Wade Phillips expects offenses to double-team Aaron Donald even more in 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

1567866824631.png

At one point last season, Aaron Donald was facing double-teams on more than 70 percent of his pass-rush reps. Opponents refused to let him beat them, focusing most of their resources on No. 99 up front.

It didn’t work, of course, as he still led the NFL with 20.5 sacks and won his second straight Defensive Player of the Year award.So what’s next? Even more double- and triple-teams, according to Wade Phillips.

Phillips says Donald is ahead of where he was at this time last year thanks to the benefit of training camp. Donald feels the same way, but Phillips knows teams will have an even larger target on Aaron’s back this season.

“Well, Aaron is further ahead than he was. Even though he had fantastic years the last two years, he actually started slow in the first few games,” Phillips said on Thursday. “This year, I think it’s helped him. Obviously, we’ll see, but the flip side of that is everybody’s gunning for him. We know everybody’s going to try to block two guys on him or three guys on him if they can. He’s had that, really, a lot last year, but I expect it more this year.”

It’s hard to imagine teams doubling Donald more than they did last year, but it’s definitely possible. That’s good news for Dante Fowler Jr., Clay Matthews and Michael Brockers, who will have plenty of one-on-one pass-rush opportunities. They have to capitalize on those chances to prevent teams from committing so many blockers to Donald. The more guys that contribute to the pass rush, the better shape Los Angeles will be in.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

View attachment 30065

At one point last season, Aaron Donald was facing double-teams on more than 70 percent of his pass-rush reps. Opponents refused to let him beat them, focusing most of their resources on No. 99 up front.

It didn’t work, of course, as he still led the NFL with 20.5 sacks and won his second straight Defensive Player of the Year award.So what’s next? Even more double- and triple-teams, according to Wade Phillips.

Phillips says Donald is ahead of where he was at this time last year thanks to the benefit of training camp. Donald feels the same way, but Phillips knows teams will have an even larger target on Aaron’s back this season.

“Well, Aaron is further ahead than he was. Even though he had fantastic years the last two years, he actually started slow in the first few games,” Phillips said on Thursday. “This year, I think it’s helped him. Obviously, we’ll see, but the flip side of that is everybody’s gunning for him. We know everybody’s going to try to block two guys on him or three guys on him if they can. He’s had that, really, a lot last year, but I expect it more this year.”

It’s hard to imagine teams doubling Donald more than they did last year, but it’s definitely possible. That’s good news for Dante Fowler Jr., Clay Matthews and Michael Brockers, who will have plenty of one-on-one pass-rush opportunities. They have to capitalize on those chances to prevent teams from committing so many blockers to Donald. The more guys that contribute to the pass rush, the better shape Los Angeles will be in.

You think pressure is on Brockers & Joseph-Day to get the job done better in 2019? If Donald was not here on this DL in 2018 would Brockers & Suh STILL be making over $10 million this season playing in the NFL. How much credit is due to Suh, Brockers, Westbrooks & Franklin-Myers for helping Donald get all those pressures & sacks?

As fans, we are soon to find out if new starting NT Sebastian Joseph-Day can assist Donald this season as Suh helped last season:unsure:. Or did Aaron Donald do the major work carrying Suh, Brockers & JFM?;) Or did they all share holding up the mantel.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
We didn't have much of an outside pass rush. I hope that has changed. If so, the team total for sacks will go up. I don't care who gets them. Sacks and pressures go up and turn overs will to, but the key for all of this will be stopping the run early and the offense starting quickly.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
We didn't have much of an outside pass rush. I hope that has changed. If so, the team total for sacks will go up. I don't care who gets them. Sacks and pressures go up and turn overs will to, but the key for all of this will be stopping the run early and the offense starting quickly.
Very true. If the edge rush improves like we hope, teams will have to adjust. And that means more AD disruption.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Donald had 20.5 sacks last year and he didn't get his first sack until, what was it. . . week 4?

Expect teams to try to play the quick passing game a lot as well. You can double Donald - he can beat it.

Carolina will be a good match up. They should have a lot of short passing game stuff, but with Norv Turner they will be looking for the long ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Carolina won't have time to throw vs this front. Their only hope is the run game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Very true. If the edge rush improves like we hope, teams will have to adjust. And that means more AD disruption.

