Using Deadly Force

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am a concealed Carry Holder and have been grappling not with the legal requirements of using deadly force, which in my state means feeling physically threatened or someone else being threatened with violence/death, but with the inner justification of my humanity in taking the life of another. Truth is, even if you are totally justified in the use of a firearm to defend yourself or another, you are going to jail immediately until it's sorted out legally.

I am not talking about that.

I am not a big imposing person. When I was young, I was physically fit and was a trained martial artist. I was even a veteran of the US Navy, but I always knew that no matter how skilled I became, I was vulnerable to the bullrush of a bigger man. When I was really young, I learned that if I wanted to win a fight, I had to be vicious early on and then immobilize them with a headlock to get them to submit. It was weird...I really did not want to hurt them,l but I also didn't want to be dominated. We'd get up from the ground and things would be ok.

It's not that way anymore.

If you watch tv, you see tape of kids walking down a city sidewalk and viciously slug an old woman/man in some sort of knock-out "game," and the victim goes down like a sack of potatoes. Some die or are at the very least, seriously injured. This shocks me. In my youth, I could not have conceived of doing such a thing to an elder. Some are then robbed or worse. It reveals the absolute lack of respect/empathy predators have in society. Like when I was young, I don't want to be dominated by anyone. If you are down and helpless, the predator decides your fate...not just in this situation, but in other ones as well.

When not prepared, the human mind takes about two seconds to respond to an unexpected event. This is why following distance when driving a vehicle is so important, because your mind needs time to process the information and then have time to react. The same is true when you are unaware, but see a danger...two seconds...Think how much time that is relative to an attacker with intent...In two seconds, some have been able to close the distance of ten feet before the victim can react. Some have been able to unexpectedly take a pointed gun from a police officer that wasn't sufficiently aware of the danger and disarm him...and kill him. Think about that. Next time you see a TV show or movie when a gun is held on someone else within five feet, know how stupid that is...(which is most of them).

Now consider yourself walking down a city sidewalk, especially at night on a slightly deserted street. Now you see 3-5 big kids (bigger than you) laughing and grab-assing 50 feet away. Then as you get closer, they quit doing that and whisper among themselves as they come closer, regarding you. At this point, I am turning and walking across the street to see how they react. Do they track my movement and try to cut me off? Or do they continue walking and things are ok? Let's assume they cross the street too, so what do I do then? If I allow them to get too close, my decision (or lack of one) is to trust them whether I meant to or not. Non-action means allowing control to these teenagers. Let's say I have a bad feeling that they have mirrored my movements and are now within 15 feet on a dimly lit mostly deserted street. So I draw my weapon with every intent of protecting myself and scream "Get the Fukk Outta my WAY!" Am I wrong to do so?

I have been told so by those on other forums. Most of the ones saying this are bigger physically than me. They normally say, "They are just kids and you should know how to deal with them without a gun...it's chicken shyte!" It is this response that gives me pause...Am I overreacting to what I perceive to be a physical danger? Although I live in a small town now, I am from big metro areas..I was born in Whittier, but have lived and worked in places like Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Portland, etc...I used to be able to sense when things were ok on a city street and also when it was a little dangerous. But training and a sense of unreality at how unpredictable and heartless some can be, has shaken that sense of knowing.

I am older and in not very great shape now, so I am much more vulnerable to an attack than I'd like to admit, which I hope never makes me over-react in a situation. For these reasons, I will hopefully never be in the above situation again, because I don't really know the answer. The worst of all situations is to realize too late that a person should have pulled the gun and then try to too late..only to have it taken away and then get executed with it....

Besides being TLDR, what do you think?

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Hey Loyal Ram - born in Whittier too!
So is my wife :LOL:
Good to hear

I'm in Central Texas now and I have a license to conceal in carry cause I wanted the option of having my pistol on me when i ventured out to the woods or the city

I don't normally roll with a pistol since i collect Colt .45's and I'm not a big guy - and it's clear I have a gun on me when i do - but when i do it's when i go into town. Cause Austin has weirdos - lots of them

But yeah the whole point of carrying legally is so when knuckleheads comes up on you you can let then know it's a mistake to mess around. That's the whole point of arming yourself. I suggest when you see those kids straighten up and walk tall

I prefer to keep to my ranch and the small town nearby cause everyone knows everyone else is packing so everyone treats each other well.

