Tyler Higbee has career day against Eagles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Tyler Higbee has career day against Eagles

Tyler Higbee had three touchdowns in 15 games last season. On Sunday against the Eagles, the Rams tight end matched the total.

Los Angeles' 37-19 road win at Philadelphia saw Higbee notch his first multi-touchdown game of his career, finishing with three on five receptions for 54 yards.

With the performance, Higbee became the first Rams player since Torry Holt in 2006 to have three touchdown catches in a single game.

"It just happened to work like that," Higbee told reporters during his postgame video conference from Lincoln Financial Field. "Not thinking too much of it, just trying to do my job. Ball found me today and I tried to capitalize on those opportunities. Shoutout Torry Holt, though."

Higbee was targeted a team-high five times by quarterback Jared Goff on Sunday, tied with wide receiver Cooper Kupp for most in the passing game.

Higbee's first target resulted in his first touchdown, a 4-yard completion from Goff which gave the Rams an early 7-0 lead after their first offensive series. Receptions of 13 and 6 yards later in the first half paved the way for a 3-yard touchdown catch, all on the same drive.

The Western Kentucky product's third and final touchdown came on a 28-yard pass deep down the left sideline from Goff, a play which helped extend the Rams' lead to 12 after a 33-yard field goal by Eagles kicker Jake Elliott had cut it to five 81 seconds earlier.

To hear Higbee tell it, he seemed to have an idea that he might have a shot at scoring after McVay made the play call.

"When he made the play call and I heard the play, I said, 'Oh, this might be six,'" said Higbee, who celebrated the score with an opera-like bow to the empty stands. "Then it happened to be number three. You're kind of running out of celebrations there and trying to play off the no crowd, and yeah, it was exciting."

Considering Higbee's strong finish to 2019 – he became the fourth tight end in NFL history to have four consecutive 100-yard receiving games and finished with franchise single-season tight end records for receptions (69) and receiving yards (734) – Sunday's performance in Philadelphia didn't shock McVay.

"Obviously big day for Higbee, having three touchdowns on five targets, but that's kind of what you expect," McVay told reporters in his postgame video conference. "He's done a great job."

Specific to his position, Higbee is the first Rams tight end to haul in three touchdown catches in a single game since Damone Johnson in 1988. The first of those three touchdown catches moved him into sixth all-time in franchise history for receiving touchdowns by a tight end.

After a historic run to conclude the 2019 season, it seems Higbee is carrying over last year's productive finish.

"Higbee's been dominant," Los Angeles wide receiver Robert Woods told reporters in his postgame video conference. "He's gotten opportunities since the end of last season to really showcase his abilities. I think he's just starting where he left off, starting off strong."

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i couldn't have been more wrong about a player than i was about higbee. but only his ability to catch contested balls. he always looked great when he got wide open but had a rough time if a player was near him. i guess i was cut about his td drop in the playoff match against the falcons.

he got much better in 2018 and produced two clutch contested catches in the nfc championship game which got the rams into fg position to win the game.

of course last season he was always open at the end there. and he's carried that into this season.

it's good to be wrong sometimes.

jap

Legend
Tyler is just continuing to mutate into one of the league's elite TE's before our very eyes - just picking up where he left off last season.

Psycho_X

Legend
This is the Higbee that showed up in his college tape. Not sure if he just needed experience to get into that groove in the NFL or if it was McVay just not utilizing him enough or a little of both but what a difference a year makes. Dude is a stud now.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Man I;m proud/glad of Highbee staying out of trouble and now living up to my hopes for him.
His Talent.

Plenty knew he had talent,good hands, got separation , but he got into a bar fight just before the draft and had a knee issue that didn't heal right, caused him to miss the Sr Bowl...

Only thing I remember was also everyone saying he needed to build up some so he could block better..

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Higgs is playing out of this world. Clearly out-classed Philly's 2 "vaunted" TEs yesterday. Looks like the complete TE to me, and excellent hands! He better be careful, if he keeps this up he may end up in the pro bowl.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
With the performance, Higbee became the first Rams player since Torry Holt in 2006 to have three touchdown catches in a single game.
Considering Higbee's strong finish to 2019 – he became the fourth tight end in NFL history to have four consecutive 100-yard receiving games and finished with franchise single-season tight end records for receptions (69) and receiving yards (734)...
Specific to his position, Higbee is the first Rams tight end to haul in three touchdown catches in a single game since Damone Johnson in 1988. The first of those three touchdown catches moved him into sixth all-time in franchise history for receiving touchdowns by a tight end.
I've wanted the Rams to find that stud TE for a long time. So jealous of all the teams that seemed to find these next-level TE's but never us for some reason. I hope Higbeast keeps rolling -- so hard for teams to defend an offense that has TE options.
So, he's 6th all-time in Rams history... anyone know the next 5 TE's on the Rams list?? I'm a relative noob here (hence the name), but I had hopes for Conwell & all the TE's we've had after him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loved the pick when he was coming out of college, liked how he and Goff had developed a kinship of sorts. Then as time went on I became more and more disappointed in his play to the extent I thought he was gone. Glad to see I was right and more importantly WRONG about the guy!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a hell of a big and rangy athlete and finally playing up to his talent. The league should be afraid. And when this offense starts getting the explosive plays from the RB position look out.

This offense is loaded with talent man.