Very long article on Janoris Jenkins --

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
tk66.png

Writers of all kinds are always looking for the perfect story. In sports, the perfect story needs two things: a star player and controversy.For that reason, some thought they had hit the jackpot during the 2012 NFL draft. Typically draft coverage centers around the stars at the top, with Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III that was the case in 2012, but there was one player who ultimately went in the second round who was a writer’s dream.

On the field, analysts saw him as a superstar, off of it, reporters could constantly point to different aspects of his college life that could be perceived as controversial. Whether it was for his family life, his drug usage, his multiple arrests or his dismissal from the Florida football team, Janoris Jenkins was put under more scrutiny than any other 2012 draft prospect. That scrutiny was enough to push him down in the draft, but his talent was such that he wouldn’t be allowed to fall too far....

Rest of article, photos, tables, stats, etc --
<a class="postlink" href="http://presnapreads.com/2013/07/04/janoris-jenkins-the-numbers-the-tape-the-verdict/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://presnapreads.com/2013/07/04/jano ... e-verdict/</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I've got this article on read-later. Looks like an awesome piece!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Verdict

Considering the circumstances that he entered the NFL in, by that I mean going from small school college football to the top of the professional ranks, Jenkins’ rookie year shouldn’t be reflective of the rest of his career. Even from his first year until his second he could and should be expected to take monumental leaps.

Throw in the fact that he will be working with a new defensive coordinator who could make important scheme alterations and the product on the field next season may actually be polar opposite to what it was last year. Jenkins has a lot of talent, so in the right situation he could excel and become that all-pro player that his potential indicates he can be.

While there is a lot to take from his rookie season about Jenkins as an individual, the most significant seems to be his long-speed. Long-speed is often overstated in importance for defensive backs. Typically it’s better to be quicker than fast as a defensive back, but that is presuming that you have enough speed to run with receivers from good positions. Jenkins doesn’t appear to have that long-speed that is needed to be a shutdown cornerback at the NFL level.

He can still be a very good cornerback, but whether he can be one of the very best in the league may come under greater doubt if he doesn’t find a way to better handle that aspect of his play.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
He certainly has some issues he needs to take care of.

You'd think with his 40 yard dash time he'd have the "long speed" he needs. Don't know what to say about that except that I hope it's something that is technique related that he can fix.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:

You'd think with his 40 yard dash time he'd have the "long speed" he needs. Don't know what to say about that except that I hope it's something that is technique related that he can fix.
I don't buy it. There's nothing wrong with his ability to shadow a receiver or close on the ball. The way he converged on that fumble that flapperdick coughed up was impressive and demonstrated that "long speed" the author is talking about.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X reading something different than me:
I don't buy it. There's nothing wrong with his ability to shadow a receiver or close on the ball. The way he converged on that fumble that flapperdick coughed up was impressive and demonstrated that "long speed" the author is talking about.
I might have misread that but I understood him to say that Jenkins was great on things like the fumble recovery. I also understood him to say that Jenkins didn't have the speed to recover when a WR went by him.

"In a sense, Jenkins really reminded me of Asante Samuel. Samuel is likely what he will one day become: A cornerback who is repeatedly going to give up plays, but also a cornerback who quarterbacks will fear throwing at."

"Jenkins doesn’t have that long-speed or burst going backwards to bait quarterbacks into throwing him then ball. He can’t run with receivers down the field unless he already has a cushion(that's the long-speed), at least, he didn’t consistently last year."

Both of these quotes are examples of what I'm talking about.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:
X reading something different than me:
I might have misread that but I understood him to say that Jenkins was great on things like the fumble recovery. I also understood him to say that Jenkins didn't have the speed to recover when a WR went by him.

"In a sense, Jenkins really reminded me of Asante Samuel. Samuel is likely what he will one day become: A cornerback who is repeatedly going to give up plays, but also a cornerback who quarterbacks will fear throwing at."

"Jenkins doesn’t have that long-speed or burst going backwards to bait quarterbacks into throwing him then ball. He can’t run with receivers down the field unless he already has a cushion, at least, he didn’t consistently last year."

Both of these quotes are examples of what I'm talking about.
So he's worried about his backpedal? Nobody backpedals off the line without a cushion. He flips his hips very quickly and changes direction in a hurry from what I was able to see, but maybe he saw something (that wasn't a blown assignment) that gave him pause. I don't know - I'll have to bite the bullet and read this monstrosity I suppose. I was kinda busy doing other things, but if I want to speak intelligently about that article, ima hafta read it ar guess.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X wrote:
but if I want to speak intelligently about that article, ima hafta read it ar guess.

I thought it was a very good read. I think you'll like it.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
albefree69 said:

I don't know about you guys but calling Kapernicker Flapperdick could be taken as a compliment.
Just sayin
:rofl: :rofl:

I know I know drive by humor.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Jenkins ran. 4.41 forty at the combine and pulled off a 1.47 ten yard split which is lightning fast. So the guy who wrote this might be right, maybe he does slow up a little 30 yards plus downfield. Much or all of that can be negated by sticking to a guy as he makes cuts. Most WRs aren't as fast as Jenkins so it shouldn't be a huge concern unless he starts losing guys during the route.

This was a fun read overall for sure.