CAMP REPORT Vet Ram Fan final TC report (long read, sorry)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
2022 Training camp summary

Well it’s all done! What a great time @bubbaramfan and I had. Only problem is these trips are starting to take a toll on us. These old bones aint what they used to be! I hope we can continue until the Rams move their training camp location, but I can’t make any promises. Then there is the expense involved. Now I’m not asking for any handouts, I just want you all to know what is going on. Bubba gets his parking for free, me I still must pay because I’m too lazy to go get my handicap placard from the DMV. So that’s a big chunk of change. Then there is the gas expense. OUCH! Let’s not forget the beers! No happy hour here! I’m just saying this because we love you guys and want to make sure you get the information you all are desperately seeking. This is truly a labor of love with a little self-indulgence thrown in.

Today was the last day open to the public. What a great day it was! Stafford finally getting out there on 11 vs 11 and throwing some! Jalen Ramsey looking in mid-season form even though this is only his third practice in pads. The crowd around us was fantastic! RAMS HOUSE chant? They all joined in. Saw someone wearing an opposing team jersey? They let them have it! Both Bubba and I came away with making new friends (I’m talking to you Rudy!) and enjoy each other as Rams Fans!

So let’s get to the meat of the matter, not the vegetables, not the mashed potatoes. Just the meat!

Sam (Bubba) has been doing a great job with his write ups. @RamBall also contributed when he came down from Central California (was great seeing him again after missing him last year). I’ve been doing mostly photos and live posts. So here are my takes and mine alone:

QB: Stafford, Wolford, then anybody else. Wolford has had some valuable experience this camp running the #1 offense. His arm strength has improved witnessed by two or three deep balls to Atwell. Goes through his progression well. Oh, he’s had his bad moments but overall, marked improvement from last season. Perkins? Horrible, really dropped off from last year. First read covered? Time to run. Weak arm, not accurate. He has the most interceptions during camp at 6 I believe. I also believe he has taken more “sacks” than Wolford. What about young Perez? Not enough opportunities to show his stuff. He was brought in as a camp arm and he did his duty. I would like to see him stashed on the practice squad although I don’t think he would like to stay there and would want to go back to the USFL where he would have a better opportunity for playing time.

WR: Kupp is Kupp, enough said. Robinson is such a great addition! He high points the contested balls, catches everything else and is big and powerful. He is going to be a beast! Atwell. You all have heard my praises of Tutu. I love this kid. Only thing, don’t use him on crossing routes or underneath stuff. Ramsey was on him on a crossing route and all Jalen had to do was reach over the top of him bat the ball down. Let him use his speed. He seems to have corrected his tendency of taking plays off and is now selling his route each snap. Guess what? He can block also! Brandon Powell has impressed Bubba and me. Very versatile, willing blocker, sure hands. I think he’s on the 53 and not just as a punt/kickoff returner. Skowronek, Landon Akers seem to be the same type. They can serve a roll on this team. Lance McCutcheon, Jackson looks like they will be released. Van Jefferson will be IR’d for a short term, however that works out.

RB: Hard to judge this position without real contact being made. Akers, Hendo are locks. Ackers looking good with no sign of discomfort from his knee issue. Jack Funk will also stick around. He is rather shifty and has developed some sure hands out of the backfield. Raggs, Rose will be released. Williams, tough call based on his draft status and injury. Not enough body of work. Calais will be on special teams.

OL: I’m disappointed in Bruss not breaking into the first team. Thought he had the makings but was not to be. Allan at center, Shelton RG, Have RT, Edwards LG, Noteboom LT. There, that was easy. Don’t ask about the rest, too hard tell based on where they were being used all over the line.

DL: You know who we have, not going to spend time on this position.

Edge: Here is where it gets dicey. Floyd is solid, we all know that. Lewis is looking real good and he isn’t wearing any knew braces! Garrett is a solid performer, not really flashy. Can he open up, take the next step? That is what we need from him. I forgot about Ernest Jones, another key contributor to our defense. Can’t really point to any one particular thing he did well but also can’t say he sucked.

