Vontae Davis, R.I.P.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just saw this such a terrible loss. RIP

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
I wonder if it has something to do with CTE. He quit the NFL kind of erratically, quitting at halftime of a Buffalo game. Always makes me suspect CTE. My good friend John spent several years in the NFL as a TE before ACL tears in both knees ended his career. He has CTE (part of the NFL settlement group) and it is really hell for him. He says that most days he thinks about suicide but his kids keep him driving on.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Sad news, 35 is still in the first half of life. RIP

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
RIP. Loved him as a player, I'm sure he was a great man.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Plenty of people are dying young these days. Actually its a huge amount, you see it every day it seems......someone. Lots of famous-semi famous people are dropping and we are just supposed to act like its normal.
They want to act like its normal and its anything but.
CTE, or something else.........................................

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Plenty of people are dying young these days. Actually its a huge amount, you see it every day it seems......someone. Lots of famous-semi famous people are dropping and we are just supposed to act like its normal.
That's because it is normal. People die young all the time. CTE is a serious problem. But these guys know it. The money is too much to resist. And given that choice.....at that age.....I'd be surprised if we, at that age, wouldn't do the same thing......take the money.

I'm 67. When I was 19, 20, 21, etc. all I wanted was to drink up life. I don't mean liquor, I mean life. I played sports....hard. I chased women....hard. I used 'substances'.....hard. I did everything hard. And that continued into my 30's. At a young age, a full life to 50 was much more attractive, enticing and acceptable than a dull life to 75. And as any wise old man might say, your outlook changes as you age. A renegotiation. Now a dull life to 75 - 80 seems like a decent deal. Still don't want to live to be 90, drooling in my lap and not knowing my kid's names or faces. The way I look at it now, I'm playing with house money. Lucky me.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Operation warp speed -- People are dropping like flies but everybody wants to avoid the elephant in the room.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
That's because it is normal. People die young all the time. CTE is a serious problem. But these guys know it. The money is too much to resist. And given that choice.....at that age.....I'd be surprised if we, at that age, wouldn't do the same thing......take the money.

I'm 67. When I was 19, 20, 21, etc. all I wanted was to drink up life. I don't mean liquor, I mean life. I played sports....hard. I chased women....hard. I used 'substances'.....hard. I did everything hard. And that continued into my 30's. At a young age, a full life to 50 was much more attractive, enticing and acceptable than a dull life to 75. And as any wise old man might say, your outlook changes as you age. A renegotiation. Now a dull life to 75 - 80 seems like a decent deal. Still don't want to live to be 90, drooling in my lap and not knowing my kid's names or faces. The way I look at it now, I'm playing with house money. Lucky me.
Amen brother!
I’m 75, still practicing, and hoping to keep working till 80.
(That’s when Wright did his best stuff).
But I am definitely slower, and aware of it, so we’ll see.

Point is, as you said, rust never sleeps, and it doesn’t need to be dull till 80.

I take my ‘05 Road Glide out for a 50-100 mile ride on the weekends, weather permitting, drink Guinness every day, and swim 2000 meters every other day.
Even have an occasional heater couple times a month . Also just spent two years on radiation/hormone treatment for stage III prostate cancer, which looks like I beat.

To your point however, I watched my dad play golf till his mid to late eighties, then do a slow nose dive to 99.

Like you, I don’t want and am not going to do that. Existing aint living.

Have a fantastic 30 year old associate who should be licensed this year who’s been with me through undergrad, masters and now internship - 7 years - and she is a superstar!
75 year old experience and hopefully wisdom pairs well with 30 year old knowledge and certian computer skills in dealing with electronic interfacing with multiple governmental agencies, all of whom are assholes, and her fellow millennials.

This wasn’t supposed to go this long, but you know us old guys.. just never shut up. Won’t be 90 either, accidentally or on purpose.
Again, not into existing - paraphrasing Yoda: live or do not live, there is no exist.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Operation warp speed -- People are dropping like flies but everybody wants to avoid the elephant in the room.

Stop. Just stop. I don't care if that's the case or not; it's not the time nor place to speculate on political crap. Wait until the coroner report details what the actual cause of death is, and don't use the site for political crap days after a person dies. Quite simply, it's insulting and hurtful to the family of the deceased.

The family is free to speculate all they want; it is their loved one and their right to question how their loved one died. You, me, and everyone else may not.

May Vontae rest in peace.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Stop. Just stop. I don't care if that's the case or not; it's not the time nor place to speculate on political crap. Wait until the coroner report details what the actual cause of death is, and don't use the site for political crap days after a person dies. Quite simply, it's insulting and hurtful to the family of the deceased.

The family is free to speculate all they want; it is their loved one and their right to question how their loved one died. You, me, and everyone else may not.

I don't see the vaccine as a political issue, more of a scientific one that people (from each FAR side of the spectrum) want to MAKE political...but I agree this is not the place for that debate.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

I don't see the vaccine as a political issue, more of a scientific one that a lot of people (from both sides) want to make political...but I agree this is not the place for that discussion.

RIP Vontae. Very sad to see someone go so young. Great player and he and his brother grew up and played ball right here in my area.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Plenty of people are dying young these days. Actually its a huge amount, you see it every day it seems......someone.
Well we have 100 times more media to cover every death like never before.
That may be one thing we're seeing.

But I must be very unusually blessed because every person around me seems unusually happy and healthy.

Thankfully, nobody's dropping like flies around me

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
You get it. Some want to act like its not happening. Young teenage boys are now having heart attacks. We did not have defibrillators in middle schools when I was a kid, they do now. Its not like there is no reason for them to be there. They are needed and it is so sad.
Once you have Myocarditis (swollen heart) your life expediency is 6 years.
Vids all over the place of soccer players, tennis players, basketball players falling face first and going limp.
RIP Mr Davis.
Some people are awake, some are not.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
As much as a good conspiracy theory is interesting to engage in, it isn't here.

A young man died. Can we just keep it to that?

No matter what some may think, this thread is turning political and it is not something we encourage here.

Let's just keep it about caring for him and his family/friends.