Utah State’s Head Coach Talks Mo Alexander

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
We already know that. We're wondering why we don't have a starting caliber FS on the team.

Because in todays NFL, the designation is outdated. They have SAFETIES, not SS or FS, especially in this scheme. They need want players with similar skillsets, who can be interchangeable. And this is not isolated to the Rams and Fisher.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
We already know that. We're wondering why we don't have a starting caliber FS on the team.
Because it's
th
out there.

nighttrain

Legend
I honestly don't think we'll actually see much of Davis on defense during the preseason. If he couldn't make last year's squad with that thin secondary, I don't think he'll get much of a chance this time around.
not goijh tyo
I honestly don't think we'll actually see much of Davis on defense during the preseason. If he couldn't make last year's squad with that thin secondary, I don't think he'll get much of a chance this time around.
Davis on 53 man roster after first 4 games and given credit for 12 games played
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviCo02.htm
train

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
That's the beauty of the preseason and training camp. We shall see how things shake out come August. And if I rubbed you the wrong way with the cherry pick comment I apologize. As I mentioned, this is just one case where we will agree to disagree. better we leave it at that.

No worries my friend. I've been wrong about players before!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Right. It took an injury before he made the team. We have two more rookies on board and he's going to need the same type of 'luck' to make the squad this year.

I get it, you don't like him. I suggest we leave at that.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I haven't read the entire thread but I would like to say that I hope fans and the rams FO is not content with the current Safeties on the roster filling the S position.

Lets keep in mind that we are attempting to win the best division in the NFL.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

LOL!!! Yeah, I have been wondering the same thing. I really think that its hard to find a coverage FS with any range. Let's face it, guys like that are rare. Very, very rare.

We know that Greg Williams has had "great" safeties in defenses past. So I have to believe that he believes that 1) we can work with what we have AND 2) that there just wasn't anyone better available. If you look at the draft, a lot of safeties went off at the bottom of the first. But all of those guys have glaring weaknesses - either tight hips or pedestrian straight line speed. So, in other words, they were "over drafted". I'm just glad that SF was one of the teams that over drafted a safety. For them, though, it's a luxury pick give that they really don't have much room on their roster. Whereas our drafting of a penetrating DL will pay divides - much more so than what the available Safeties would have.

That said, it could be a high priority in our next off season if things don't go well.

That said part 2; our pass rush will make our secondary look really, really good. ;)

nighttrain

Legend
That was in response to the post I quoted from nighttrain.

Perhaps you missed this post in response to what you said:

and perhaps you dismiss a sure tackler with 4.4 speed, fastest DB on roster. Me i think after making squad last year he's up to NFL speed. We'll see
train

jjab360

Legend
and perhaps you dismiss a sure tackler with 4.4 speed, fastest DB on roster. Me i think after making squad last year he's up to NFL speed. We'll see
train
A faster 40 time doesn't necessarily make someone a faster player. If it did, though, the fastest DB on the roster would be Janoris.