Wagoner’s Rams Chat Highlights: July 25

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner’s Chat Highlights

—The Robinson “Struggling” Story? Too much was made of that. Way too much. I wrote the story. I spoke to him for 15 minutes during OTAs and I found it refreshing how honest he was about the adjustment to the NFL. He’s changing positions and he’s learning an entirely different offense. That’s not easy. He’s a rookie who should be going into his junior year at Auburn. I’m not making any promises on how he pans out but he deserves a chance to learn.

—Battle for Starting Jobs? Honestly, things are a bit different this year in that I don’t see a lot of competition for starting spots. Now, the depth chart isn’t settled and there will be good battles toward the end of the roster but as for the starting 22, it seems fairly settled. I think wide receiver has some sorting to do though Austin and Givens will play a lot. After that, injury is the most likely thing to force a battle for a starting job.

—What Happened with Pead? I think it’s a combination of things, KJ, but much of it is from the immaturities you mentioned. He has won some of that back for his willingness to help on special teams but the problem is that he got passed up in the meantime.

—Honestly, the Rams should have done what they probably would have done if they hadn’t been worried about recouping the fifth round pick they’d traded for Brandon Lloyd. Which is stay where they were (at pick 45) and drafted LB Bobby Wagner. That’s not 20/20 hindsight, that’s the player they really liked and they moved down instead.

—Being vanilla in preseason is nothing new. I think that’s how most teams approach it. But based on who the Rams are trying to be offensively, it’s probably unwise to expect them to open up and be something that they aren’t. Last year was more of a difference from who they tried to be offensively in the opening four weeks. This year, if you see some relatively vanilla stuff in preseason it probably won’t be a major departure from what they become in the regular season.

—Does this team have A Chance at Playoffs? Does it have a chance? Yes, I believe it does. I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibility it could be a playoff team. Especially if they have some luck in terms of health. The question for them is pretty simple, can they turn all that potential into production? It’s a bit unrealistic to think that all of those young players can do that but if enough do and they get a bounce or two, they could be right in the mix. I’m still tentatively going with 8-8 but I wouldn’t be shocked if they made a move.

—Dunbar? Based on the details that came out and the fact that he’s being charged with a misdemeanor, I tend to think he won’t be disciplined further but I also would be naive to even try to guess what the commissioner is going to do in terms of punishments with any player. I don’t think he’s the only run stopping LB on the roster but he’s definitely the most physical presence they have at the position. They still need much more from him than they got last year if he retains his starting job.

—Mason a Starter by Week 3/4? I don’t foresee that but I suppose it’s not out of the question. People have undersold the way Stacy attacked his offseason — perhaps I’m guilty of this as well — but he is in really good shape and really worked in the offseason to make himself better at picking up the blitz and catching passes out of the backfield. In other words, he’s more well rounded. Mason has a lot of work to do on some of those details before he can claim the job.

—Top 5 Defense? I think they have the pieces to be that but I need to see the secondary improve before I’m willing to take that bet. I will say this, if the defense is top five, this team’s chances of contending goes up dramatically. Since the offense is still such a question mark, having a top 5 defense can cover for a lot of holes. There’s a lot of talent on that side of the ball and there’s a lot of belief in Gregg Williams around here. My guess is that somewhere between 8-10 would be more realistic but top five isn’t out of the question.

—Benny Cunningham’s Role? It will be interesting to see where he falls. The Rams are high on him, more than many realize, but he’s also got stiff competition in Stacy, Mason and even Pead. It’d be good for him to win the kickoff return job as a jumping off point and then work his way into the mix on the offense.

—When Will Robinson Be Starting LT? I’d say probably two years from now but if Jake Long suffers another injury this year, maybe to start 2015.

—I’m not sold on the open competition talk. I know Schottenheimer said as much but that’s pretty common at that time of year. I do think Mason and Cunningham will push for carries but I’d be surprised if Stacy isn’t the starter barring injury.

—If there is a third QB spot, yes, I think it’s Gilbert’s to lose.

—I believe they are banking on the D-line to help cover up some of the warts that might exist in the secondary. It’s part of the aggressive approach of Gregg Williams where the corners don’t have to cover as long and the D-line can get home.

—First of all, Pointer is no longer on the roster. Rams didn’t bring him back. My early prediction (which I reserve the right to change) is that the CBs to make initial 53 are Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McGee and Gaines. I wouldn’t be surprised if they kept a sixth but for now, that’s my expectation.

—I fully expect Joyner to be the team’s primary nickel corner. Which means a lot of snaps.

Read Complete Chat Highlights