Wagoner Rams Chat Highlights: Watkins over Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—If I had to bet, the Rams will make a pick at No. 2 on draft night.

—Watkins over Robinson at #2? It’s hard to say but I actually kind of think they would. (Assuming Clowney is gone).

—QB at #13? Lots of rumors flying around about this, particularly as it relates to Johnny Manziel. I’ve said in the past if it was me I’d give some thought to taking Manziel if he was there at 13. But I still doubt the Rams would do it. I’m not going to categorically say they won’t do it, either. There’s a lot to consider if you make a move like that and I’m not sure the Rams could keep Bradford if they did it which is why I say it’s unlikely. I do think the list of possibilities for the No. 13 pick are pretty wide open.

—Why Not Manziel at #13? As you know, I’d be on board with it. But there’s a lot of reasons why not. Starting with what it means you do with Bradford and how that would play out. You better be sure you can trade him and you’d have to have a team willing to take on his salary. I find it hard to believe a situation with both players on the team would work. The only comparable I could think of is Rivers-Brees in San Diego and they toughed it out briefly but that was not a pretty situation, either.

—Barksdale played pretty well in 2013 but I don’t think it was so overwhelming that the Rams don’t see the potential to upgrade. If nothing else, he’s a free agent after this year. I think they need an OT and an OG.

—RB Henry Josey? I know I’d have interest in him but I’m a Mizzou guy so I’m biased. I do think he’d be a nice change of pace/speed guy to add to the mix. I think he gets drafted but probably not before the final two or three rounds.

—Austin Davis? I don’t see him making the roster in 2014 after the Rams draft a QB.

—5 RB’s on the Roster? It could happen again but if it did I would wonder why? It’s one thing to carry five if one of them is a fullback but the Rams basically carried two guys whose primary role was special teams in Pead and Reynolds. Is there really a need to continue doing that? After the draft, we’ll have a better idea of how roster might shake out. For example, if the Rams drafted a WR high, carrying a 6th WR would make more sense than 5 RBs, in my opinion.

—Well, it’ll be hard to get back into rounds 2 and 3 since the bulk of the “extra” picks come in round 7, etc. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to move some of those picks to move up in rounds five or six.

—If they bring in another DT (especially early), it’s going to be tough though not impossible for Cudjo and Conrath to make the roster. I’d be surprised if both made it at this point and it’s possible neither will.

—Watkins and Martin? Believe it or not, Doug, those are the two players I’d be targeting with the first two picks (being realistic about who would be available). And as a bonus, I’d use my second round pick on Lamarcus Joyner. But my opinion means a whole lot of nothing to what the Rams want to do.

—Mack at #2? I think there’s been talk. I know we’ve discussed it here. He’s a great player and the Rams could find ways to use him, of that I have no doubt. But the question is whether you can use him enough and get enough production out of him in what would likely be limited snaps to merit the No. 2 overall pick. Not only this year but into the future. Also, while his value might dictate he’s worth the No. 2 pick, is he so much better than guys like Watkins, Robinson, Matthews whose value meets a need that you’d take him over them?

—Mack at #2–Part 2 I’m personally not a big fan of the idea. I’m not saying it’d be horrible because I think Mack is a great player but I just don’t see him as being a better player than guys the Rams could get who do play positions of need. I’m a believer in aligning need with value and I don’t see Mack as doing that as much as one of the OTs or Watkins would. But maybe the Rams see it different? Maybe they think he is that much better than those guys? We’ll find out.

Read All Wagoner Chat Highlights

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watkins, Martin & Joyner...I'd be fine, however, IMO the back-up LT would be Saffold over Martin, however, Martin could be an all pro at RT.

However, if the Rams went for example Jake Matthews/Robinson, Gilbert & Jordan Matthews that would be good too.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I agree with Softli, I don't know who's gonna take on the Manziel circus, I just pray to God it's not us.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Watkins, Martin & Joyner...I'd be fine, however, IMO the back-up LT would be Saffold over Martin, however, Martin could be an all pro at RT.

However, if the Rams went for example Jake Matthews/Robinson, Gilbert & Jordan Matthews that would be good too.

100% agree on your first two den, but we really need more help at Safety. We'll have our choice of some good ones in the 2nd. We give up too many BIG plays!

I've been looking more at Matthews and he's very good - He may not make it to #44. But you're right, he'd be a great value pick if he is...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
100% agree on your first two den, but we really need more help at Safety. We'll have our choice of some good ones in the 2nd. We give up too many BIG plays!

I've been looking more at Matthews and he's very good - He may not make it to #44. But you're right, he'd be a great value pick if he is...

The second group would relate to a trade down with the Falcons and the Rams getting another second round pick and taking Jordan Matthews with the Falcons 2nd round pick and then Joyner with the Rams pick at 44 thus leaving the Rams with Jake Matthews, Gilbert, Jordan Matthews and Joyner and take a guard in the third round and your OL & Secondary has been solved and you've added another big WR.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
You and me both max!

Funny thing is, Alan, I really like Nick Wagoner. And he does give us more info on the Rams than any other beat writer. But I often roll my eyes at the guys he would like to see the Rams draft and where. That's not meant as a criticizm of Nick. He not a talent evaluator.

I mean, when you read a guy like Te Thomas, now he's a talent evaluator. And boy, does he rip Manziel. Called Manziel a cross between Ryan Leaf and Justin Beiber.

Alan

Legend
max seeing the good in Wagoner:
And he does give us more info on the Rams than any other beat writer. Called Manziel a cross between Ryan Leaf and Justin Bieber.
:LOL: :ROFLMAO:
Like all of us, he has his strengths and weaknesses. I like JT better though.

For myself, I wouldn't draft Justin Bieber until the 2nd round at the earliest. :LOL:

I only saw Manziel once (against Missouri) and I didn't like what I saw. I hope the rest of the league thinks like Nick does.