Vermeil on Rams v AZ: "Defense wasn't good enough; no choice but to stick with Bradford."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Nice shot at Jake Long at the end there. He did get beat like a drum on that play where Sammy was injured. He just didn't look very good this season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I disagree with "not good enough last night". If your defense keeps the other guys out of the end zone and only gives up 4 FGs/12 points they did their job. 99% of the time you win that game. And the one time out of a hundred you don't it's because your O sucked dog balls with whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I disagree with "not good enough last night". If your defense keeps the other guys out of the end zone and only gives up 4 FGs/12 points they did their job. 99% of the time you win that game. And the one time out of a hundred you don't it's because your O sucked dog balls with whipped cream and a cherry on top.

Yeah I agree Thursday was a case of the offense not helping out the defense much, it's a team game

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Yes, that's a great accomplishment. But they gave up too many yards and that allowed Arizona to play FP. Which ultimately fucked the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Disagree. Yes they *did their job*, but that's not what he's saying. He's saying that in a game where both defenses are very stout, and you have a backup QBs out there, you're not going to win the game on offense. AZ didn't win on offense. They won off the foot of their kicker. Did you think they did well stopping the run when AZ trotted out backups to backups at RB? Let me be clear here, I'm not saying the defense didn't do their job. They just didn't do it up to their capabilities, and that's what Vermeil and several Rams defensive players said as well. There's no *blame* to be distributed individually, because the whole team shares some of it.

We gave up 143 rushing yards and got gashed a few times. We could've played better. We knew they were gonna run the ball and run the clock but we couldn't stop it. I'm sure the defense got worn out though since the offense was so bad in that 3rd qtr.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
We gave up 143 rushing yards and got gashed a few times. We could've played better. We knew they were gonna run the ball and run the clock but we couldn't stop it. I'm sure the defense got worn out though since the offense was so bad in that 3rd qtr.
getting tired of the live and die by the blitz shit.they would blitz two guys in the same gap and just stuff each other letting the RB cut back on a run for a big chunk. if the blitz won't get it done then Williams should have backed off and played coverage wich lets the linebackers find the ball and also makes Stanton or whoever have to take extra time in the pocket. shit job by Williams IMO refusing to adapt

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
+1

V3

Hall of Fame
He probably meant it wasn't good enough to win with this offense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
AZ's offense converted on only 29% of their 3rd down conversions(5 of 17) so the Rams defense got them off the field...yet the Rams STILL lost the time of possession badly(34:24 to 25:36). So our outstanding defense was very likely and understandably tiring late in that game on a short week. I cannot and will not point one finger at our D for allowing some late runs. It's also not the defenses job to score points.

V3

Hall of Fame
274 yards is not too many yards.
It's great for the passing but they were a little soft on the running yards. 143 yards rushing with 4.3yds avg isn't good enough....at least not with our offense.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's great for the passing but they were a little soft on the running yards. 143 yards rushing with 4.3yds avg isn't good enough....at least not with our offense.
Our defense was on the field all night, despite getting AZ's offense off the field all night. Think about that.

tempests

Hall of Fame
We knew they were gonna run the ball and run the clock but we couldn't stop it.

That's how I see it too. Arizona turned out positive gain after positive gain. Two, three yards, just keep the ball moving forward, which is what you need to do against this Ram defense.

They did a good job against the pass rush too. R Quinn was never a factor in this game.

MrMotes

Starter
We held them to 12 points which has us currently ranked #1 in offensive points allowed. But i guess after two straight shutouts 12 points is too much...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We held them to 12 points which has us currently ranked #1 in offensive points allowed. But i guess after two straight shutouts 12 points is too much...
Where are you seeing this?

We held them to a low score but that doesn't help when we have a lower score and can't stop the run. We lost so yeah 12 points was too much lol

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Our defense was on the field all night, despite getting AZ's offense off the field all night. Think about that.
Constant 3 and outs don't play well for any defense.
I'm impressed they played as well as they did.