VanValkenburg out, Thomas in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Leading up to Sunday’s game against the Seattle Seahawks, the Los Angeles Rams made a couple of roster moves. The team announced it has signed Keir Thomas to the active roster and waived Zach VanValkenburg to make room for him.

Thomas has been on the practice squad since the start of the regular season and will now get an opportunity to contribute on Sundays. VanValkenburg made the 53-man roster out of training camp but has just one sack and nine tackles in nine games played.

Thomas was a standout player in the preseason, recording 2.5 sacks and four quarterback hits. It was mildly surprising that he didn’t make the team out of camp, but he’s a talented edge rusher who could contribute in the near future.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Keir Thomas was one of my favorite players this preseason, he flashed a ton and made some great plays against both run and pass. I was shocked he didn't make the 53. Here's hoping.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm guessing the difference between the two players is that Thomas is not as fast/quick as Vanvalkenerg. That's how it looks when watching them play. Plus I recall McVay saying "That's my guy", about Vanvalkenberg. McVay seems to favor certain players, regardless of talent. He used to love Wolford.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Welp, some guys just need to the opportunity.

Here's his. Hope he makes the most of it.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I'm guessing the difference between the two players is that Thomas is not as fast/quick as Vanvalkenerg. That's how it looks when watching them play.

Yeah, Thomas is a heftier dude. He's listed at 275, whereas a guy like Nick Hampton is only 235.

Thomas had some good bull rushes in preseason, had a good mix of speed and power. Also held up well at point of attack vs. the run. Really hoping Thomas can show something as part of the rotation.

oldnotdead

Legend
Kier Thomas is super slow for an OLB. He timed at 5.0 when he was 255 so he's even slower now. Hell a lot of OL are faster than he is. He's slow even for a DT. I'm tired of slow defensive players. DK was substandard in regards to speed. Get the picture? Morris loves plodding players.

Hoecht probably walks faster than Thomas runs. His sacks come when he cleans up someone elses pressures. If he's the best Morris can find on his roster he's not looking very hard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Keir Thomas was one of my favorite players this preseason, he flashed a ton and made some great plays against both run and pass. I was shocked he didn't make the 53. Here's hoping.

Agree - Especially if you saw those Run plays Vanvakenburg gave up in the preseason.

I saw him(Zach) in training camp & liked his effort,but then once the lights go on things are different.

I fall into that trap of seeing a player upclose & having to form an opinion on what the eyes tell me.
—Right away you could see he was in over his head.

Thomas has been a Ram longer & flashes well.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So he's going to take VanVulkenberg's 11 snaps per game? Young has played 87.3% and Hoecht 87.1% of the defensive snaps. Hell, Mathis has averaged 12% of the snaps since he was activated. Thomas is needed as relief and if he can do something with so little time on the field, all the better.

muggmeister

Rookie
Kier Thomas is super slow for an OLB. He timed at 5.0 when he was 255 so he's even slower now. Hell a lot of OL are faster than he is. He's slow even for a DT. I'm tired of slow defensive players. DK was substandard in regards to speed. Get the picture? Morris loves plodding players.

Hoecht probably walks faster than Thomas runs. His sacks come when he cleans up someone elses pressures. If he's the best Morris can find on his roster he's not looking very hard.
Could have signed Jason Pierre-Paul at any time this season until 10 or so days ago.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Could have signed Jason Pierre-Paul at any time this season until 10 or so days ago.
I don't know that Pierre-Paul would have signed with the Rams unless they offered more than the League-minimum; and I don't think that was an option for the Rams this season.

Other than the Dotson acquisition, the Rams have not made a single move from the start of the League-year in March 2023 to Now where they have added a player for more than the veteran minimum (or very close to it).

Everything has been about getting the salary cap in good shape, and riding with young players or (if necessary) very cheap veterans. The Rams were (and, I believe have) going to play hard and to win but with the limited talent they have on the roster.

Spending money or trading valuable draft choices were options that were simply not on-the-table.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think that the staff is committed to a rebuild on defense with younger players at this time.

They are giving players already on the team a chance to show what they’ve got so they can decide who is a part of the future and who is not. So an older player like JPP doesn’t fit into that equation.

If the Rams were a possible Super Bowl team and they were desperate for some better players at edge, I think they’d consider someone like JPP.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They're at the point where they need to see which of the young guys has what it takes to help them compete next year and beyond. Thomas has potential. Don't know if he's just another JAG but I think Van Valkenburg is.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Kinda interesting how Mathis got a couple plays this season after coming back from injury and then that was it. Must not have been assignment sound.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm glad they finally freed Kier Thomas.

Now for Tyler motherfucking Johnson.