Funny note: The sheriff told me something i thought was full on Texas - he said if someone climbs your fence shoot them dead, cause if you just wound them they mighy try a lawsuit - so it's best to shoot them between the eyes and the Sheriff's office will drag the body away for free

fearsomefour

Legend
The shady parts of these laws are the "feeling" threatened part. I don't know that is supposed to mean. If someone punches you in the stomach should you be able to shoot them? I don't think so. Feeling threatened is just a wide open gray area. I could see a lot of these cases where someone is criminally cleared in court and loses a civil settlement that ruins their life. Feeling afraid, just being, walking down the street, going about your daily business and feeling afraid is not a good place to be mentally. It can also lead to a lot of issues.
There was a case here where a guy walked out at 2 am or something and found a guy going through his car, broke into his car, the guy stood up and the owner shot him. He got sent away for 12 years or something. Cant shoot people over property crime.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
If you're asking about the morality of pulling the gun, and not the legality, you have to satisfy your conscience not some guy on an internet forum. Like Dieter said, there's non gun things you can do to make yourself less of an appealing target, but don't get yourself killed because @billybadass92 on douchebags.com said you're a chicken for pulling a gun. Not that you would go to douchebags.com, but @billybadass92 probably would.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Never pull a gun unless you intend to use it, never reveal you have a firearm on you unless you feel you're seriously at risk. If some guys are mirroring your movements and closing ground on you, you can make it known you have a firearm calmly, but I wouldn't scream get away all in a panic. If you're not ready to use it, don't carry it.

A gun isn't to make you feel safe, it's not to make you feel like you're more on equal grounds, it's to defend you. If you're in a panic you won't be able to think straight, you won't be able to aim correctly, you may pull the trigger st the wrong time, a LOT can go wrong.

I suggest getting plenty of trigger time, practice drawing in different scenarios to make sure you can do so safely. Get your heart rate up and then do some target shooting, make it harder for you, as hard and stressful as possible while training so if you do need to use it, you're better prepared.

As for moral justification? Think of it less on terms of taking lives, but saving them. I shot people in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it doesn't bother me. The ones that got away do though, losing my friends bothers me. Not the bad guys though, they want to inflict harm, I just beat them to it.

As for the knock out game, don't stress too much about that. It's more common in other countries like Thailand as it's an easy way to target tourists and police aren't good there. A news story basically overhyped it as if it was a huge deal in the states when it wasn't even happening, and a few people mimicked it after the news story, but it's not widespread or even a thing really. Anything can happen so it's good to be prepared, but don't live in fear. Fear plus guns doesn't not equal good things.

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Have to be careful when packing even though you have the right. You are absolutely right about reaction times and the reality of the heat of the moment. I think it best not to pull the gun until absolutely necessary but I'm all for getting your hand on it in plenty of time. Keeping space is all too important these days when meeting others on the street. You just have to be super observant about your surroundings and be the baddest dude in the jungle.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
When I was young, 20's - 40's, I thought I was Bruce Lee Jr. due to years of martial arts training, ego, and watching too many Kung-Fu movies, lol. Now that I'm 66 and have come to my senses, due to the reflexes being shot, I'm thinking of buying a shotgun for home defense purposes.

I live in a rural area with lots of bears and coyotes. I've seen bears wandering down my street. Then there's the heroin epidemic here in the Cumberland area that leads to more crimes such as home invasions. There was one on my dead-end street a few years back.

During my 30's I had a driving job that required me to go to crime-ridden areas in San Francisco and Oakland. The job after that required me to carry cash and documents mostly at night. So I bought a .38 Taurus handgun and carried that with me on the jobs.

One of the things I noticed about myself is that I was always aware of the gun. It was like an extra option in case I got pissed off at someone. Two times I pulled that gun out and pointed it at someone, once for a good reason and once when I shouldn't have. After the last incident I sold the gun and haven't bought one since. A bad temper and a firearm don't mix well.

