UFC 229

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Anyone watching?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Just caught the Volkov Lewis fight, Lewis is a fucking beast.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Found an acestream, I cant see paying 70 bucks or whatever their charging now.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That Anthony Pettis bout was a bloodbath.
That's gonna be one hell of a rematch since Pettis couldn't continue due to a broken hand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Definitely been entertaining. The Pettis rematch should be another battle, both dudes just throwing non stop

Loved Lewis' response when asked why he took off his shorts. My balls were hot, lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WTF!!!!

WOWWWWWWWWWWWW.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Dude gets the win then goes after McGregors corner. Never seen anything like it, does he get suspended? What happens to the belt? Then McGregor gets jumped wow.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That was mayhem. I guess Khabib took all that pre-fight smack-talk pretty seriously. For sure he'll be fined and suspended. Which means (if he wants), McGregor can fight for the belt again. I don't think the title goes by default to the #1 contender. That was classless as hell though. Craziest shit I've seen in a long time in the UFC.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Been on twitter for the last few hours and it's pretty convoluted.

Conor spends months trying to hype the fight.

Khabib isn't moved by the hype.

Conor escalates to calling Khabib's father a liar, coward and terrorist, mocking his religion by offering him a glass of Conor's new brand of Whiskey at the press conference. For a Muslim, that's mad disrespectful.

Khabib takes it, but is clearly burning inside. He's Dagestani, from Dagestan which is a Russian republic next to the Caspian Sea just east of Georgia. In Dagestani culture, once someone goes after another man's family, ESPECIALLY one's father, it's basically a blood feud. At this point, what Conor's done is so far beyond "selling tickets", it's not funny.

Fight starts.

Khabib is putting on a clinic. Conor is doing the "if you're not cheating, you're not trying" thing by doing all the little illegal crap that veterans know about.

Conor sustains one of the worst ground and pound beatings I've ever seen in the 2nd round. I knew I could count on Herb Dean to just stand there like he's waiting on line at the bank.

Conor taps out in the 4th round to what was called a Rear Naked Choke, but was actually a neck/back wrench after being thoroughly dominated throughout. (Freak YA!!! Love when BJJ wins out)

Conor's BJJ coach starts yelling at Khabib. (Seriously, the guy's dude got his neck wrenched because when Conor's gassed, he keeps giving up his back to serious BJJ practitioners and getting choked out and instead of being ashamed or humble, the dude's still talking crap?)

Khabib, after all the abuse, in a move that stuns everyone, loses it and goes after Conor's training partner, Dillon Danis, by jumping out of the cage and jumping at Danis.

Security goes to halt the melee and honestly save Dillon Danis as well as to recover Khabib and end the nonsense.

One of Khabib's corner people approaches Conor, extending a hand to corral him which is what all of the corner people and security people were doing. As this is happening, a member of Conor's team jumps into the cage behind Conor.

Conor takes a swing at the corner person, initiating an all out melee in the ring. The guy who jumped into the ring sucker punches Conor from behind and everyone is separated, but it takes awhile because much of security left to go get Khabib.

Three of Khabib's team are arrested, but Conor refuses to press charges (likely because he knew or was informed of the videos showing that he swung first and started the melee in the cage). The members of Khabib's team are released without incident.

What's the take away?

Well, Dana White stood there while Conor crossed all bounds of propriety, literally standing between them during the press conference just letting Conor go WAAAY out of bounds without saying so much as boo.

Khabib took him to the woodshed, lost his temper and took the fight to Conor's corner who clearly have no idea that it's time to STFU, ESPECIALLY if you're the BJJ coach and your guy just tapped to a savage neck wrench/rear naked choke (I've been choked like that and I can attest, one is not weak for tapping to that. The way Khabib had him set up, sitting on his hip while wrenching his neck and flexing Conor's back backwards....may not have looked bad, but it's devastating)

It was terribly unfortunate because what we saw was maybe the single best performance among high level UFC performers in the history of UFC.

It's unfortunate because Dana White encouraged and allowed all the Conor mess and worse, gave him a title fight AFTER he had to plead guilty to disorderly conduct in a plea deal that had him avoid the two felony counts of assault when he threw a loading dolly threw a bus's window, injuring several people on the bus including two fighters, one of whom was injured enough that he had to not fight and missed getting his purse.

Guys are gonna lose their tempers and regret it. (although I don't recall Conor apologizing and he said nothing on his own behalf at his plea deal)

Khabib apologized to the NSAC, Dana White, the UFC and the fans, but who knows if that changes anything. They banned Nick Diaz for FIVE YEARS for multiple positive tests of Marijuana, but didn't suspend Mayweather even after he was sent to jail for domestic violence (and that 9 month sentence was a travesty).

