UAB head coach Bill Clark knew Rams TE Gerald Everett could be a 'freak'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
UAB head coach Bill Clark knew Los Angeles Rams TE Gerald Everett could be a 'freak'

By Drew Champlin

[www.al.com]

When UAB opens its new football operations building, one room will be dedicated to past teams and NFL players.

Gerald Everett may not have finished his college career at UAB, but the Los Angeles' Rams tight end who was recently drafted in the NFL Draft's second round first made his mark there. There will certainly be a plaque honoring Everett.

Everett played as a sophomore at UAB in 2014. When the program was disbanded, he transferred to South Alabama and flourished over his final two seasons.

The 6-foot-3, 239-pound Everett caught 90 passes for 1,292 yards and 12 touchdowns in two seasons with the Jaguars.

"That's our player," UAB head coach Bill Clark said Thursday. "No offense to South Alabama, they can claim him too, but that's our guy. Jordan Howard (who finished at Indiana and is now with the Chicago Bears) is UAB. Gerald Everett is UAB. I don't make any bones about that. I think he'll tell you he's a UAB Blazer, I'm sure he'll tell you he's a South Alabama guy too, but no offense to them. He's our guy."

Everett quietly emerged onto the scene at UAB. Clark said that former offensive coordinator Bryant Vincent found him at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College. Everett, who played one year of high school football, signed with FCS school Bethune-Cookman in 2012.

Before that fall, he enrolled at Hutchinson with hopes of being re-recruited by a bigger school. He redshirted one of his two seasons there and arrived at UAB in August 2014 as a sophomore.

Everett could have stayed another season at junior college, but the opportunity came open at UAB. It didn't take Clark long after seeing his film.

Two plays was all it took to convince Clark.

Everett, weighing just 215 pounds that season, caught 17 passes for 292 yards with a touchdown and a long of 34 yards and helped UAB to a 6-6 record.

"Just a good kid from day one," Clark said. "Unbelievable hands and physical. He had to get bigger and stronger, but what was so cool about him was how he could run after the catch.

"That was one of those guys where you were like, 'This guy is going to be unbelievable.'"

His touchdown was a 29-yard catch and run against FIU. Everett backed up another future NFL player in Kennard Backman that season. Backman was a senior with Tristan Henderson in the tight end group.

Everett recently stopped by UAB to visit Clark before heading to Georgia to watch the NFL Draft with his family. He played his final two years at South Alabama for Vincent and former UAB tight ends coach Richard Owens.

"We didn't want to lose the two tight ends we had, but we knew this guy was going to be a freak, and he was for South Alabama," Clark said.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am currently developing a hand stretcher to sell to NFL and college teams. It is in prototype right now but the first one goes to Everett. :sneaky:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
After watching everything I could find on Everett and our other draftees, I have come away with a distinct impression. The Rams drafted some serious FOOTBALL players. All of these dudes look hungry and play with an aggressiveness I don't remember seeing in our draftees from recent years. Everett looks like he wants to beast on DBs all day. I love how we can line him up all over the field also. Guy is a monster after the catch, and I love that. Kupp just looks smooth. Dude is slick as whale shit in an ice flow. Best pure route runner we have had since Bruce/Holt (with apologies to Amendola). Reynolds reminds me of Mike Evans (not just because they were both Aggies either). Reynolds also seems pissed he was taken as late as he was and I think he will be playing with a chip on his shoulder. He needs to put on some weight/muscle, but that is a nice deep weapon to have. Should be a great target in the RZ as well.

All in all, I REALLY like what McSnead did with this draft. Offense was the Rams glaring weakness, and I believe they got a lot better in FA and through this draft. I was a little worried that we lacked size in our WR corp, but with the additions of Kupp Reynolds and Everett, we actually have above average height in that area now. I honestly think the Rams have aced this off season so far.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Jordan Reed comparison is often brought up but does anyone else consider a possible potential comparison to Shannon Sharpe? Or am I just showing my age?

Ram65

Legend
"Just a good kid from day one," Clark said. "Unbelievable hands and physical. He had to get bigger and stronger, but what was so cool about him was how he could run after the catch.

Looks like he always had good hand. They may be small but they are soft football catching hands.

The Jordan Reed comparison is often brought up but does anyone else consider a possible potential comparison to Shannon Sharpe? Or am I just showing my age?

I liked the Antonio Gates comparison. The Shannon Sharpe comparison is good too. He could be some combination of both. He boxes out well and appears to have a big trunk in the Gates mold. He does run like Sharpe in that aggressive fashion. Could depend on how much weight he adds. If he gets close to either one it will be great.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's really fucked up what Alabama did to UAB. Bill Clark is a hell of a football coach. He had that program primed for big things before Bear Bryant's son and the Alabama Board of Trustees had it shut down. It's going to take awhile for him to build it back up.