Hopefully I'm mature enough now to handle it. Any advice on what type of shotgun to buy would be greatly appreciated.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Any advice on what type of shotgun to buy would be greatly appreciated.

For home defense just get a cheaper Mossberg or Remington, something like that. Pump action, and buy some home defense rounds, NOT slugs, I'd caution against buckshot and bird shot as well if you have others in the home. Home defense rounds are usually easiest though, just ask for them.

Get a flashlight extension, you can get some that attach to the pump of the shotgun, which I recommend since you know you have it for low light defense.

That is pretty much all you need, shouldn't run you more than $5-600 for everything. Get one with a stock on there, and don't let them try to sell you a trap or skeet shotgun or a semi auto, it's not what you want, and it's more expensive.

bnw

Pro Bowler
The shady parts of these laws are the "feeling" threatened part. I don't know that is supposed to mean. If someone punches you in the stomach should you be able to shoot them? I don't think so.

Interesting. But in the real world you don't know the outcome. What if the attack ruptures the spleen killing the victim? Or long term disability? When is it right to let anyone or thing attack you in a manner that can cause serious injury? Shouldn't the onus be on the attacker to not attack? The expectation of a lethal response does wonders for an asshole's anger management.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I am a concealed Carry Holder and have been grappling not with the legal requirements of using deadly force, which in my state means feeling physically threatened or someone else being threatened with violence/death, but with the inner justification of my humanity in taking the life of another. Truth is, even if you are totally justified in the use of a firearm to defend yourself or another, you are going to jail immediately until it's sorted out legally.

I am not talking about that.

I am not a big imposing person. When I was young, I was physically fit and was a trained martial artist. I was even a veteran of the US Navy, but I always knew that no matter how skilled I became, I was vulnerable to the bullrush of a bigger man. When I was really young, I learned that if I wanted to win a fight, I had to be vicious early on and then immobilize them with a headlock to get them to submit. It was weird...I really did not want to hurt them,l but I also didn't want to be dominated. We'd get up from the ground and things would be ok.

It's not that way anymore.

If you watch tv, you see tape of kids walking down a city sidewalk and viciously slug an old woman/man in some sort of knock-out "game," and the victim goes down like a sack of potatoes. Some die or are at the very least, seriously injured. This shocks me. In my youth, I could not have conceived of doing such a thing to an elder. Some are then robbed or worse. It reveals the absolute lack of respect/empathy predators have in society. Like when I was young, I don't want to be dominated by anyone. If you are down and helpless, the predator decides your fate...not just in this situation, but in other ones as well.

When not prepared, the human mind takes about two seconds to respond to an unexpected event. This is why following distance when driving a vehicle is so important, because your mind needs time to process the information and then have time to react. The same is true when you are unaware, but see a danger...two seconds...Think how much time that is relative to an attacker with intent...In two seconds, some have been able to close the distance of ten feet before the victim can react. Some have been able to unexpectedly take a pointed gun from a police officer that wasn't sufficiently aware of the danger and disarm him...and kill him. Think about that. Next time you see a TV show or movie when a gun is held on someone else within five feet, know how stupid that is...(which is most of them).

Now consider yourself walking down a city sidewalk, especially at night on a slightly deserted street. Now you see 3-5 big kids (bigger than you) laughing and grab-assing 50 feet away. Then as you get closer, they quit doing that and whisper among themselves as they come closer, regarding you. At this point, I am turning and walking across the street to see how they react. Do they track my movement and try to cut me off? Or do they continue walking and things are ok? Let's assume they cross the street too, so what do I do then? If I allow them to get too close, my decision (or lack of one) is to trust them whether I meant to or not. Non-action means allowing control to these teenagers. Let's say I have a bad feeling that they have mirrored my movements and are now within 15 feet on a dimly lit mostly deserted street. So I draw my weapon with every intent of protecting myself and scream "Get the Fukk Outta my WAY!" Am I wrong to do so?

