Venturi on Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
What does Sam Bradford have to do to lead the Rams to the Playoffs?
Coach Venturi on The Turn

[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/what-does-sam-bradford-have-to[/101]

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
He's not very excited about Ogletree's play that's for sure.

Nice post NB.

BTW, did anyone every tell you you're a dead ringer for Princess Leia?

Speeps

Starter
I think people spoke to soon on Ogletree. I mean he's played two preseason games, 3 last night. Young players need time to develop. Last night he was brilliant.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Speeps seeing things through rose colored glasses:
I think people spoke to soon on Ogletree. I mean he's played two preseason games, 3 last night. Young players need time to develop. Last night he was brilliant.
That's not the performance I saw. He made some brilliant plays but he again demonstrated all the negatives people have been saying about him. His performance was a step up for sure but he has a long way to go. Good thing he has all the physical tools he needs to succeed. Now he needs to take care of the mental part and that's not guaranteed to happen. But I see progress which is what I was hoping for.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sometimes I wonder how people (Venturi included) get caught up in the instant gratification society mindset when it comes to rookies. There's a ton of stuff these guys have to learn when they make the leap to the NFL, and I don't know how we can expect them to play instinctively when their instincts aren't even developed yet. You have to be 100% familiar with what your assignments are, and what your teammates assignments are, before you can be to the point that you're just running around out there making plays instinctively. It's like walking through your own house blindfolded (provided you've lived there long enough) as opposed to a house you've never been in before.

[Ogletree]: "I had a great week of practice and each week I've been trying to get the game to be a little bit slower. So this week, the game was definitely a lot slower for me."

Speeps

Starter
albefree69 said:
Speeps seeing things through rose colored glasses:
That's not the performance I saw. He made some brilliant plays but he again demonstrated all the negatives people have been saying about him. His performance was a step up for sure but he has a long way to go. Good thing he has all the physical tools he needs to succeed. Now he needs to take care of the mental part and that's not guaranteed to happen. But I see progress which is what I was hoping for.
Not seeing things through a rose colored glass at all. I prefer an optimistic realist glass :) Yes, there were negatives. He's young, as I pointed out he needs time to develop, but any time you walk out of a game with 6 Tackles, a forced fum, fumble recovery, TD, and interception, against a good Denver Broncos team, I think that is one heck of a performance. I would argue that the positives far out weight the negatives last night. His first two preseason games were not so good.

I'm confused as to how people are down on this guy after 2 preseason games. He deserves his props for what he did last night. It's the classic case of rushing to judgment. Instant gratification isn't always going to happen in football. Development is still part of the game.

jap

Legend
Rookies always need time to grow, no matter how good they are.

bskrilla

Starter
Anyone remember a certain Janoris Jenkins last year that got caught staring into the backfield a few times which resulted in big TD's?

These guys are young athletic PLAYMAKERS. Sometime's they're gonna make mistakes as they learn how to play defense at an NFL level, but you also see the flashes of monster potential.

Ogletree should be fine. Let the kid learn the scheme and his assignments. It's clear he's going to make plays that win us a game or two.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Speeps revising his earlier statement:
I would argue that the positives far outweigh the negatives last night. His first two preseason games were not so good.

I'm confused as to how people are down on this guy after 2 preseason games. He deserves his props for what he did last night. It's the classic case of rushing to judgment. Instant gratification isn't always going to happen in football. Development is still part of the game.

I think you've been surfing too many other Rams sites. Who are these people that are "down" on Ogletree? Name me a poster on this site who is down on Ogletree. Name me one poster on this site who is looking for instant gratification. Hell, I'm still hoping Pettis will be a valuable member of the team. :bg:

There is a huge difference between people noting a players or a teams negatives that you hope will get corrected and expecting instant gratification. Had your original post been something similar to the blue stuff I quoted above I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you.

If I pointed out that the Rams got a whole 198 yards on offense last night while giving up 446 would you say I was down on the Rams? :lmao:

When I said this, " But I see progress which is what I was hoping for.", I meant it. Hardly an expectation of instant gratification IMO. :bg:

Speeps

Starter
albefree69 said:
Speeps revising his earlier statement:
I would argue that the positives far outweigh the negatives last night. His first two preseason games were not so good.

