Very basic Gregg Williams blitz, note depth of CBs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Makes sense, it's just one of those things you hear all the time so it had me wondering. I'm sure we'll blitz every now and then to generate more pressure or force a quick throw, as mentioned. I could also see the blitz looks being used to throw off the opposing teams. I guess it all works together.
Yeah. And to your point though, it is VERY important to be able to generate pressure with 4 linemen. That's something we weren't able to do very well over the past several years, and that's why teams were able to have such a high QB Rating against our defenses even in obvious passing situations. Freakin' maddening. If we can collapse the pocket with 4, that's obviously much better than having to send an extra defender in to blitz.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Yeah, it's gonna be awesome. We won't need to blitz, but when we do, our front four will be eating up blockers so hopefully those blitzers will come in untouched. :sneaky:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Someone needs to photoshop the Dos Equis guy for G.Williams.
"I don't always need to blitz, but when i do..."

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Someone needs to photoshop the Dos Equis guy for G.Williams.
"I don't always need to blitz, but when i do..."
3dIF5hI.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A few of my thoughts.

This is from a playbook the Bills used in 2003. They were shitty but had a very aggressive defense. Thats good because the Rams aren't shitty and have been aggressive on defense. Williams wasn't the DC in 2003, he was the HC. So we don't know how much of this one play is him or the DC. That has to be taken into account. Not to mention 11 years ago the NFL was played differently in the passing game.

The corners don't look too deep in the diagram and I would think they could adjust that on game day or during the week while they prepped for a team. I can't put too much stock in a very basic diagram.

This play looks like it is sending 6 guys. An obvious pass play then, and it's a risk to play corners too close because you can get burned. Leoram called this right IMO.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Makes sense, it's just one of those things you hear all the time so it had me wondering. I'm sure we'll blitz every now and then to generate more pressure or force a quick throw, as mentioned. I could also see the blitz looks being used to throw off the opposing teams. I guess it all works together.

Imagine it this way: for many years, Gregg devised blitzes that ALMOST worked. He also called many that did work. Now he has players who can turn the almost working into plays that will work. His reputation will expand along with this defense's increased effectiveness just like Buddy Ryan's did with the talent he developed w the Bears and the original "Bounty Bowl" Eagles of '89.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Exactly. He won't necessarily need to blitz as much, but you have to keep your opposition guessing to dictate the flow of the game.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Haha yeah, rather than saying, "hey you know what, I'm Tim Walton and you can throw the short underneath routes all day long." Haha not trying to put the guy down, but damn, that was frustrating.