VIDEO: Rutgers' Mike Rice throws balls, curses at players...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21996172/video-mike-rice-throwing-balls-cursing-at-players-in-practice" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... n-practice</a>

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVoOtpDuZwA[/youtube]

Rutgers coach Mike Rice was suspended three games and fined earlier this season for behavior in practice that, frankly, seems a fireable offense. The video above will reignite the calls for Rice to lose his job, too.

ESPN obtained the video, the hours and hours of practice footage, which have been edited down to their worst parts. Rice can be seen hurling balls at players' heads, cursing them out and even using homophobic slurs. On Tuesday, Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti went on ESPN's Outside the Lines to explain his stance on keeping Rice on staff and give background on how the university handled the situation.

"I saw all of it," Pernetti said of the now-infamous videotape. "None of that behavior is acceptable under any circumstance at Rutgers."

Yet Pernetti indicated no lean toward re-examining Rice's employment.

"This was a very difficult situation for everybody the moment we became aware of the video in November," Pernetti said. "We immediately commenced an independent investigation into the matter. ... [It] was not ignored."

But Eric Murdock, who used to work at Rutgers, told ESPN that he notified the university of Rice's problematic practice behavior dating back to last summer. Pernetti's sticking point was that he and others in power at Rutgers did not see the video until last November. The case against Rice came about because of Murdock, a former NBA player who was Rutgers' director of player development under Rice before his contract wasn't renewed after two seasons on Rutgers' staff.

"I was totally shocked this guy wasn't fired immediately on the spot," Murdock told ESPN.

Since the suspension, Rice has been mandated to undergo anger-management counseling and has been under strict monitoring, according to Pernetti.

"I did not have a line out my door of players, coaches, anybody complaining about the matter," Pernetti said Tuesday, adding, "It's not acceptable to the Rutgers standard."

Calling it a "first offense," Pernetti said if something "even within a sniff of it" were to occur again, there would be "worse consequences."

Rice is 44-51 in three seasons at Rutgers.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: VIDEO: Rutgers' Mike Rice throws balls, curses at player

[tweet]319452327268470784[/tweet]

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Point blank guy needs to loose his job. Kicking players grabbing players in the way he did and the slurs he used. This guy needs more than anger management. If i were a parent of one of the players i would be livid

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I played basketball at a small high school for my freshman and sophomore years as a backup defensive point guard. My coach (who doubled as the math teacher, actually; the school didn't have a huge budget) was a pretty tough disciplinarian. She (yes, Coach was a lady) had us do a freaking ton of wind-sprints if we botched a play in practice. She was very hard on us and expected the best. Heh. I remember having to do a lot of wind-sprints because I couldn't shoot the ball worth shit. I still can't. But she earned the respect of the entire team, and there were quite a few of us that had very real issues off the court (I was one of the worst, and I'm a bit ashamed to admit that).

I never saw her push guys around or throw basketballs at them or even insult them like this horrible excuse for a coach did.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I used to have some coaches that used some questionable methods of getting players attention. Mostly in football though.

One of my old football coaches used to get very physical with us. Yanking us around by the facemask and worse. If he was talking... spit was inadvertently flying , horrible bad breath followed , and almost every word was profanity . This coach weighed at least 400 pounds as well. He would knock the shit out of us during drills because of his size. But his intent was to help and we knew it.

This fucking clown is a totally different story. I really find it amazing that none of these players retaliated. I have a mean temper ,,, I can easily see myself taking a hard swing at this guy if I were in the same position some of these players were put in. This idiot is way outta line.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Selassie I said:
I used to have some coaches that used some questionable methods of getting players attention. Mostly in football though.

One of my old football coaches used to get very physical with us. Yanking us around by the facemask and worse. If he was talking... spit was inadvertently flying , horrible bad breath followed , and almost every word was profanity . This coach weighed at least 400 pounds as well. He would knock the shyte out of us during drills because of his size. But his intent was to help and we knew it.

This freaking clown is a totally different story. I really find it amazing that none of these players retaliated. I have a mean temper ,,, I can easily see myself taking a hard swing at this guy if I were in the same position some of these players were put in. This idiot is way outta line.

First time he threw a ball at my head it woulf be implanted in his ass

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Unfortunately these players were probably in fear of losing their scholarships if they did anything

fastcat

Pro Bowler

I dont have a problem with the language, the pushing or pulling, but kicking and throwing balls crosses the line. All my football coaches i ever had cursed like sailors and called us everything under the sun. They even yanked us by the face mask, but none ever threw anything or hit anyone.... Well except the times they went through drills with us (they were unpadded) and knocked the snot out of us, lol. Basketball players are soft to me anyway.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Rice fired as he should have been. However with the lack of concern from the start i believe the ad needs to go as well. Due to a laxidasical lack of concern and action

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

Maybe everyone's just getting a little bit soft. I think it took Bobby Knight actually choking a kid out to get fired. Either way, not cool.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Didn't a Rams coach shove a player off the field during training camp this year?

Maybe it's b/c it's on the pro level vs. college kids, either way there has to be a line. If I were a Rutgers player, I would've told him to fuck off and go to another school to play.

I've been lucky I've had great teachers/coaches/authority figures in my life. I decided when as soon as I was in high school if some other adult gave me flack, I would let them have it. Again, lucky that never happened. It came close (for a stupid reason) but it got solved pretty quickly.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Rabid Ram said:
Point blank guy needs to loose his job. Kicking players grabbing players in the way he did and the slurs he used. This guy needs more than anger management. If i were a parent of one of the players i would be livid
The guy needs his ass kicked. If he did that to my son, I'd deck him as well as the Rutger's top official who now claims he didn't know about it, or knew about it but didn't see the video. Fcuk these lying liars.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

interference said:
Rabid Ram said:
The guy needs his ass kicked. If he did that to my son, I'd deck him as well as the Rutger's top official who now claims he didn't know about it, or knew about it but didn't see the video. Fcuk these lying liars.

Even went as far as saying oh well we didn't have a bunch of players knocking down my door.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Rabid Ram said:
interference said:
Rabid Ram said:

Even went as far as saying oh well we didn't have a bunch of players knocking down my door.
who said this?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

The athletic director saw it on espn