Update on Stedman Bailey/"Probably done playing football" per Jeff Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
That's what I was afraid of as well. I hope Stedman can still live a fulfilling life off the field.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Anybody know what Sted majored in during school? Maybe he can put his degree to good use.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
This is false.

Fisher said Stedman was improving and that it can potentially be career ending. He said 'based on what he's done over the last 10 days, he may surprise everyone'.

Sounds like good news to me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was like a few of the posters....head trauma...surgery over 5 hours...I just feel horrible....I hope Sted can become productive again...this is a tragic ending to his career if this is true.....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Anybody know what Sted majored in during school? Maybe he can put his degree to good use.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...to-know-about-the-west-virginia-wide-receiver

Major: Multidisciplinary Studies -

Multidisciplinary studies programs are not a pre-determined course of study like most degree programs, but instead consist of a unique combination of courses chosen by a student based upon his or her specific educational and career interests. Students may pursue these programs at the associate's, bachelor's and master's degree levels.

Choosing Multidisciplinary Studies
Students who seek an education in multidisciplinary studies typically combine courses from up to three disciplines. For example, a student interested in a leadership role in a museum can create an individualized program with courses in history, fine art, anthropology, business, communication or design.

A student might choose a multidisciplinary studies program if his or her specific goals and interests cannot be met through a school's existing majors, minors and electives. Multidisciplinary studies is also an option for students who wish to combine completed coursework from various disciplines into a single degree program.

http://study.com/articles/What_is_Multidisciplinary_Studies.html

RamBill

Legend
Suspension ends for Rams' Stedman Bailey; unclear when he'll play
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14315891/suspension-st-louis-rams-wr-stedman-bailey-ends

EARTH CITY, Mo. - St. Louis Rams wide receiver Stedman Bailey's four-game suspension came to an end Monday, but it remains unclear when or if he will play football again after he was shot in the head twice Nov. 24.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Bailey continues to make progress in his recovery from the six-plus hour surgery he endured the day after he was shot.

On Monday, Bailey was eligible to come off the reserve/suspended list following his four-game ban for violating the NFL's policy on substance abuse. According to Fisher, Bailey did come off that list, and the Rams are working with the league to place him on the non-football injury list.

"We'll take care of Sted," Fisher said. "He comes off, he's eligible to play, but by no means is he in any kind of condition to play."

Fisher previously said Bailey would not be able to play for the Rams again this season. Fisher mentioned Monday that it was possible Bailey might not play ever again, though it's too early for such determinations.

"Are you asking is there a potential that he doesn't return to play? Yes, there is that potential," Fisher said. "We don't know. It's just going to take some time. From a health standpoint, there's a chance that he doesn't play. However, based on what he's done over the last 10 days, he may surprise everybody."

Bailey has made steady progress in his recovery from the shooting. Before the team's Nov. 29 game against Cincinnati, Bailey's girlfriend sent to his Rams teammates photos of Bailey signing his name. Last week, Fisher told the team's website he had seen videos of Bailey walking at the Miami-area hospital where he is staying. Bailey himself took to social media on Friday to offer an update as well as thanks to his friends, family and fans for their support.

"He's doing better," Fisher said. "It puts a smile on my face when I get to think about him and where he's at [in his recovery]."

The Miami Gardens Police Department is handling the ongoing investigation into the shooting. According to police, Bailey was shot while sitting in a car at round 8:45 p.m. ET Nov. 24. Police said Bailey's cousin, Antwan Reeves, and three others were in the car when another vehicle drove by and fired shots. Reeves also was shot and was taken in for surgery that night. His status is unknown. The three others, two of whom were minors, were unharmed, according to police.

fancents86

Starter
I believe Bailey will still be able to play. I have a feeling he's going to be one of those "the doc said I could never walk again but I did" stories.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/07/fisher-says-bailey-probably-done-playing-football/

Fisher says Bailey probably done playing football
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 7, 2015

stedman-bailey.jpg
Getty Images

Rams Coach Jeff Fisher told reporters Monday that wide receiver Stedman Bailey, who was shot twice in the head late last month, is probably done playing football.

Per Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Fisher said that is related to injuries Bailey suffered in the shooting but Fisher did not elaborate.

Fisher said the NFL has lifted the four-game suspension Bailey was serving for violating the league’s drug policy and that the Rams will place Bailey on the non-football injury list.

Last week, Bailey tweeted that he’s doing well and that his recovery has been “nothing short of a miracle.” He underwent more than six hours of surgery after the shooting and spent time in intensive care.

This is too bad. I'm disappointed if he didn't get to walk away under his own terms. I still think he would have been a quality player in the NFL if he had a chance to fully develop.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hoping that life will be good for Stedman, in or out of football! Life's a bitch no matter what! Here's to nothing but the best for Sted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I have faith that he's going to come back and be better. Things like this are what drives professional athletes.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Since I cannot stop thinking about this let's also pray that when Stedman makes his full recovery - wherever that leaves him - he is still the same person and can enjoy his family and loved ones that are supporting him throughout this horrific injury. Depending on what centre of the brain gets hit patients may not be able to remember their families. Or their personalities can be completely changed. I've seen the calmest people become erratic, and the wildest people become meek after a traumatic brain injury. The fact he is up and walking is great. Fingers crossed the other, non-motor centers are in good shape too. Because unless he got miraculously lucky and the bullet never really hit the brain, instead getting stuck in the skull, something up there is going to be gone and that isn't good. PRAYERS UP!!!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
Since I cannot stop thinking about this let's also pray that when Stedman makes his full recovery - wherever that leaves him - he is still the same person and can enjoy his family and loved ones that are supporting him throughout this horrific injury. Depending on what centre of the brain gets hit patients may not be able to remember their families. Or their personalities can be completely changed. I've seen the calmest people become erratic, and the wildest people become meek after a traumatic brain injury. The fact he is up and walking is great. Fingers crossed the other, non-motor centers are in good shape too. Because unless he got miraculously lucky and the bullet never really hit the brain, instead getting stuck in the skull, something up there is going to be gone and that isn't good. PRAYERS UP!!!!

Maybe he will just forget this offensive play this season. That would be a gift.

Seriously, hope the dude makes a wondrous recovery. I had a wild child cousin who fell 7 stories and came back later as meek and shy.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My son wore his #12 jersey to the Skins game this year and Stedman came over in warmups and signed it and took a pic . Puts the game of football in perspective. What a shame

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Already this post is getting long. But again, I have lots of experience with traumatic brain injury patients so this hits close to home. Just thinking somebody would do this always gets me worked up.
Thank You for bringing a real world and very heartfelt expression of the situation at hand. Our hopes are with Steady and his family. Those cowardly shots affected far more than the man in the car.
Thanks for sharing