Wade Phillips plans to implement a hybrid 3/4

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So much for all of the people buying in on the sticking with a 4/3 talk. Read on and it shows that he will be eventually converting to a 3/4. It just takes time.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...plement-his-hybrid-3-4-defense-with-the-rams/

The Los Angeles Rams fans have a lot of changes to look forward to in 2017, starting with the excitement surrounding the addition of the almost 31-year-old Sean McVay as their new head coach.

A very similar sentiment is also felt about the arrival of longtime NFL coach Wade Phillips as their new defensive coordinator.
Barry
Phillips has been part of over 20 top-ten defenses and has coached 30 Pro Bowlers across his illustrious career; which most recently includes an uber-successful two-year tenure in Denver where he coached one of the most dominant Super Bowl-winning defenses in history.

And despite the fact that he was already 10 years into his NFL coaching career when McVay was born, Phillips is happy to be working under the young head coach, who worked with his son Wes Phillips during his time as Washington’s OC.

“He just said so many good things about him, and he thought he was going to be really good whenever he got a head-coaching job,” Phillips recently told ESPN. “That was part of what influenced me.

“His age doesn’t bother me,” Phillips continued. “My age didn’t bother him, evidently.”

Needless to say, that respect goes both ways. McVay will be giving Phillips a wide berth to run the defense how he sees fit; and Phillips intends to stick with what has worked,
Phillips told ESPN he will implement “a hybrid 3-4 defense” that incorporates some of the characteristics of the one-gap system of a 4-3 that the Rams have been employing the past couple of years under Gregg Williams.

While it has been noted that this could leave a defensive end like Robert Quinn having to make some positional adjustments, Phillips stated, “Guys who can rush are going to rush.”

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm surprised at anyone who thought different. This is what Phillips does.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Phillips told ESPN he will implement “a hybrid 3-4 defense” that incorporates some of the characteristics of the one-gap system of a 4-3 that the Rams have been employing the past couple of years under Gregg Williams."

Isn't this what everyone on here has been saying already? It's not a traditional 34 as it incorporates many of the one gap 43?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No surprise. Phillips gave me the impression that he schemes around his players. We'll definitely evolve into a matured 3-4 base in a couple of years once he gets the personnel to do so.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Phillips told ESPN he will implement “a hybrid 3-4 defense” that incorporates some of the characteristics of the one-gap system of a 4-3 that the Rams have been employing the past couple of years under Gregg Williams."

Isn't this what everyone on here has been saying already? It's not a traditional 34 as it incorporates many of the one gap 43?
That's exactly what's been discussed. He said AD would play the same gap assignment he did last year. There are similarities between the systems as Wade also said but there will be adjustments. Very telling the last thing he said was if people can rush the passer then they'll be rushing the passer.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much for all of the people buying in on the sticking with a 4/3 talk. Read on and it shows that he will be eventually converting to a 3/4. It just takes time.

http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...plement-his-hybrid-3-4-defense-with-the-rams/

The Los Angeles Rams fans have a lot of changes to look forward to in 2017, starting with the excitement surrounding the addition of the almost 31-year-old Sean McVay as their new head coach.

A very similar sentiment is also felt about the arrival of longtime NFL coach Wade Phillips as their new defensive coordinator.
Barry
Phillips has been part of over 20 top-ten defenses and has coached 30 Pro Bowlers across his illustrious career; which most recently includes an uber-successful two-year tenure in Denver where he coached one of the most dominant Super Bowl-winning defenses in history.

And despite the fact that he was already 10 years into his NFL coaching career when McVay was born, Phillips is happy to be working under the young head coach, who worked with his son Wes Phillips during his time as Washington’s OC.

“He just said so many good things about him, and he thought he was going to be really good whenever he got a head-coaching job,” Phillips recently told ESPN. “That was part of what influenced me.

“His age doesn’t bother me,” Phillips continued. “My age didn’t bother him, evidently.”

