RUMOR Verified(or not): John Johnson III an unrestricted FA. Not returning

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
I missed the part that it was verified he was not returning? Going to be hard sure but the title was very matter of fact.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Yeah.... I don't see anything in that article verifying that he's out of the organization?

fearsomefour

Legend
Somehow I have this terrible feeling he will be heading up the coast.
Maybe Philly, seems almost all Rams FA DBs go to Philly.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
The article says “if Johnson doesn’t return” at one point. I’ll hole out hope

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'm not going to rule out a franchise tag for Johnson either. I'd say it's unlikely, but not impossible.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Where exactly is the "verification" in any of this? Most of us don't see how the Rams keep JJ but there is ZERO in that write up that says his departure is a done deal. I edited your title and until you can explain where you are getting the "verified" part, please don't post threads with this kind of title.

btfd16

Rookie
Watching JJJ social media the past few weeks, he's gone..

A few weeks ago after the GB game, a fan suggested in a comment that he take a slightly lesser deal (I think it was like 10/year) to stay with the Rams and he emphatically responds "hell no, I know my worth".

That isn't too damning in itself, but the next week or so....

He posted on an Instagram story, that he (and Samson yay) got fired on their day off. He quoted Friday.

Unfortunately, I think it's time to accept the inevitable. If this was all a ruse, I'll be happy to eat crow.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm not going to rule out a franchise tag for Johnson either. I'd say it's unlikely, but not impossible.

Put it this way.He WOULD be a Better
Guy to Franchise than JOYNER or TRU!

That said it is ALL About the RETURN.If you look at ALL THE O”LINE Haters.
JJ was a FREE PICK! Thank you Les Snead.He was drafted with a 3rd so getting a 3rd back in 2022 is not ALL
Bad.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He posted on an Instagram story, that he (and Samson yay) got fired on their day off. He quoted Friday.
That was a joke put on his IG account by one of his teammates. I forget which one but it goes into it in one of our other JJ threads.

I'm not saying he will be a Ram next season. But I will wait for actual news before bidding adieu.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Gonna wait and see until I hear officially official news. I remember back in 2013 when "credible" sources confirmed that Rams signed Rob Ryan as our DC.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We're gonna lose JJ and some more guys on top of that. Not sure how much they get back from restructures but I would assume they are trying to set themselves up to be in somewhat good shape as Gurley and Cooks come off the books. Because FA will be important next year and the year after too when we have no first rounders.

I've accepted we'll lose Floyd too. I want that tag but it's hard to imagine them kicking that can again just for one more year of him.

IMO we're looking at the low end options here. That's the price of superstars. If they add the Packers' center in FA it will require Hav being moved plus more. Which could net us a better line assuming Edwards can hold down the right edge. But then we introduce two unknowns when all we really need to do this year is draft a Center.

Tano

Legend
Gonna wait and see until I hear officially official news. I remember back in 2013 when "credible" sources confirmed that Rams signed Rob Ryan as our DC.
But I believe Ryan was hired as our DC and then the next day something happened between Fisher and Ryan and Ryan put his keys on Fishers desk and said CYA

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We all know that JJ III is going to sign a huge contract shortly. I hoping that he will get close to $10 million a season. He is worth it!

Just maybe enough to get the Rams a 4th rd. compensatory draft selection award in 2022! Hoping that Gerald Everett can net the Rams a 5th CDPA too.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where exactly is the "verification" in any of this? Most of us don't see how the Rams keep JJ but there is ZERO in that write up that says his departure is a done deal. I edited your title and until you can explain where you are getting the "verified" part, please don't post threads with this kind of title.

There was speculation that JJ3 would end up in FA.

That's verified now coming from the Rams twitter account.

I should have been more clear.

As for him definitely not returning... if we base restructured EVERYONE who could be restructured AND extended Stafford to minimize his cap hit, we STILL couldn't afford JJ3 on a Budda Baker like contract which is what is market is.

Prior to the Stafford deal there was an outside chance we could sign him. That's not possible now.

My point was that it's verified that he's an FA.

The math says for all intents and purposes, short of trading several players including Brockers and Havenstein, it's literally impossible to sign him.

I don't care about the title and all are correct that the Rams haven't said they won't pursue him. I'd love for him to return, but short of the NFL and NFLPA growing a brain and freezing the cap for 2-3 years instead of lowering the cap so significantly, we'd have to gut the team to sign him.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We all know that JJ III is going to sign a huge contract shortly. I hoping that he will get close to $10 million a season. He is worth it!

Just maybe enough to get the Rams a 4th rd. compensatory draft selection award in 2022! Hoping that Gerald Everett can net the Rams a 5th CDPA too.

His salary comp is Budda Baker and in September, I think, he signed a 4 year $59M contract. So yeah, basically $15M/yr

When he does get that contract, it'll be large enough for a 3rd, easily.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I pretty much already resigned myself to the Rams losing JJ. With the drafting of Fuller and Burgess, I think we are OK. Love me some JJ, but we just can't keep them all, and that happens to be a position we have depth at. Floyd would hurt to lose.....