injured Orlando Pace. That's it. And Atogwe was a great TO guy, great person and all, but let's face it...he was just average.

It's sad and ironic, that on one hands these ppl clamor for the Rams to be an organization like the Packers, Steelers, Giants, Patriots, Ravens, etc. while on the other have the patience of a 3 year old who can't wait until after dinner for dessert, so they can't give the time for this reigme to do that.

Well I wasn't planning on typing up a big rant but there it is.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
bluecoconuts said:
I don't think Flajoe does that much with the defense, especially during the games. To me it seems like that is all Spagnuolo, which could be seen as another reason why he should get another year.

But Spags said that he spent most of the first year here teaching his system to Flajoe. Clearly Spags is the architect but Flajoe knows it and by now can implement it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
jimitroutboy said:
bluecoconuts said:

But Spags said that he spent most of the first year here teaching his system to Flajoe. Clearly Spags is the architect but Flajoe knows it and by now can implement it.

He might be able to run it, but it wont be as good as Spags running it himself obviously, especially making changes through the game. The offense might be stale and predictable, but the defense changes. I think that Flajoe mainly knows how to work during practice and such. When it comes to games that's all Spags calling the plays and blitz packages.

jimitroutboy

@jimiramsboy
Name
Jim Fadler
But the point is Spags isn't going to be there almost beyond a shadow of a doubt. So if gone my point is that Flajoe might be a good candidate for DC under a new head coach.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:

You know after the way all the vets were signed in TC and some possible developmental players were cut I thought someone had told themThis[/i Was the playoff or bust season.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
jimitroutboy said:
bluecoconuts said:

He might be able to run it, but it wont be as good as Spags running it himself obviously, especially making changes through the game. The offense might be stale and predictable, but the defense changes. I think that Flajoe mainly knows how to work during practice and such. When it comes to games that's all Spags calling the plays and blitz packages.

This has always been a gray area on who runs the D for the Rams. it's Spags system but how much influence does the DC have over it.

But it would be nice to know, just to find who's accountable for having the NFL's worst Run defense with a healthy front seven.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yamahopper said:
bluecoconuts said:
jimitroutboy said:
bluecoconuts said:

This has always been a gray area on who runs the D for the Rams. it's Spags system but how much influence does the DC have over it.

But it would be nice to know, just to find who's accountable for having the NFL's worst Run defense with a healthy front seven.

Curious isn't it? You can watch this D during the course of the game and they start out pretty decent against the run then it seems to evaporate. Big gashing runs sprinkled in during the course of the game although 4 out of 5 plays seem to be played pretty well. All the while, a banged up, patch work secondary has played pretty respectable. So damn curious.

Anonymous

Yamahopper said:
bluecoconuts said:
jimitroutboy said:
bluecoconuts said:

THANK YOU! Can't brag about any defense when that STARES YOU IN THE FACE. Spags seems like a good guy.....a guy any of us would like to have a beer with.....but damn that stat is poison for a defensive guru.....just wish more of our brethren would see it too.