Underrated Game Hero Michael Brockers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Didn't realize this at all, but really amazing play by Brock.

Rams Drop Nose Tackle on Final Play Versus Bucs

LOOKING BACK
By John Turney

On the final play of the Rams at Buccaneers game last Sunday the Rams dropped shade/nose tackle Michael Brockers and rushed only three players.

Brockers is 6-5 and maybe 320 pounds and he took the third receiver essentially man-to-man to the goalline on the play in question and in doing so made the likely easiest throw impossible for Jameis Winston near impossible.

Winston admitted he should have thrown the ball at the 15-yard line, but it's clear no one is open as Brockers and the other defenders had good coverage on the four Bucs receivers in the pattern.

Winston drifted across the line of scrimmage and was tackled by defensive end Robert Quinn as time expired
Fair Use Claim. Credit: NFL Replay

This spy drop by Brockers is not unusual in Gregg Williams's scheme, but in this case it paid high dividends in that it took away one option for Winston. Had Brockers rushed the passer he may have been able to affect the play behind the line of scrimmage, perhaps forcing a throw or not allowing Winston to run the ball for a 10-yard game, but he trailed the the Bucs #3 receiver to the top side to the 2-yard line and prevented a throw then reversed his direction and stayed with that receiver.

Now, this was not a zone blitz where a replacement rusher gave chase to Winston while Brockers covered a short zone for an instant. He had the #3 receiver man-to-man for, essentially. He had the #3 receiver to just past the goalline before that receiver went into the endzone on what was likely his scramble rules and the other deeper defenders picked him up. There may not be another nose tackle in the NFL that could do what Brockers did.

Psycho_X

Legend
He was awkward there but it worked. It took away that high chance shot into the slant over the middle teams like to do. But got to watch that contact big guy hehe. Good job though by everyone on that play.

fearsomefour

Legend
Very big athletic guy.
My favorite play of the game was earlier....2nd quarter maybe. They ran basically the same D. Cam Thomas was playing the nose and dropped into coverage...........not quite as fluid as Brockers.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wilson's best shot was to throw early to the 5 yard line ahead of the third receiver and hope he catches it and his momentum carries him into the end zone. I think had he done that the Rams would have lost.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He was awkward there but it worked. It took away that high chance shot into the slant over the middle teams like to do. But got to watch that contact big guy hehe. Good job though by everyone on that play.
"Awkward!?!" At that size, 320, anyone would look awkward moving that fast backward to cover the WR!(y);):rolllaugh::yess: It was a Great Job!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Michael Brockers is the best un-heard name on the Rams Defensive line. His numbers don't show in the stat. But when Winston hesitated because he saw Brockers in front, it gave the speedy Robert Quinn time to run down and tomahawk Winston for a sack and sealed the deal for the Rams win.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
@Memento would agree :D I'm a big fan of Brockers. He also looks good steppin off the bus first. (right behind Grob)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When I saw Brockers dropping, I was pissed...Hell, I was wondering where were all our DE's to rush the passer...OLB...something...I don't like rushing 3...esp. against an elusive QB...too much time...DB's can't cover forever...I don't care if there's 10 on 5....

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
My heart sank when he went down earlier in the game. I had visions of the Bucs rushing for 200 yds.
Thankfully, he had his arm taped and went back on the field.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Creative play for sure. Obviously, it works because the route options are designed for targets at the goal line, and the QB was more concerned with the safety coverage on that third receiver pre-snap.

Can't make a habit of it or a savvy OC catch you doing that too much or he'll put the WR covered by your NT on a quick fade and then it's burn.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
When I think of football, and Rams, from 2013-2016 I think: Brockers, TruJo, Quinn, Ogletree. They typlify what we WANT to do. I know Donald is HOF material, but without Brockers we aren't a tough team. He allows us to have Joyner and Barron in a 4-1-6 defense.....really, Brockers is our anchor, not Donald. I don't think Cam Thomas could last a whole game.

Brockers seems pretty smart, too...and he stuffs Iupati every single play. He has a personal vendetta against him it seems. Iupati looks weak and worthless when he does 1 on 1 straight ahead drive blocking against Brockers. One of my true pleasures to watch.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
while on the topic of Brockers and his greatness, did they ever release his new contract numbers?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
while on the topic of Brockers and his greatness, did they ever release his new contract numbers?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Sometime Monday morning in Fishers office:

"Look coach, if you don't want me in the slot anymore, I got a follow up interview at Walmart lined up. Stan can keep his money, and we'll see how Brockers does shutting down the seam!"

Bkfld_Rams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Speaking of Joyner...the video shows how he attacks when he realizes the QB is across the line of scrimmage. Good stuff

TexasRam

Legend
Yeah Joyner really saves the play by quickly acting and closing a huge gap between him and Winston and the Goaline.

Forced Winston to have to slow down and readjust his trajectory giving time for Quinn to catch up.

Funny how Quinn is just joggin around until he notices he needs to make a play. Slacker.

Ram65

Legend

Looks very close if not holding on Big Mike. Play call worked but, not my fav.