Under the radar area of the team that needs work

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We talk a lot about the offensive line and wide receivers...

Is there an area of the team that needs work, but you worry is being under estimated?

For me, I have concerns at DE...but mostly if Quinn isn't 100%. Hayes is no spring chicken, either.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Fullback. I think in order for Gurley to be Gurley, he needs a guy in front of him who can man up to LBs and clear a path. Harkey wasn't as effective last year. I would suggest going after Kyle Juszczyk from Baltimore. But they'll probably franchise tag him.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm going for DE, CB and Saftey.

But I definitely think we need a burner opposite Quinn - Hayes and Sims are rotational guys only IMO

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
For me, I have concerns at DE...but mostly if Quinn isn't 100%. Hayes is no spring chicken, either.
Well, wouldn't that also depend on where Quinn falls into in Wade's D? From what I've seen in multiple threads, most people see him being an OLB. Is Donald going to be a DE is this scheme, or even Brockers? Who plays NT, if it is Brockers who is his backup? Who's going where at LB? Because of the scheme change and presumably players will be shifting positions I'm curious about the front 7. Who starts where and who's backing them up? LB depth is a need.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
The defense has a few holes. Corner, safety and even linebacker corps need some depth. We still don't have a true replacement for Jenkins. That position was a revolving door with the number of guys who played there last year. I also think we need another quality safety for depth. Depending on how Phillips sets his defense, I think we need to get at least one good linebacker too. Can't fix it all in one year, so I would be inclined to focus on secondary.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fullback. I think in order for Gurley to be Gurley, he needs a guy in front of him who can man up to LBs and clear a path. Harkey wasn't as effective last year. I would suggest going after Kyle Juszczyk from Baltimore. But they'll probably franchise tag him.
Did Harkey even break a sweat last year? I felt like he didn't play much. Not sure of the numbers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Corners....Inside linebackers...Maybe a FS.....and that's defense.

Offense....lets look at the TE position. I'd fix the entire line issues, and the TE is part of that. Then, I'm grabbing a QB. That knows McVay.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's my perception of "needs" priorities...

These are needs, not mere wants, imo.

And they could be filled just as well by FA as the draft, btw.

DE. As mentioned, Quinn is a health question mark and Hayes is both 31 and best used off the bench.
CB. Tru is a huge question mark as to whether he extends. And even if he does, this is a helluva CB class and we should take advantage. Might be our first pick, in fact.
WR. Simply HAS to be upgraded, even if Britt is extended. FA might be the direction, here. But it is reportedly a good and deep WR class, so a pick shouldn't be a big surprise.
OL. Who knows? They may like some of these guys more than the fans do. Still, I'd guess at least one FA and one middle round draft pick. But it COULD be a couple of FA's to be starters. This area just HAS to be fixed for our O to be successful.
LB. Not quite the need of the first 4 positions, but still gonna be addressed early on. Maybe even in FA. Impossible to get a read on Wade's evaluation of our LB bench just yet. But he surely wants and needs a good corps of "his type" of LB's and it WILL be addressed one way or another.

Not gonna try to prioritize the above position groups, since all are "must haves". Therefore all are equal priorities in my mind. We're not gonna be functional, much less competitive, unless all 4 areas are "fixed" this offseason, if you ask me.

Now we're into "wants" more than absolute "needs", I think.

TE. Do they like the potential of Kendricks, Higbee, and Hemingway? Not entirely sure just yet. Don't think they're sure, either.
RB. Will Benny extend?
S. Don't know if TJM will be extended, or even if they want to extend him. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they really like Mo and see some potential in some of our bench Safeties. Including Randolph who intrigues the hell outta me.

With $40 million available in cap dollars for FA's and 9 draft picks, Snead and this coaching staff can plug a helluva lot of holes. Plus, Snead has been known to find gems in UDFA to give us further help, if only developmental options.

I'm confident that this staff is light years ahead of the Fisher regime in terms of rapid development of rookies and scheming to take better advantage of ALL their players. Should really leverage their effectiveness, IOW.

I'm kinda optimistic, tbh.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
CB.
We have too many unknowns at this point.

