Using Redskin O Formations for Projecting Rams O Formations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
I've been trying get a feeling for how McVay will be lining up the Rams Offense by formation. He is known for his use of two TE sets but it appears when passing he only uses mostly 0 TE or 1 TE formations. Looking at the TE formations the Skins and McVay had success throwing using 2 TE sets with a 73.6 completion percentage and 10.4 YPA but, a very limited 87 attempts. The majority of passes came with 0 or 1 TE sets 205 to 260 attempts and 62 to 69.6 completion percentages. The YPA were very similar at 7.5 to 7.8. An overwhelming majority of TDs came with 1 TE on the field with 14.

We can't know the exact formation nor when the throws happen just from these numbers here. I'm going to assume that with 2 TE run formation McVay surprises defenses with some throws and has great success. I always like keeping defenses honest by doing the opposite of what they expect at times.

What I came away with here is that Higbee and Everett on the field together in run sets with some highly successful passing attempts. Like the rest of the league the 3 and 4 WR sets get the bulk of the passing attempts, yards and TD passes.

Thoughts.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/wsh/washington-redskins
Skins Formations.png

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I kind of find it hard to believe that Mcvay doesn't have his tight ends on the field.

I've been watching a lot of Redskin tape and there is almost always at least one of Reed or Davis on the field. Lots of times both. . . Are these stats only accounting when they are lined up inline?

Ram65

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kind of find it hard to believe that Mcvay doesn't have his tight ends on the field.

I've been watching a lot of Redskin tape and there is almost always at least one of Reed or Davis on the field. Lots of times both. . . Are these stats only accounting when they are lined up inline?

Could be where they line up. It's hard to know for sure. Maybe a little more research. That was my first thought when I saw the numbers. Keep in mind this is only the passing numbers.

fearsomefour

Legend
Running two TEs out that can line up at WR is a good way to keep the D in a base D or run D.
I thought of this with the drafted FB as well. A set with two TEs a FB, RB and 1 WR would be seen as a power set as well. Spreading the TEs and one back out vs a run base could create mismatches.
The lack of motion is interesting too.
The completion percentages are exciting.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Reed lined up in the slot more times than not I bet these numbers don't account for that

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler

No but this just represents passing attempts and not running plays. Mcvay used alot of 3 wr sets from my study and you cant blame him when he has Pierre Garcon, Desean Jackson, and Jamison Crowder. Obviously doesn't have the same quality of WRs here, so he will probably use more multiple TE sets, but I still think he will use a heavy dose of at least 3 WRs because he likes spreading formation and creating mismatches.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anybody know what game Reed was injured? That may account for the low number of 2 TE's on the field...I thought they passed outta 12 personnel a lot too.

Ram65

Legend
Running two TEs out that can line up at WR is a good way to keep the D in a base D or run D.
I thought of this with the drafted FB as well. A set with two TEs a FB, RB and 1 WR would be seen as a power set as well. Spreading the TEs and one back out vs a run base could create mismatches.

How will McVay use the new fullback Sam Rodgers? That's part of the reason I was wonder about the sets the Skins were using.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No but this just represents passing attempts and not running plays. Mcvay used alot of 3 wr sets from my study and you cant blame him when he has Pierre Garcon, Desean Jackson, and Jamison Crowder. Obviously doesn't have the same quality of WRs here, so he will probably use more multiple TE sets, but I still think he will use a heavy dose of at least 3 WRs because he likes spreading formation and creating mismatches.
I will be extremely happy if McVay can start the Regular Season, the first two games at Home, with convincing Win's over The Colt's and Redskin's! Just to get the Home Crowd Fans solidly behind him!(y):popcorn::D
Of course I do expect the Rams to start the Season 4-0 At a minimum!!
:snicker::shades::rockon::cheers:

Ram65

Legend

A lot could depend on the development of Everett (Higbee/Hemningway). IIRC this was posted before (maybe by you) a link showing how the Redskins used Reed with three WRs. You can call it 3 WR Set 1 TE or 4 WR Set because Reed acts as a WR. This is the wide open McVay offense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-already-did/?utm_term=.192388e0b3c9#comments

Everett and Goff will have a lot to learn to be able to do what the Skins were doing. These plays will be the ultimate goal but, it could take a while before they are perfected.

Ram65

Legend

In the link it shows motion but the players come to a complete stop before the snap. A little confusing,
That would be an interesting set by the way.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-already-did/?utm_term=.192388e0b3c9#comments