DL: Another group set in stone, AD, AR, GG. The three Amigos! Bobby Brown, biggest guy on the field. Do your time and stay in shape and show us what you got. Just his size alone is a reason for OC to change their game plan. He could be a monster for us. The others are backups.

DB: So many good things coming out of this group. Let’s get the obvious out of the way. Ramsey with only one day in pads is still in top shape and form. He was covering Robinson 1 on 1 and it was really something to see Ramsey set 10 yrds off the line, back pedal at the snap then stop and charge Robinson who was doing a curl. No balls were thrown to AR when Ramsey was in coverage. Long, Rapp all looking like the vets they are with only a couple of missteps along the way. Scott is the same way. Rochelle is the one I feel will surprise a lot people. Fluid movements, fast recovery, doesn’t let himself get turned around and taken out of a play.

Let me address Durant and Kendrick. Loved them both. For rookies, they play like 3 year vets. Kendricks was tasked with covering Alan Robinson often. He stayed with him, drew a few flags but got the education necessary to become elite. Robinson won all the time but not without a fight. Durant has had I think 3 interceptions during camp and they were not the easy kind! If one of those two pans out, we’re golden.

Centers/Long Snapper: Allen is staring, Shelton is the back up. Long snapper is Orzech. That is all. The experiment with Rodger Carter Jr, TE as a long snapper doesn’t appear to be a thing.

Okay, I know I left some out and some of you guys will roast me on this but just remember, this is me, what I’m seeing and obviously I’m not an NFL quality scout. Thanks for your time, enjoy the season.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
You guys have been GREAT, so thank you! I really appreciate you daily insight. I know you aren't asking for anything and as a fellow old-timer, you may not have Venmo. But if you do and are willing to share your tag, I will gladly send you a few bucks to help cover your expenses. Guys like you bring so much to the table as a fellow Ram Brother!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys have been GREAT, so thank you! I really appreciate you daily insight. I know you aren't asking for anything and as a fellow old-timer, you may not have Venmo. But if you do and are willing to share your tag, I will gladly send you a few bucks to help cover your expenses. Guys like you bring so much to the table as a fellow Ram Brother!
Thanks man but not necessary. Bubba and I talked about it and we wouldn't mind if you would like to donate to the Wounded Warriors foundation instead.

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
2022 Training camp summary

Well it’s all done! What a great time @bubbaramfan and I had. Only problem is these trips are starting to take a toll on us. These old bones aint what they used to be! I hope we can continue until the Rams move their training camp location, but I can’t make any promises. Then there is the expense involved. Now I’m not asking for any handouts, I just want you all to know what is going on. Bubba gets his parking for free, me I still must pay because I’m too lazy to go get my handicap placard from the DMV. So that’s a big chunk of change. Then there is the gas expense. OUCH! Let’s not forget the beers! No happy hour here! I’m just saying this because we love you guys and want to make sure you get the information you all are desperately seeking. This is truly a labor of love with a little self-indulgence thrown in.

Today was the last day open to the public. What a great day it was! Stafford finally getting out there on 11 vs 11 and throwing some! Jalen Ramsey looking in mid-season form even though this is only his third practice in pads. The crowd around us was fantastic! RAMS HOUSE chant? They all joined in. Saw someone wearing an opposing team jersey? They let them have it! Both Bubba and I came away with making new friends (I’m talking to you Rudy!) and enjoy each other as Rams Fans!

So let’s get to the meat of the matter, not the vegetables, not the mashed potatoes. Just the meat!

