Veteran WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So I think it would be a good idea to bring in a vet WR for camp...not necessarily to be on the team once the season starts unless the Rams DON'T draft a WR and still plan to go with the 5 from last season. I think it would be well worth a low-risk signing like Miles Austin to be an elder statesman.

Thoughts?

RamsFan14

Starter
I'd be fine with that, that'd be a nice solid pickup. What are the chances we sign... Wait for it... Kenny Britt? Doesn't sound too appealing at first, but Fisher knows him as a player when he was in Tenn. He's 25 years old, has 5 years worth of experience in the league, and he was a first round pick. His first 2 years he looked like he was going to be a good player, but idk what happened to him.

I think I'd prefer Miles Austin over Britt, experience is probably more important then potential at this point.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Britt would be one of those signings where I could see the potential upside...and can see the potential downside. I'd be behind the logic of someone like Britt, and I could see how it could work. But I wouldn't be beating the drum for it to happen either.

RamEERS

Pastor
lets just kill 2 birds with one stone... Britt or Nicks are both big bodied receivers that have the experience... however downside of it is that Britt is a bit of a headcase with multiple police run ins and Nicks is often injured...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Only if we can bring in someone who can still play at a high level AND be a true mentor on how to run routes, prepare, handle pressure, etc. To me neither MA or Britt or Nicks fill that bill. Not sure who does either. If that guy is available at a decent price, I'd be up for it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The experienced part sure sounds good. Seems like we have everything in our WR Corp except that. I'd sure like Sam to have a guy like Bolden to throw to on 3rd downs. Thing is... tell me were we find one. Experienced quality WRs are not easy to come by.

Is it counterproductive to bring in a vet and take away reps from one of our young guns? I don't know. I'm starting to think that a vet that Sam can count on is more valuable than getting the young guys reps.

The problem is trying to find a quality vet... I don't think there's one out there ,,, especially one that won't cost a fortune. I think we may be better off sticking with our young guys, but maybe we need to invest in more asst WRing coaches to help speed up their development... guys like Bruce and Holt... but pay them to be full time committed coaches.

I'd gladly add Bolden,,, but that shit ain't gonna happen. Who else is available,,, cause I'm not a fan of the clunkers already mentioned.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Nah. Too many guys coming and going. Stick with what you got and let them develop or draft new ones if they can't cut it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The experienced part sure sounds good. Seems like we have everything in our WR Corp except that. I'd sure like Sam to have a guy like Bolden to throw to on 3rd downs. Thing is... tell me were we find one. Experienced quality WRs are not easy to come by.

Is it counterproductive to bring in a vet and take away reps from one of our young guns? I don't know. I'm starting to think that a vet that Sam can count on is more valuable than getting the young guys reps.

The problem is trying to find a quality vet... I don't think there's one out there ,,, especially one that won't cost a fortune. I think we may be better off sticking with our young guys, but maybe we need to invest in more asst WRing coaches to help speed up their development... guys like Bruce and Holt... but pay them to be full time committed coaches.

I'd gladly add Bolden,,, but that shit ain't gonna happen. Who else is available,,, cause I'm not a fan of the clunkers already mentioned.
Pretty much exactly where I am. I'm not even opposed to bringing in 33 year old Boldin. But at what price and how long of a contract do you offer?

I would like to see more invested in coaching up our current receivers. If that is by bringing in an actual veteran presence - ok. If that is bringing in a guy who is not too removed from the game and was a great receiver - ok. One of the good parts about bringing in a Bruce or Holt is that there is no salary cap issue OR taking reps away from your future hopefuls.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

This is why I said just a guy to bring to camp. The Rams aren't going to roll into camp with just the 5 guys they have now...I think it'd be great to have at least one vet...and preferably a guy that thinks he has a chance and has had some success in the past.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This is why I said just a guy to bring to camp. The Rams aren't going to roll into camp with just the 5 guys they have now...I think it'd be great to have at least one vet...and preferably a guy that thinks he has a chance and has had some success in the past.

Well, me personally,,, I'm giving that spot to Watkins. lol

Seriously though, a vet would seem to be the most logical and productive choice. It's just so hard to find real quality in a WR without breaking the bank. I hope we can lock one up somehow,,, I have to believe it would benefit the entire offense in a big way.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sorry... just saw the part about just for camp.

I'd rather pay for another WR coach instead I think. A full time committed coach to help Sherman.