The fighter who jumped in to the ring is almost certainly done in the UFC, whether he as visa issues or not.

I really don't care if Khabib jumped out to smash Dillon Danis because sometimes, especially in combat sports, when guys don't know when the STFU, they need help. The problem is that Khabib could have started a riot in the mostly McGregor crowd and hundreds of people could have been seriously injured. Worse, all those Irish and Russian fans in conflict would have actually netted a real riot. That's beyond unacceptable.

That's not okay and Khabib needs to be suspended for a short period because he put public safety in jeopardy.

If the NSAC had been consistently harsh, then I'd say ban him because Mayweather was banned and Jon Jones was banned and other boxers and MMA fighters were banned for their various offenses, but they weren't. Anyone who brings big money to Vegas hasn't even gotten a slap on the wrist. Nothing.

Mostly, I lay this at Dana White's feet. He cultivated this and when it all got out of hand, he was surprised.

Well duh. If you invite the circus to town, you're going to get the circus. If you're allowing guys to run around with sparklers around a woodpile soaked in gasoline, don't be surprised if one of those sparks actually sets the woodpile on fire.

I really appreciate what Daniel Cormier and Luke Rockhold did in the ring in the aftermath as well as what DC put out on social media.

If there's one lesson from this, it's that in an international sport like MMA, ticket sales have to be about the sport. When the promoters allow race, religion, family and culture to be attacked as part of a cynical plan to boost ticket sales and PPV buys, then the event doesn't end up being about the sport, but about all the crap that attracted people to the spectacle. Instead of the UFC promoting an epic battle between one of the best strikers in UFC history coming back to the sport against one of the best grapplers in UFC history who was at the time a remarkable 26-0, we got press conference after press conference with Conor calling Khabib's dad a liar, coward and terrorist.

Dana White needed to do a John McCain when that lady said Obama was a Muslim who hated America and Senator McCain set the lady straight and kept the discussion on policy. Dana needed to stop Conor and say, "no. That's not what the UFC is about. We're not going to do that. Not here. Not on social media. This is about the sport. Respect the sport."

But he was just another unprincipled promoter who NOW wants to lament how this looks for his "brand".

Shame that all that good MMA was lost at the circus.

And honestly, no one is innocent in this.

But I bet Khabib is the one who gets most/all of the repercussions. Conor makes too much money for the UFC and Vegas.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That was mayhem. I guess Khabib took all that pre-fight smack-talk pretty seriously. For sure he'll be fined and suspended. Which means (if he wants), McGregor can fight for the belt again. I don't think the title goes by default to the #1 contender. That was classless as hell though. Craziest crap I've seen in a long time in the UFC.

Depends on the length of suspension.

Dang shame.

Too many shoulds.

Khabib should have just laughed at Conor's corner after making Conor tap.

Conor should have kept it professional and not gone after the man's family, religion and culture.

Dana White should have put a cork in Conor's pie hole the second he started spouting that garbage which had absolutely nothing to do with the sport and was a country mile beyond the pale for "getting in an opponent's head" tactics.

Terrible shame because Khabib put on a clinic and that fact will be lost on so many.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Friggin nuts.
Can’t imagine what the scene was like in the streets afterwords. Drunken “pride”. Yikes.
Conor got what was coming to him but leaving the Octogon and endangering the public is not cool.

fearsomefour

Legend
Depends on the length of suspension.

Dang shame.

Too many shoulds.

Khabib should have just laughed at Conor's corner after making Conor tap.

Conor should have kept it professional and not gone after the man's family, religion and culture.

Dana White should have put a cork in Conor's pie hole the second he started spouting that garbage which had absolutely nothing to do with the sport and was a country mile beyond the pale for "getting in an opponent's head" tactics.

Terrible shame because Khabib put on a clinic and that fact will be lost on so many.
We will find out if Dana White has any interest in trying to run a legit sport or if he is just running a wrestling sideshow.
Khabib needs to be stripped of the title, not paid his purse (don't know if he can legally do that....I'm sure he can fine him) and suspend for an extended period of time.
Even if White has no interest in being little more than a bald Don King I'm sure the Nevada Athletic Commission will not allow Khabib to fight in Nevada in the foreseeable future.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
One of Khabib's corner people approaches Conor, extending a hand to corral him which is what all of the corner people and security people were doing. As this is happening, a member of Conor's team jumps into the cage behind Conor.

