Van Jefferson, killin' it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I was never impressed with this guy.

He had a good year in 2021 but never built on it, and that can't all be chalked up to injuries last year. His propensity to body catch has come back to bite him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
He had a good year in 2021 but never built on it, and that can't all be chalked up to injuries last year. His propensity to body catch has come back to bite him.
Yeah, he's just obviously not a natural pass catcher.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah, he's just obviously not a natural pass catcher.

Thing is, if he spent sufficient time with the jugs machine, he could make himself into one.

I mean Kupp is no great athlete relative to other NFL WRs, but with the work he puts in and his attention to detail, he has made himself one of the very best.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I agree with all of this but I'll also add that he gave me the impression that he had confidence issues. Which is surprising coming from a receiver's coach but then again maybe he had really high, unrealistic standards because his dad WAS a coach. But I'll never forget the clip of him dropping a pass, McVay telling him to shake it off because we're coming back to him, then thanking McVay afterwards for continuing to believe in him. I, personally, prefer a WR who is coachable but confident enough in himself to know that shit just happens sometimes and that they'll right their wrong at the next opportunity.

It's not like we had a bunch of WR1s at the time he was competing against.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t want to bag on Jefferson, but did we hear a lot of “hard working” accolades in his years here?

I don’t think McVay would put up with lazy, so I bet he followed the rules, but the best know how to out work the other guy.

MachS

Hall of Fame
His 2021 production was due to high volume, not development in his game. Which is why we made the move for OBJ. We all saw how he got completely locked down in the Super Bowl when running as our #2. Doesnt consistently get separation vs man, doesnt catch the ball in traffic, doesnt track the ball well. Glad we moved off him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
His 2021 production was due to high volume, not development in his game. Which is why we made the move for OBJ. We all saw how he got completely locked down in the Super Bowl when running as our #2. Doesnt consistently get separation vs man, doesnt catch the ball in traffic, doesnt track the ball well. Glad we moved off him.

Yeah, fair assessment. I think WR3 is his limit, but he was a decent WR3 that year. He's just not someone who can be counted on at a level higher than that. The writing on the wall was there when TuTu passed him up on the depth chart, despite Van having a huge head start on him.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yeah, fair assessment. I think WR3 is his limit, but he was a decent WR3 that year. He's just not someone who can be counted on at a level higher than that. The writing on the wall was there when TuTu passed him up on the depth chart, despite Van having a huge head start on him.
Not as good as Josh Reynolds, who consistently makes key receptions for Detroit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Not as good as Josh Reynolds, who consistently makes key receptions for Detroit.
Generally agree. The one thing he had on Reynolds was that he was more of a deep threat, but that wasn’t enough, especially with TuTu growing into that role.