Ty Law: Belichick’s personnel approach has cost Patriots championships

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nel-approach-has-cost-patriots-championships/

Ty Law: Belichick’s personnel approach has cost Patriots championships
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 16, 2016

457333560.jpg
Getty Images

It’s hard to argue with Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s longstanding philosophy of getting rid of good veteran players while they still have some trade value. After all, Belichick has won four Super Bowls in New England.

But former Patriots cornerback Ty Law says that the Patriots would have won more than four Super Bowls if Belichick weren’t so quick to get rid of good players.

Law told ESPN that Belichick is too quick to get rid of veteran team leaders, and as a result, the Patriots have lost some playoff games that they could have won with another good player or two.

“I think it has cost them championships. I think they let go of too many guys who can rally the troops and win Super Bowls,” Law said.

Law won three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots before Belichick cut him in a salary-cap move. The Patriots then went nine years without winning a Super Bowl. Would the Patriots have won another title if Law had been in New England?

More recently, would the Patriots’ offensive line have been good enough to withstand the Broncos’ pass rush in this year’s AFC Championship Game if Belichick hadn’t traded away Logan Mankins a year earlier? Might the Patriots have five or six or seven Vince Lombardi Trophies if Belichick had held onto his best veteran players a little longer?

No one can say for sure, but Belichick’s track record is pretty good. If history is any guide, we’re likely to look back on this week’s Chandler Jones trade as an indication that Belichick is smart about knowing when to move on from a player.

But it’s possible that Law is right, and the 2016 Patriots will be one good pass rusher away from a Super Bowl — and Belichick just traded a good pass rusher away.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
giphy.gif

But as much as they cheat, you would think they would win about every year? :whistle:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Law may have some very valid points, BUT, It's hard to argue with Belacheats Record!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
giphy.gif

But as much as they cheat, you would think they would win about every year? :whistle:
You do realize, this Guy^, is an avid Rams Fan in real Life!!!!?!
I'm not sure he would 'shrug' in a discussion about the Cheattriots! IDK

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

What about his cheating approach? They cancel each other out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Trading vets while they have value is part of the reason they are in the playoffs every season too. So whatever.

I hate Belicheat, but criticizing him is pointless. He is the best.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ty Law is still bitter he was cut - but he had been getting injured prior to that, and was scheduled to make about 1/7 of the cap. ANY team would have cut him. Yes, he had a very good season afterwards, and then spent the rest of his career bouncing from team to team. It's time for him to get over it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm trying to think of what players he could possibly be referring to........anyone, anyone. Bueller?

Rainram

Starter
Trading vets while they have value is part of the reason they are in the playoffs every season too. So whatever.

Yup. Perhaps the equivalent would have been to deal Chris Long before last year. Or Austin this year. They're the kind of moves that make you shake your head (or at least tilt it), but if you move people when they have value, you get 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks out of it. In the meantime, we go 7-9, cut a guy or lose him to FA and get little, if anything in return. And, yes it's hard to part ways with either players having past production, or those with potential, but sometimes you have to make those moves, and trust your ability to get just as much out of their replacement. In hindsight, we could have dealt Long one or two years ago and got the same or better production from virtually any replacement (and I love Chris Long).

"Shrewd" comes to mind with Belichick. There's a degree of cleverness. Confidence in your ability to coach up their replacements (from young guys, to draftees, to UDFA, to FA). Understanding cap situations. Loyalty to winning as opposed to players or $$.

Now, it sure helps having a franchise QB, a shitty division and the refs in your back pocket...but those are other discussions.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The reason I posted this is because I'm guessing that Fisher/Snead are taking a similar approach. Stockpiling picks, cutting veterans when they begin to cost too much, and taking it easy on signing big money free agents. Whether that works out the same as it has for the Patriots is anyone's guess. Belichick is not infallible but then again no one is.

The opposite is what the Eagles did a few seasons back when someone claimed they had assembled "The Dream Team." That didn't work out too well. The Giants are throwing a boatload of money at free agents and that probably won't work out either.

The slow build through draft picks is not exciting for fans but I'm hoping it will work out well for the team in the long run.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate Belicheat, but criticizing him is pointless. He is the best.

Please. Give me Tom Brady and I'll win four super bowls. Belichick was mediocre as Cleveland's coach, and he was mediocre as New England's coach, until Tom Brady arrived. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but the best? No way!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...l-the-moves-the-patriots-have-11-draft-picks/

After all the moves, the Patriots have 11 draft picks
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 17, 2016

The Patriots don’t have a first-round draft pick, stripped away from them as part of the Deflategate penalties.

But they have plenty of other picks, after recent trades have given them more ammunition and more flexibility come this year’s draft.

Via Mike Reiss of ESPN.com, the Patriots now have 11 total draft picks, though five of them are in the sixth round.

Thanks to the second-rounder they added from Arizona in the Chandler Jones deal, they’ll have back-to-back selections in the second round.

They also own Houston’s sixth-rounder from the Keshawn Martin trade, Chicago’s sixth from yesterday’s Martellus Bennett deal and Houston’s seventh from the hit-the-snooze-button Ryan Mallett deal.

They also picked up a third-round compensatory pick and three compensatory sixth-rounders, picks which can’t be traded this year (the rules have changed to allow trading of comp picks starting next year).

All told, the Patriots will draft 60th, 61st, 91st, 96th, 196th, 204th, 208th, 214th, 221st, 243rd and 250th.

That leaves a big gulf in the middle, with no picks in the fourth or fifth rounds. But trying to move seems part of their M.O., and having that extra picks from trades should give them the flexibility to work the board as they traditionally do.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I think the most recent trades factored in that Brady's clock is ticking down. Father Time will end his career too.