Undersized Trinca-Pasat looks to make an impact with Rams/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Undersized Trinca-Pasat looks to make an impact with the Rams
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_634ed317-980c-537c-b93d-9383d1cf5b9e.html

Shortly after signing as an undrafted rookie free agent, Rams defensive tackle Louis Trinca-Pasat posted the following tweet:

“Officially signed with the St. Louis Rams. Thank God Rams have given me one more opportunity. Those who overlooked me will regret it.’’

That pretty well sums it up for Trinca-Pasat, a 6-foot-1, 292-pounder who readily admits that he plays football with a chip on his shoulder. Throughout his football career, first at Lane Tech High in Chicago and later as a standout defensive lineman at Iowa, he’s been overlooked, partly because of the players around him but also because of his stature.

“As an undersized guy in this game, it seems like you’re constantly trying to show people you can play and produce,’’ the 23-year-old said following a recent workout at Rams Park. “But I’ve always liked proving people wrong. It’s become even more motivating for me.’’

In high school, Trinca-Pasat played linebacker, tight end and wide receiver on a team that featured Laken Tomlinson, a guard from Duke University who was selected 28th overall by the Detroit Lions in the opening round of the recent NFL draft. At Iowa, Trinca-Pasat was part of a talented defensive tackle pairing that also featured Carl Davis, a 6-5, 320-pounder who went to the Baltimore Ravens in the third round.

“It would’ve been nice to be drafted and I tried to stay positive, but it’s not something I was going to dwell on,’’ said Trinca-Pasat, whose pre-draft projections ranged from fifth round to free agent. “At this point, I’m just grateful for the chance the Rams have given me. Drafted or undrafted, it comes down to to what you do from here on, showing the coaches you can play and learn and produce. It’s time for me to go to work.’’

Working to achieve is the only way Trinca-Pasat knows. He is the youngest child of Romanian immigrants who came to America in the late 1980s to escape communism and find a better life. His father, Vasile, is a building engineer while his mother, Estera, works as an elementary school cafeteria cook.

“We didn’t have a lot growing up and everything we had, we had to work for,’’ Trinca-Pasat recalled. “The focus when we were kids was school and church. And work. On Saturdays, we’d go with my dad to work and do whatever needed to be done. If we wanted or needed a dollar for something, we earned it.’’

Although he was a fan of the game, Louis didn’t play football until he was a high school freshman, and that came about only after his older brothers persuaded their parents to let the youngest of five give the game a try.

“At that point, my parents knew nothing at all about football. Sports weren’t a focus in our house,’’ Louis said. “But over the last few years, that’s changed, at least with football. They made it to a lot of my games, home and away, during college and now they’re asking a lot more questions about the game and the rules. But even when they didn’t understand it completely, my family has always been very supportive of me.’’

As a 230-pound freshman trying to make the transition to defensive tackle in Iowa City, Trinca-Pasat nearly gave up football.

“I was frustrated because I was getting thrown around like a rag doll every single day,’’ he recalled.

But instead of quitting, Trinca-Pasat turned to Iowa strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle and his staff. He added bulk, strength and confidence and went on to make starts in his final 38 games of his Hawkeye career.

“I put in the time and effort and my hard work paid off,’’ said Trinca-Pasat, a team captain who was named Iowa’s defensive MVP after finishing with career bests in tackles (69), sacks (6.5) and tackles for loss (11.5) last fall. Known for his quickness, power and relentless effort, Trinca-Pasat earned trips to the Senior Bowl and the NFL combine.

“Maybe it’s because of my upbringing, but even in college, I never gave that much thought to the NFL,’’ he said. “For me, the mindset was always on working every day to get better and that’s still the approach I have to take.

“Every time you step up a level in competition, the game gets faster and you have to adjust as the game evolves. Every day, I have to work on my technique, my craft.’’

Trinca-Pasat, who said he talked to eight other teams before signing with St. Louis, is looking forward to working with assistant coach Mike Waufle and the Rams’ talented crew of defensive linemen.

“I know I have to improve and what better way to learn than by working every day with some of the best defensive linemen in the NFL,’’ said Trinca-Pasat, a three-time All-Big Ten All-Academic selection with a master’s degree in educational policy and learning studies. “I pride myself on being a smart player, a good technician, a guy who can learn on the fly and a good teammate.’’

Limey

Rookie
" Known for his quickness, power and relentless effort."
Some pretty good attributes there. Sounds like a hard worker - I'm rooting for him to make the team.