Wagoner: Rams want to extend their own

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...ich-rams-are-next-up-for-a-contract-extension

Earlier this offseason, I wrote that just because the Rams have a lot of salary-cap space doesn't mean they're likely to go out and spend big on outside players. Some of that was because they wanted to re-sign their own current free agents. But the other piece of the equation was that they wanted to sign guys who could be free agents soon and they don't want to again find themselves in position where all of those players will test the market first before potentially re-signing.

As it stands, defensive tackle Michael Brockers and cornerback Trumaine Johnson would be free agents after next season, while the Rams have fifth-year options on linebacker Alec Ogletree and receiver Tavon Austin. Johnson is playing under the franchise tag and Brockers is playing under his fifth-year option. The Rams are hoping to get deals done with both, and coach Jeff Fisher said at last week's owners meetings that they're aiming to get something done with Johnson long-term before the July deadline for franchise players to sign extensions. Fisher also said the Rams want to keep Ogletree and Austin, though it's a bit more complicated in their cases. Fisher acknowledged it's all but certain the team will use the fifth-year option on Ogletree, but that seems more unlikely with Austin given his draft position and what that would cost. In a more ideal world, they could sign Austin to a deal more commensurate with his production.

Also, keep in mind that at some point relatively soon, they're going to have to backup the Brinks truck for Aaron Donald. One way or another, I'm sure the Rams would like to avoid a repeat of this year, where they are unable to sign any of their pending free agents in advance then have to sit through some nerve-wracking moments hoping they don't get outbid.