Needless to say, that respect goes both ways. McVay will be giving Phillips a wide berth to run the defense how he sees fit; and Phillips intends to stick with what has worked,
Phillips told ESPN he will implement “a hybrid 3-4 defense” that incorporates some of the characteristics of the one-gap system of a 4-3 that the Rams have been employing the past couple of years under Gregg Williams.

While it has been noted that this could leave a defensive end like Robert Quinn having to make some positional adjustments, Phillips stated, “Guys who can rush are going to rush.”
Too bad you stopped quoting hen you did. Reading the article he cites the last teams he took over all ran a 4-3 and he converted them to his system. They all went to the playoffs when they hadn't the year before he took over.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This doesn't bother me at all as long as the we leverage our existing skill set and draft/sign others with skillz that fit his scheme.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Anyone else think it's easier to find a 3-4 olb rusher than a 4-3 DE? It seems to me that it's very difficult to find a guy who can come in and set the edge in the run game and still be an effective pass rusher. Now the Rams can go after those tweeners that don't have prototypical 4-3 end size, but still find someone who rushes the passer well enough and can learn the run game along the way. I hope Quinn gets healthy because I could see him being a 11+ sack guy in Wade's scheme. Just need a solid rusher opposite him and Donald.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This doesn't bother me at all as long as the we leverage our existing skill set and draft/sign others with skillz that fit his scheme.

I think there is an excellent chance you will see all that and more. With near $44.mil in available CAP before cuts are made, along with a potential for 9 draft picks once the Comp's are revealed, I wouldn't be surprised with a trade or two to help move the process along. jmo.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I wouldn't be shocked if he brought in DeMarcus Ware for a year to fill a needed role. Guy can still rush. Hopefully Quinn can come back stronger next year. Not sure what will happen with the rest of the DE's..

Zero

Pro Bowler

Barry

I think most of us knew what he is running.It is not a traditional 2 gap 3/4.
It will be more similar to what we ran than that.
I have no worries about what Wade runs.He will do what he has always done
and fit his defense around the personnel at hand.That's why he is a Badass.
Our defense is gonna Rock!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Anyone else think it's easier to find a 3-4 olb rusher than a 4-3 DE? It seems to me that it's very difficult to find a guy who can come in and set the edge in the run game and still be an effective pass rusher. Now the Rams can go after those tweeners that don't have prototypical 4-3 end size, but still find someone who rushes the passer well enough and can learn the run game along the way. I hope Quinn gets healthy because I could see him being a 11+ sack guy in Wade's scheme. Just need a solid rusher opposite him and Donald.

3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs have a relatively similar skillset. The key difference being that 4-3 DEs attack past the line of scrimmage most of the time while 3-4 OLB can mix it up; from time-to-time, a 4-3 DE will drop back into coverage. Essentially what I see is a hybrid defense that'll slowly transition to a 3-4 in the near future.

Curious to see Quinn's transition to a 3-4 OLB; Aldon Smith coming out of Mizzou was a 4-3 DE that transitioned into an elite 3-4 OLB under Harbaugh. Wouldn't be surprised if Quinn does well there, especially if it teaches him new pass rushing techniques that prevents OTs from making bs holding calls.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If I want ESPN's take....wait... I don't.

Easy problems are easy... =)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I wouldn't be surprised if Quinn gets cut, if he doesn't accept a re-structured contract. Barron too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Too bad you stopped quoting hen you did. Reading the article he cites the last teams he took over all ran a 4-3 and he converted them to his system. They all went to the playoffs when they hadn't the year before he took over.

I thought I had it all copied. Well that is why the link is there.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think Quinn will get a shot at ROLB under Phillips, not only is it one less starter to replace that should fit Phillips' scheme, but if he's over his health issues, his elite status may be restored. Cutting him in 2018, when his salary to dead money ratio is even more acute is something I can wait for should it become necessary. Of course, if his 'issues' continue into camp, necessity should prevail. jmo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Unless we learn something different in camp (health), Quinn was too good of a player for me to dismiss just yet. His CAP is irrelevant for me if Phillips believes he will return to form as a quality player in his scheme. At this time i'm more concerned who we go after to start opposite him at LOLB, because I don't believe that guy is on our roster. jmo.