Conor takes a swing at the corner person, initiating an all out melee in the ring. The guy who jumped into the ring sucker punches Conor from behind and everyone is separated, but it takes awhile because much of security left to go get Khabib.

Not quite what happened, Conor did not swing at anyone after the fight. Khabib went nuts and jumped out going after Conors team. Folowed by Khabibs corner attacking Conor. When Khabibs corner attacked Conor, Conor did nothing to retaliate. It was the worst post fight I have ever seen, I have seen guys talk trash after winning a fight but never have I seen a fighter go after the others corner followed by that fighters corner attcking the other fighter.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

It's a terrible embarrassment that this kind of thing was allowed to happen. I don't follow the sport really, and I cannot stand CM because of his loud mouth shtick so if he went over those lines as you say he should be held accountable.

EDIT:

Wow!

Way out of bounds. WAY out of bounds. From the outside it just seems like this sport has moved towards the lowest common denominator to increase revenues. And I am disregarding the insult towards his father about being a coward.

That shit would have earned a stiff fine and suspension from any other pro league in the USA. I don't know why the people in control of the UCF didn't do that. Imagine an NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL player making fun of another players accent, religion, calling him a c*nt and mocking the appearance of his ethnicity.

And..........

What Dana White said after the melee was indicative of how blind he was to what was said. Here is his quote after the fight.

“What Khabib should have done is pick Conor up, pull him up from the ground, hug him and say ‘good fight;’ whatever,” said White, who projected record-breaking pay-per-view buys in the lead-up and revealed a UFC-record live gate of $17.2m (20,034 attendance).

“He had the opportunity to walk out of that place a champion. He looked like a stud. It should have been a very different night for him.”

Dana White should be embarrassed about how he handled the press conference with the whiskey. Smirking while allowing McGregor to insult Nurmagomedov is really low. I just watched the video of it and I can't believe what I saw. Imagine any commissioner of any sport in the USA acting like that and imagine what would result from it. They would be forced to resign in shame.

I'm not excusing Nurmagomedov for what he did by any stretch because it was foolish, it was poor sportsmanship, and he lowered himself to their level while putting the audience at risk. So his actions require some type of disciplinary response.

It's too bad that McGregor and White aren't being called out for what they have done. If I was a fan of the sport I'd be pretty disappointed right now.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Conor has got away with so much over the years.
He has gone from arrogant fight hype when he was 145 against the likes of Siver, Poiret, Aldo, and good banter with Diaz.

However, money has seriously changed him. His press tour with Mayweather was cringeworthy and this one against Khabib was awful.

He truly believes he is bigger than the sport and Dana keeps him onboard despite his antics.

Conor has jumped tje cage and assaulted ref Mark Goddard, jumped tje cage and gone after Aldo, threw a luggage trolley at a busload of fighter including Khabib.
He then went on to insult Khabib's religion, country, and family.
Some people dont like that.
No excuse for what Khabib did.

Maybe if Danis, who is a good bjj player, as well as John Kavanagh, Conors other bjj coach, could have taught Conor how to defend a rear naked choke/neck crank, ghen Conor might have taken the fight to a decision.
He just freezes when he gives up his back.

I am not a fan of either fighter.
The UFC promoted this foot with footage of tje bus incident.

Conor is a short term cash cow for the UFC, hence why he gets away with a lot.
In the long run, he may be doing more harm than good.

Anyway, the actual fight was reasonably good.
I picked Khabib, but Conor did a better than I expected, a few stuffed takedowns.
However, a couple of years on from tje Diaz fight and he still cant defend his back.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We will find out if Dana White has any interest in trying to run a legit sport or if he is just running a wrestling sideshow.
Khabib needs to be stripped of the title, not paid his purse (don't know if he can legally do that....I'm sure he can fine him) and suspend for an extended period of time.
Even if White has no interest in being little more than a bald Don King I'm sure the Nevada Athletic Commission will not allow Khabib to fight in Nevada in the foreseeable future.

I've got to agree with you about White. Though it may be too late it's already a sideshow but since the revenues keep increasing he will probably continue to pander to the lowest common denominator to pump up PPV sales.

I think stripping Nurmagomedov of the title and taking his money from him is too harsh.

I don't think Nevada will stop him from fighting in the state considering what McGregor has done with the bus fiasco. Let's also not forget the fact that he acted like a turd a couple of years ago and threw a couple of full bottles of Monster energy drink into a crowd in Nevada. They lightly fined him but didn't sanction him.

They want to get paid of course.