Fowler is going to have a very good year I think.

He played well last year late in the year and through the playoffs.

I think he is going to have a break out year.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fowler is going to have a very good year I think.

He played well last year late in the year and through the playoffs.

I think he is going to have a break out year.

And Matthews should do more than fine, since there is going to be so much else going on. And I expect at least one of the kids to have a breakout year, especially with a very likely improved secondary to slow things down.

Opposing QBs may very well be screwed

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Think about our 3 safety's and how smart they are. Rapp is going to be a plus player, he seems to have "IT"....They will be in the right place to make plays on ball/player. Our vets will show out weekly this season, they all have the passion to be great in their own way.
Add Clay vet presence and will be fresh as he will be rotated in & out smartly by Wade da GOAT.

Fowler Jr is going to eat this season. I think our DT will be solid and consistent. And Gaines "may" develop into a plus player late in the year. If AD99 & fowler Jr requiring double teams on the regular then our DTs should have a favourable match up most plays and we all can agree their motors are non-stop.
I honestly believe (non-homer) this will be our best DEF in a very long time. Lookat Talib/Wendle/Clay/Brockers the leadership is crazy good. Everyone just needs to do their assignments like in the playoffs vs. going for stat/sack players.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This why we need a high draft pick with some pass rush juice to be added next year. Our other DL seem to be more run stopper types.

If Fowler has a good season, he is in the driver's seat for a new deal unless Obo also shows out big-time.

Then again Fowler with Obo on the other side would be nice as well.

oldnotdead

Legend
I think o-lines can focus on AD at their peril. Wade will bring 4, and with Fowler and Ogbo outside, and Gaines with AD inside they will get push and penetration. I really feel Fowler is going to have a breakout year. Ogbo also looks like the real deal.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This why we need a high draft pick with some pass rush juice to be added next year. Our other DL seem to be more run stopper types.

If Fowler has a good season, he is in the driver's seat for a new deal unless Obo also shows out big-time.

Then again Fowler with Obo on the other side would be nice as well.

Agree, ... i'm pretty much expecting a DE as a replacement for Brockers. Following last season, I believe many of us here were hoping JFM would fill those shoes, ... big disappointment there. jmo.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Agree, ... i'm pretty much expecting a DE as a replacement for Brockers. jmo.

Yeah, was thinking maybe a big-time TE, but after extending Higbee I think they draft a couple DL'ers along with a CB and maybe a C depending what Allen looks like this year.

A very big draft. Having all their picks except their 5th, plus two additional 4ths... Gives them 6 picks in the top 130 to start with. Will be interesting to see what Snead turns them into.

i want to see them add more physicality to the team. More size on the DL, maybe even a WR with size. Reynolds is tall, but not physical.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
last year I said that I thought Brockers would have a great year because of Donald holding out and then getting double teamed. I think he is an awesome player, but did he only have one sack last year. I was wrong on that last year, but I 'll double down.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
last year I said that I thought Brockers would have a great year because of Donald holding out and then getting double teamed. I think he is an awesome player, but did he only have one sack last year. I was wrong on that last year, but I 'll double down.

So you're predicting he will get 2 sacks this season. Dude - I hope he gets more than that.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Even more? Am I missing something?
They double team him every down in every game.
What offense ever plans to single man him?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This is Fowler's chance to have a monster year. Double teaming Donald is nothing new. Not double teaming Donald will wreck the game for opposing offenses. Guys like Fowler have to take advantage because sometimes teams will slide a 3rd guy to chip Donald. If Fowler and Matthews can take advantage, its going to force teams to pick their poison.

There were times last year when no one else could take advantage of the single blocker opportunities they had. Maybe Wade could send 5 guys more often? Double teaming Donald means 4 blockers for 4 guys if they use the tight end to block. 3 blockers if they don't have help. Someone should break loose.

Ram65

Legend
Looking for Fowler and Mathews to get pressure and sacks along with AD. More depth with Ebu and Obo keeping them fresh. Brockers should be a big help as he is playing for a big payday. I can see Wade coming with Littleton, Rapp, NRC, and Johnson on some blitzes. The pass rush can come from different gaps and from different players.