[Unlocked] Player Safety - Conditioning - Injuries - Luck

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Seemed like an interesting discussion before you people turned into bitches on me. Let's see if we can actually talk about it and see if there's any merit to the whole, "this regime is going to take a different approach to conditioning and game prep to minimize injuries" notion. I call it a notion because I, in particular, find it to be a fallacy.

Here's why.

1. Fisher can't prevent injuries.

500620b2f92ea1270600000.png

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=P1 ... 32,2980319

2. Backing players off doesn't prevent injuries.: It's been hinted that Fisher knows how to back players and practices off and not overwork them. Well, no he doesn't. He runs the same type of disciplined schedule to which all head coaches adhere. Because they're mandated. Every once in a while a coach will skip a practice after a win, or take a day off of camp to do an organized team activity, but there's no real pronounced deviation from the schedule from Fisher or any coach.

3. Overworking players causes injuries. No they don't. Think back to Vermeil's two-a-days that were the focus of much angst among the players. The 1999 Rams didn't lose too many players, and they were working their collective asses off in camp. To the point of near revolt. Vermeil actually had to scale back his regimen because of those player-only meetings and protests.

3. The injuries the Rams dealt with last year were the result of many things - none of which were the result of the Head Coach. Let's not forget that there was no camp, and subsequently, there was a league-wide drop-off in conditioning. It wasn't just the Rams.

4. There's no such thing as bad luck. Horse shit. Yes there is. Jason Smith making a tackle and jacking his neck up is bad luck. Mark Clayton getting kicked in the patella while trailing a cornerback is bad luck. Saffold tearing his pec while lifting (with the same trainers they have now) is bad luck. Bartell landing on his leg the wrong way and getting it stuck in the turf is bad luck. Amendola getting up off the ground and twisting his arm 180 degrees is bad luck. Feeley banging his hand on the top of a helmet (very common injury) is bad luck.

5. It was inevitable signing guys with an injury history. Yeah, probably. Cadillac (who, ironically, didn't get injured), Norwood, Alexander, Harris, etc. Off the top of your head though, can someone quickly name 10 players who have never been injured while playing in the NFL?

Here's what I think. 2011 was ridiculous for a lot of teams, but the Rams were hit hard on the side of the ball that mattered most. Offense. New system, no camp, new players, and nothing came naturally. Injuries can *maybe* be minimized if players are running around and not thinking about what they're supposed to do in favor of doing what comes naturally, but even then ... it's negligible. The Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc., they all wind up with injuries that can only be attributed to shitty luck. And I'm not talking about voodoo or some mystical magic 8-ball type of luck. Just the definition of same. Specifically....

Luck (noun): Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

Anonymous

Re: [Unlocked] Player Safety - Conditioning - Injuries - Luc

X said:
Seemed like an interesting discussion before you people turned into bitches on me. Let's see if we can actually talk about it and see if there's any merit to the whole, "this regime is going to take a different approach to conditioning and game prep to minimize injuries" notion. I call it a notion because I, in particular, find it to be a fallacy.

Here's why.

[ Image ]

2. Backing players off doesn't prevent injuries.: It's been hinted that Fisher knows how to back players and practices off and not overwork them. Well, no he doesn't. He runs the same type of disciplined schedule to which all head coaches adhere. Because they're mandated. Every once in a while a coach will skip a practice after a win, or take a day off of camp to do an organized team activity, but there's no real pronounced deviation from the schedule from Fisher or any coach.

3. Overworking players causes injuries. No they don't. Think back to Vermeil's two-a-days that were the focus of much angst among the players. The 1999 Rams didn't lose too many players, and they were working their collective asses off in camp. To the point of near revolt. Vermeil actually had to scale back his regimen because of those player-only meetings and protests.

3. The injuries the Rams dealt with last year were the result of many things - none of which were the result of the Head Coach. Let's not forget that there was no camp, and subsequently, there was a league-wide drop-off in conditioning. It wasn't just the Rams.

4. There's no such thing as bad luck. Horse shyte. Yes there is. Jason Smith making a tackle and jacking his neck up is bad luck. Mark Clayton getting kicked in the patella while trailing a cornerback is bad luck. Saffold tearing his pec while lifting (with the same trainers they have now) is bad luck. Bartell landing on his leg the wrong way and getting it stuck in the turf is bad luck. Amendola getting up off the ground and twisting his arm 180 degrees is bad luck. Feeley banging his hand on the top of a helmet (very common injury) is bad luck.

5. It was inevitable signing guys with an injury history. Yeah, probably. Cadillac (who, ironically, didn't get injured), Norwood, Alexander, Harris, etc. Off the top of your head though, can someone quickly name 10 players who have never been injured while playing in the NFL?