I have been told so by those on other forums. Most of the ones saying this are bigger physically than me. They normally say, "They are just kids and you should know how to deal with them without a gun...it's chicken shyte!" It is this response that gives me pause...Am I overreacting to what I perceive to be a physical danger? Although I live in a small town now, I am from big metro areas..I was born in Whittier, but have lived and worked in places like Chicago, New York, Washington DC, Portland, etc...I used to be able to sense when things were ok on a city street and also when it was a little dangerous. But training and a sense of unreality at how unpredictable and heartless some can be, has shaken that sense of knowing.

I am older and in not very great shape now, so I am much more vulnerable to an attack than I'd like to admit, which I hope never makes me over-react in a situation. For these reasons, I will hopefully never be in the above situation again, because I don't really know the answer. The worst of all situations is to realize too late that a person should have pulled the gun and then try to too late..only to have it taken away and then get executed with it....

Besides being TLDR, what do you think?
If you are outnumbered and surrounded you have nothing to lose. The first threatening action is cause to draw if not fire. You're in a terrible position so if your drawn weapon doesn't get you ground perhaps their blood will. Nightmare scenario to be sure. At least you're in a stand your ground state.

bnw

Pro Bowler
For home defense just get a cheaper Mossberg or Remington, something like that. Pump action, and buy some home defense rounds, NOT slugs, I'd caution against buckshot and bird shot as well if you have others in the home. Home defense rounds are usually easiest though, just ask for them.

Get a flashlight extension, you can get some that attach to the pump of the shotgun, which I recommend since you know you have it for low light defense.

That is pretty much all you need, shouldn't run you more than $5-600 for everything. Get one with a stock on there, and don't let them try to sell you a trap or skeet shotgun or a semi auto, it's not what you want, and it's more expensive.

Shotgun for the home is best. Just the sound of a shotshell being racked can be enough of a threat to send the novice home invader in retreat. Others more determined at least know they face a shotgun and someone more familiar with the surroundings than they are. Best bet is to call 911 first. I'd also add having a good alert dog is advisable too. Doesn't have to be a beast just territorial and loud enough to give ample warning.

Why a stock? I like this 500 in the home.

View: https://youtu.be/tUHAEvbf_I4

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Interesting. But in the real world you don't know the outcome. What if the attack ruptures the spleen killing the victim? Or long term disability? When is it right to let anyone or thing attack you in a manner that can cause serious injury? Shouldn't the onus be on the attacker to not attack? The expectation of a lethal response does wonders for an icehole's anger management.
I get it.
But, there is such a thing as using a sufficient use of force in response. Most state laws are going to have something like this on the books. Walking out at 2 am and finding someone in your car does not give you the right to shoot them. If they stood up and rush you, yeah, probably.
The onus is always on the attacker to not attack. But, it is a two way street. If someone slaps you you cant reasonably take a brick and beat them to death.
What could have happened....don't know how much legal weight that would carry. A DUI for driving well over the limit is not an attempted vehicular manslaughter charge by default.
My whole point is, avoid it when you can, if its property stuff call the cops and like Blue Coco said, if your gonna pull it, shouldn't be reflexive out of fear.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Shotgun for the home is best. Just the sound of a shotshell being racked can be enough of a threat to send the novice home invader in retreat. Others more determined at least know they face a shotgun and someone more familiar with the surroundings than they are. Best bet is to call 911 first. I'd also add having a good alert dog is advisable too. Doesn't have to be a beast just territorial and loud enough to give ample warning.

Why a stock? I like this 500 in the home.

View: https://youtu.be/tUHAEvbf_I4

I suggest a stock because it allows you to shoulder it. I can handle a broom handle, my fiancée couldn't. Plus as you get older you may find you want that stock. Shotgun is of no use if it hurts you or flies from your hand after the first shot (and I've seen that happen quite a bit). Unless you live somewhere that the stock gets in the way (which is unlikely unless you're in a trailer or a really small house, most American houses are pretty big), it's better to have it. If not for you, for a loved one that may need to use it.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I feel those boasting about open carry or any of the laws regarding it are LOOKING for a reason to use it.

That is all.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I feel those boasting about open carry or any of the laws regarding it are LOOKING for a reason to use it.

That is all.
Perhaps some are but in my experience its the exercise of a right for most people without being made a criminal. I don't see a problem with open carry for those not wanting to cause trouble. BTW every gun show is open carry.