Vikings may bring back Shaun Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Vikings may bring back Shaun Hill
Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2015, 3:06 PM EST
hill.jpg
Getty Images
By agreeing to send backup Matt Cassel to the Bills, the Vikings need a new backup to Teddy Bridgewater. To fill the job, the Vikings may be bringing back a former member of the team.

Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Pressreports that the Vikings have contacted Shaun Hill’s agent during the three-day negotiating period that opened at 12:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.

Hill played for the Vikings from 2002 through 2005, appearing in one regular season game and throwing no regular-season passes. The next year, he joined the 49ers, whose offense at the time was coordinated by Vikings offensive coordinator Norv Turner. Hill made no regular-season appearances during his time with Turner.

Hill started eight games last year for the Rams, including the opener against the Vikings after Sam Bradford tore an ACL in the preseason. Hill was benched at halftime of the Week One game either because he was injured or because he was ineffective.

At the Scouting Combine, Rams coach Jeff Fisher told PFT Live that he’d like to bring Hill back for 2015 as the backup to Sam Bradford.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That would be a great gig for Hill if he just wants to ride off into the sunset backing up a bridge over trouble water.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, Hill would be a good guy to have on any roster with a young QB. Maybe, if the Rams step up, it might say something regarding Bradford's contract situation or potential draft plans.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, Hill would be a good guy to have on any roster with a young QB. Maybe, if the Rams step up, it might say something regarding Bradford's contract situation or potential draft plans.

IMO I think they go with another option for number two seems like Glennon won't be traded, but you never know...Maybe Matt Moore, who IMO, is the best option in free agency or (gulp) Christian Ponder I only post that because of the history between him & Weinke.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Austin Davis is crossing his fingers.
Bradford, Hill, Davis, possible FA, possible draft pick. 5 possibilities for 2-3 spots.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I would rather have Davis if we only keep one. They played similarly last season, and Davis may actually improve, while Hill has peaked out.

Bradford, draft pick, and Davis.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I prefer Hill over Davis, but neither has a strong enough arm for this team.

With Tavon, Britt, Quick, and Cook the field was too short last year with those two.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I see not one damn reason to hate on Shaun Hill. I dunno, maybe I'm misreading people.

I think the guy really Rammed up and did well behind an OL that didn't exactly help him or the team out.

He's obviously not a franchise guy, but he's a veteran and resource for any new guy and unlike Davis who's play tanked after teams got film on him, he's a guy who definitely CAN fill in for a starter and win... of course, that's presuming the other parts of the team are in win mode...

Not sure what else a top quality NFL backup QB should be able to do.

Also, let's be clear. We haven't had a QB start all 16 games since Bradford's rookie year, iirc and maybe more so than any other team, we NEED a starting caliber backup QB.

Now, how many of THOSE are there in the NFL? Considering there aren't really 32 starting caliber QBs in the NFL, the number of starting caliber backups? Yeah... not so many.

I get it that he doesn't have the biggest arm, but he can throw it QB distance, fer cryin out loud. Just because he throws it 50 yards instead of 60+ doesn't mean our offense has to end within 15 yards of the LOS. If the OL does its job and our WRs continue to develop, then a guy like Shaun Hill would be fine and we would win games we lost last year.

I hope and pray he returns because without a viable backup, it could get ugly.

And as Rams fans, we KNOW what ugly looks like.

It may seem obvious, but...it ain't pretty...

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Also, let's be clear. We haven't had a QB start all 16 games since Bradford's rookie year, iirc and maybe more so than any other team, we NEED a starting caliber backup QB.

He started all 16 games in 2012. But yeah, we do need a quality guy just in case.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I would like to see Hill return as long as it doesn't mean a bidding war.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
So the Rams may lose Hill as a BU QB. The Rams had Keenum and let him go and Houston immediately picked him up, the Rams drafted Gillbert cut him and the Patriots pick him up, and both of those players NEVER got a chance to start when the Rams where out of the playoffs AND NEEDED A QB!!!!!!!!! So that leaves the Rams with Davis as a backup QB who IMHO is not an NFL caliber QB. I lose more and more confidence in Fisher every passing day.

lockdnram21

Legend
So the Rams may lose Hill as a BU QB. The Rams had Keenum and let him go and Houston immediately picked him up, the Rams drafted Gillbert cut him and the Patriots pick him up, and both of those players NEVER got a chance to start when the Rams where out of the playoffs AND NEEDED A QB!!!!!!!!! So that leaves the Rams with Davis as a backup QB who IMHO is not an NFL caliber QB. I lose more and more confidence in Fisher every passing day.
Hill, Keenum, and Davis all suck. We're in trouble if we had to start any of the 3

SierraRam

Recreational User
I see not one damn reason to hate on Shaun Hill.

I recall an Int in San Diego that pretty much ended our season... but I don't hate him. He did do his best under duress, but we should be able to find someone better to back up Sam.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
We should have kept hold of Gilbert (on our practice squad) AND Keenum (Backup) and started with Austin Davis for the whole season, lets be honest after that ridiculously slow start from our defense we were never going to the playoffs. I'm not impressed with Hill, never was. I didn't think he was that much of an upgrade from Davis.