Here's what I think. 2011 was ridiculous for a lot of teams, but the Rams were hit hard on the side of the ball that mattered most. Offense. New system, no camp, new players, and nothing came naturally. Injuries can *maybe* be minimized if players are running around and not thinking about what they're supposed to do in favor of doing what comes naturally, but even then ... it's negligible. The Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc., they all wind up with injuries that can only be attributed to cruddy luck. And I'm not talking about voodoo or some mystical magic 8-ball type of luck. Just the definition of same. Specifically....

Luck (noun): Success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions.

I agree with virtually everything you say there. Except a couple of things.

1. Fisher IS famous for backing off at times, but that's during the season. Several ex-Titans said that about him. But I think that has more to do with morale than injuries. I agree that in the pre-season and in camp, he's just following CBA mandated parameters.

2. The 2 things I red-bolded? Actually Bartell hurt his neck making a tackle. Just a quirk of fate. Williams messed up his quad just coming off the field.

On #2. Mistakes like that are so careless, and bad, and monstrously horrific, plus really really wrong, that I not only question your credentials as a Rams fan, I am still not sure you should be allowed on the internet AT ALL because you bring shame down on the rest of us. To quote "Sweeney Todd," this makes you an abomination before god and man.

Other than that, good post!
2thumbs.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zn said:
X said:

Here's why.

[ Image ]

4. There's no such thing as bad luck. Horse shyte. Yes there is. Jason Smith making a tackle and jacking his neck up is bad luck. Mark Clayton getting kicked in the patella while trailing a cornerback is bad luck. Saffold tearing his pec while lifting (with the same trainers they have now) is bad luck. Bartell landing on his leg the wrong way and getting it stuck in the turf is bad luck. Amendola getting up off the ground and twisting his arm 180 degrees is bad luck. Feeley banging his hand on the top of a helmet (very common injury) is bad luck.

Here's what I think. 2011 was ridiculous for a lot of teams, but the Rams were hit hard on the side of the ball that mattered most. Offense. New system, no camp, new players, and nothing came naturally. Injuries can *maybe* be minimized if players are running around and not thinking about what they're supposed to do in favor of doing what comes naturally, but even then ... it's negligible. The Steelers, Packers, Patriots, etc., they all wind up with injuries that can only be attributed to cruddy luck. And I'm not talking about voodoo or some mystical magic 8-ball type of luck. Just the definition of same. Specifically....

1. Fisher IS famous for backing off at times, but that's during the season. Several ex-Titans said that about him. But I think that has more to do with morale than injuries. I agree that in the pre-season and in camp, he's just following CBA mandated parameters.

2. The 2 things I red-bolded? Actually Bartell hurt his neck making a tackle. Just a quirk of fate. Williams messed up his quad just coming off the field.

On #2. Mistakes like that are so careless, and bad, and monstrously horrific, plus really really wrong, that I not only question your credentials as a Rams fan, I am still not sure you should be allowed on the internet AT ALL because you bring shame down on the rest of us. To quote "Sweeney Todd," this makes you an abomination before god and man.

Other than that, good post! [ Image ]
Well, I'm nothing if not imperfect. That's for sure.

Yeah, you're right about Bartell. I actually meant Bradley Fletcher. I have the video of that injury somewhere, but it's in a folder with about 250 other videos (all improperly labeled), so I'm not inclined to find it right now. I think I showed you that one too at one point. The way he landed, it was difficult to look at. And yeah, backing players off during the season is typical of every coach. Or had we all forgotten the HUGE error in judgement Spagnuolo made (font color=blue) when he took the players to a Cardinals game instead of practicing?

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:

Here's why.

[ Image ]

Other than that, good post! [ Image ]
Well, I'm nothing if not imperfect. That's for sure.

Yeah, you're right about Bartell. I actually meant Bradley Fletcher. I have the video of that injury somewhere, but it's in a folder with about 250 other videos (all improperly labeled), so I'm not inclined to find it right now. I think I showed you that one too at one point. The way he landed, it was difficult to look at.

Yeah, the Fletcher was bad. And he was really coming on too, as a rookie no less.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

zn said:
Yeah, the Fletcher was bad. And he was really coming on too, as a rookie no less.
Yeah.

I added a little to my post above too, but being the supreme master of message boards, I don't get the "post edited" comment on MY posts. Cuz, you know, I'm so rad. I was going to compile some of those injuries into a video at one point earlier this year, but once I started I soured on the idea. It was just too difficult to look at again, and it served no purpose. THEN. It probably would have come in handy now though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I'll say this for now. Good to see you Paulie. The rest of course I WILL have to chime in on - just no time now. Peace.