Is TJ going to be signed or take a deal elswhere?

Is Gaines going to return to rookie form after a spotty year, following his injury? Has the injury left permanent reprocussions and he will never be the same athletically?

Can Joyner take a huge step forward and have the ability to cover man outside?

I wouldn't count on any of these let alone all of th he's questions.

CB is a white hot spot for me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My BIGGEST concern is at LDE! then I would look at the secondary, we need another CB!
The Offense is a big concern too, but I know they will be paying a lot of attention to it!

SierraRam

Recreational User
LB. We barely could field 3 LB's at a time last year, and It sounds like we're going to 4 on the field at times this year. Time to stock up on giant, aggressive athletic freaks!! (y)

Ram65

Legend
From reading the posts it looks like everything is needed.

Seeing how the transition to the 3-4 goes will help determine some needs. I thing Phillips will make it work with most of the current roster. Quinn on the outside LB position could help his back some. Donald in three technique DE spot put Brokers at NT and Hayes at DE. Trading for the Eagles Kendricks could solve the other outside LB spot. As Phillips gets the front seven in gear should get pressure to help the CBs. They should be able to play closer to the WRs when needed. CBs will always be needed in this passing league. There still is a lot of questions to be answered on personnel like Tru, a LBer like Kendricks, who plays safety etc. I think that Phillips has already developed a plan or is working hard to finalize one. In the future, Phillips knows they type of players he needs and the Rams (Snead) will be working on getting those players. I don't see Phillips underestimating needs.

It will be interesting to see what direction the Rams offense goes as far as the WR and TE personnel. is Kendricks in the plans with Higbee and Hemmingway? The draft guys @ ROD say there are lots of good TE in the draft. I'm have my doubts about getting a WR in free agency. Prices will be high and game changes are low. If the Rams don't get a solid or better WR that could be a concern.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Under the Radar ?
Most all of the Rams 2017 issues are out there in the middle of the radar signal for all of us in Rams On Demand to see.

Not so recognized positions might be a legit typical McVay Fullback, typical Wade Phillips nose tackle, a Aaron Kromer desired type center of the taller lager types(6-5/6-6 315/325 pounder) Rams two current centers average 6-2/302 pounds between them. You ask a Good question.

LDE-Westbrooks/ Hayes/ Longacre
NT-Brockers/ Trinca-Pasat/ ?
RDE-Donald/ Easley/ Fox/ Sims

LOLB-Littleton/?
ILB-Ogletree/ Forrest/ Northrup/ McKinzy
ILB-Barron/ Hagar/ Grigsby
ROLB-Quinn/?

SS-Alexander/ Couplin/ Johnson
FS-Davis/ Randolph/ Christian

CB-Hill/ Jordan/ Peterson
CB-Gaines/ Short
NK-Joyner/ Countess

QB- Goff / Mannion
RB- Gurley/ Brown/ Green/ Wegher
FB- Harkey/ Laskey
TE- Kendricks/ Higbee/ Williams/ Hemmingway
WR- Austin/ McRoberts/ North
WR- Cooper/ Thomas/ Shippen
SL- Marquez/ Spruce
LT- Saffold/ Williams
LG- Brown/ Robinson
OC- Barnes/ Wichmann/ Rhaney
RG- Donnal/ Arkin
RT- Havenstein/ Murphy

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Corners....Inside linebackers...Maybe a FS.....and that's defense.

Offense....lets look at the TE position. I'd fix the entire line issues, and the TE is part of that. Then, I'm grabbing a QB. That knows McVay.
Colt McCoy as the back up?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
LB. We barely could field 3 LB's at a time last year, and It sounds like we're going to 4 on the field at times this year. Time to stock up on giant, aggressive athletic freaks!! (y)

I think our new strengthening coach will make what we have now into aggressive athletic freaks...

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
With this team, you could name any position except punter and I wouldn't argue the point, hahaha.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
11%(111) in 2016
30% (289) in 2015
31% (316) in 2014
35% (356) in 2013
I would say that makes the FB position pretty important. He also got hurt halfway through the year as well. I guess we will see what McVay does. I think an elite FB does wonders for the running game.