Sam (Bubba) has been doing a great job with his write ups. @RamBall also contributed when he came down from Central California (was great seeing him again after missing him last year). I’ve been doing mostly photos and live posts. So here are my takes and mine alone:

QB: Stafford, Wolford, then anybody else. Wolford has had some valuable experience this camp running the #1 offense. His arm strength has improved witnessed by two or three deep balls to Atwell. Goes through his progression well. Oh, he’s had his bad moments but overall, marked improvement from last season. Perkins? Horrible, really dropped off from last year. First read covered? Time to run. Weak arm, not accurate. He has the most interceptions during camp at 6 I believe. I also believe he has taken more “sacks” than Wolford. What about young Perez? Not enough opportunities to show his stuff. He was brought in as a camp arm and he did his duty. I would like to see him stashed on the practice squad although I don’t think he would like to stay there and would want to go back to the USFL where he would have a better opportunity for playing time.

WR: Kupp is Kupp, enough said. Robinson is such a great addition! He high points the contested balls, catches everything else and is big and powerful. He is going to be a beast! Atwell. You all have heard my praises of Tutu. I love this kid. Only thing, don’t use him on crossing routes or underneath stuff. Ramsey was on him on a crossing route and all Jalen had to do was reach over the top of him bat the ball down. Let him use his speed. He seems to have corrected his tendency of taking plays off and is now selling his route each snap. Guess what? He can block also! Brandon Powell has impressed Bubba and me. Very versatile, willing blocker, sure hands. I think he’s on the 53 and not just as a punt/kickoff returner. Skowronek, Landon Akers seem to be the same type. They can serve a roll on this team. Lance McCutcheon, Jackson looks like they will be released. Van Jefferson will be IR’d for a short term, however that works out.

RB: Hard to judge this position without real contact being made. Akers, Hendo are locks. Ackers looking good with no sign of discomfort from his knee issue. Jack Funk will also stick around. He is rather shifty and has developed some sure hands out of the backfield. Raggs, Rose will be released. Williams, tough call based on his draft status and injury. Not enough body of work. Calais will be on special teams.

OL: I’m disappointed in Bruss not breaking into the first team. Thought he had the makings but was not to be. Allan at center, Shelton RG, Have RT, Edwards LG, Noteboom LT. There, that was easy. Don’t ask about the rest, too hard tell based on where they were being used all over the line.

DL: You know who we have, not going to spend time on this position.

Edge: Here is where it gets dicey. Floyd is solid, we all know that. Lewis is looking real good and he isn’t wearing any knew braces! Garrett is a solid performer, not really flashy. Can he open up, take the next step? That is what we need from him. I forgot about Ernest Jones, another key contributor to our defense. Can’t really point to any one particular thing he did well but also can’t say he sucked.

DL: Another group set in stone, AD, AR, GG. The three Amigos! Bobby Brown, biggest guy on the field. Do your time and stay in shape and show us what you got. Just his size alone is a reason for OC to change their game plan. He could be a monster for us. The others are backups.

DB: So many good things coming out of this group. Let’s get the obvious out of the way. Ramsey with only one day in pads is still in top shape and form. He was covering Robinson 1 on 1 and it was really something to see Ramsey set 10 yrds off the line, back pedal at the snap then stop and charge Robinson who was doing a curl. No balls were thrown to AR when Ramsey was in coverage. Long, Rapp all looking like the vets they are with only a couple of missteps along the way. Scott is the same way. Rochelle is the one I feel will surprise a lot people. Fluid movements, fast recovery, doesn’t let himself get turned around and taken out of a play.

Let me address Durant and Kendrick. Loved them both. For rookies, they play like 3 year vets. Kendricks was tasked with covering Alan Robinson often. He stayed with him, drew a few flags but got the education necessary to become elite. Robinson won all the time but not without a fight. Durant has had I think 3 interceptions during camp and they were not the easy kind! If one of those two pans out, we’re golden.

Centers/Long Snapper: Allen is staring, Shelton is the back up. Long snapper is Orzech. That is all. The experiment with Rodger Carter Jr, TE as a long snapper doesn’t appear to be a thing.

Okay, I know I left some out and some of you guys will roast me on this but just remember, this is me, what I’m seeing and obviously I’m not an NFL quality scout. Thanks for your time, enjoy the season.

I like to think spending a year with a confident vet like Stafford vs a young unsure of himself Goff is having a positive effect on Wolford.