I think you've been surfing too many other Rams sites. Who are these people that are "down" on Ogletree? Name me a poster on this site who is down on Ogletree. Name me one poster on this site who is looking for instant gratification. Hell, I'm still hoping Pettis will be a valuable member of the team. :bg:

There is a huge difference between people noting a players or a teams negatives that you hope will get corrected and expecting instant gratification. Had your original post been something similar to the blue stuff I quoted above I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you.

If I pointed out that the Rams got a whole 198 yards on offense last night while giving up 446 would you say I was down on the Rams? :lmao:

When I said this, " But I see progress which is what I was hoping for.", I meant it. Hardly an expectation of instant gratification IMO. :bg:
My statements were general. It could be a number of people. Not you in particular. You're a little too defensive to be honest. No secret Ogletree has been taking flak by members on this board and local media. My point was, and still is, he's a young player that played 2 (3 last night) games. Give him time to develop. And yes, I stand my comments about his performance last night. It was brilliant.

And I made the instant gratification comment, because we and I do mean we on this board tend to overreact to stuff. Including the media. And since this thread is about a interview done with Venturi, my comments were directed more at what he had to say than anything else. It wasn't taking a shot at anybody. It was just an observation. That's all.

And no, I wont name members in particular, because I don't feel like going back to research to see who said what and when. Feel free to though. I won't invest that much time to prove a simple point.

And no. I didn't revise my statements. If anything, I gave you extra information to support my earlier claim. Two different things to be honest. My earlier statement I didn't mention anything about his first two preseason games, and I didn't say he didn't have any negatives.

EDIT: X made the instant gratification comment before I did.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Speeps added:
My statements were general. It could be a number of people. Not you in particular. You're a little too defensive to be honest. No secret Ogletree has been taking flak by members on this board and local media. My point was, and still is, he's a young player that played 2 (3 last night) games. Give him time to develop. And yes, I stand my comments about his performance last night. It was brilliant.

And I made the instant gratification comment, because we and I do mean we on this board tend to overreact to stuff. Including the media. And since this thread is about a interview done with Venturi, my comments were directed more at what he had to say than anything else. It wasn't taking a shot at anybody. It was just an observation. That's all.

And no, I wont name members in particular, because I don't feel like going back to research to see who said what and when. Feel free to though. I won't invest that much time to prove a simple point.

And no. I didn't revise my statements. If anything, I gave you extra information to support my earlier claim. Two different things to be honest. My earlier statement I didn't mention anything about his first two preseason games, and I didn't say he didn't have any negatives.

I'm not being defensive about my view at all. That's why I talked about the whole board. My point was that I think you and X are misunderstanding the criticism of people like me and coach Venturi. We are just pointing out reality as we see it. Neither of us expect him to be a Pro Bowl player right out of the box. We just see the flaws in his game that he needs to work on. I think both of us think he has a very high ceiling that he will eventually reach.

Where you and I (and maybe X) differ is in what we take away from the same sentence. Both of us listen to comments or read someone and see something different in them. I agree with your view of Ogletree but I disagree with your assessment of where we're coming from when we comment about him.

It's all good and I have no problem with your view about this. I just don't agree with it. That's not to say that there aren't many out their who do expect instant gratification, just not on this board. But maybe there are and i just missed that post. :bg:

Speeps

Starter
albefree69 said:
Speeps added:

I'm not being defensive about my view at all. That's why I talked about the whole board. My point was that I think you and X are misunderstanding the criticism of people like me and coach Venturi. We are just pointing out reality as we see it. Neither of us expect him to be a Pro Bowl player right out of the box. We just see the flaws in his game that he needs to work on. I think both of us think he has a very high ceiling that he will eventually reach.

Where you and I (and maybe X) differ is in what we take away from the same sentence. Both of us listen to comments or read someone and see something different in them. I agree with your view of Ogletree but I disagree with your assessment of where we're coming from when we comment about him.

It's all good and I have no problem with your view about this. I just don't agree with it. That's not to say that there aren't many out their who do expect instant gratification, just not on this board. But maybe there are and i just missed that post. :bg:
Understood :)

Good discussion!