Two Rams players could be in play for franchise tag this offseason

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1183821543.jpg

Cameron DaSilva

9 hours ago

Few teams have been more willing to use the franchise tag in recent years than the Los Angeles Rams. They tagged a player in three straight years from 2016-2018, with Trumaine Johnson receiving the first two tags and Lamarcus Joyner the third in 2018.
The Rams opted not to use it in 2019, seeing no viable candidates worth tagging at such a high price. The only possible options were Rodger Saffold and Joyner, who both signed elsewhere in free agency.

After taking a year off from playing tag, the Rams could get back into the game by using it on one of two players this year. Cory Littleton and Dante Fowler Jr. are viewed as the Rams’ most important free agents this offseason, and it’s possible neither will return in 2020.
Littleton has become one of the best linebackers in the NFL despite not earning a Pro Bowl nod, putting together an outstanding 2019 season with 134 tackles, 3.5 sacks and two interceptions. He can do it all from his inside linebacker spot, proving to be the Rams’ second-most valuable player behind Aaron Donald.
Fowler also had the best season of his career. He recorded 11.5 sacks and 16 tackles for loss, ranking second on the team in both categories. His pass-rush win rate of 23% ranked ninth among all edge rushers, finishing in the company of players such as Za’Darius Smith, Jadeveon Clowney, Joey Bosa and Shaq Barrett.
Both players are going to be coveted in free agency, but the Rams can prevent one of them from reaching the market by using the franchise tag. Using the tag typically isn’t good business because of the strain it usually puts on the relationship between the team and player, but it can be a preventative measure to ensure a player is back in the same uniform for at least one more year.
Not only that, but it also opens the door for trades. Last offseason, six teams used the franchise tag. Three of those players were traded, with two of them signing extensions with their new teams. Clowney was dealt from the Texans to the Seahawks after holding out, while Seattle also traded Frank Clark to Kansas City after he was tagged. Clark replaced Dee Ford, who the Chiefs traded to the 49ers.
If the Rams were to tag either Fowler or Littleton, they’d cost the same because in the NFL’s eyes, they play the same position. They’re both considered linebackers, even though they have completely separate responsibilities.
The projected franchise tag for linebackers in 2020 is $16.27 million fully guaranteed. For a defensive end – if Fowler played in a 4-3 scheme – the tag is projected to cost $19.316 million. That’s a significant difference, obviously.
The target price for Littleton is probably in the range of what Shaq Thompson ($13.6 million per year) and Jaylon Smith ($11.4 million per year) got in the last year. He can shoot for Bobby Wagner and C.J. Mosley’s range of $17-18 million per year, but he probably won’t get that.
That makes the $16.27 million tag an expensive one for someone like Littleton. The Rams would be far better off signing him to an extension and locking him up long-term for around $13 million per year.
For Fowler, though, the tag wouldn’t be a bad idea. At $16.27 million, Fowler would rank 12th among all edge rushers in average salary. He can probably earn what Ford got from the 49ers ($17.1 million per year) last offseason on a long-term deal, but it’s unlikely the Rams would break the bank with a long-term extension at that price.
It’s still very early in the process, but there’s no doubt the franchise tag is on the table for Los Angeles this offseason. Andrew Whitworth, Michael Brockers and Greg Zuerlein are also eligible to be tagged, but paying them what the franchise tender is worth in 2020 would not be a wise move by the Rams.
It’ll likely come down to Littleton and Fowler, if Los Angeles decides to use it at all.

Ram65

Legend
The target price for Littleton is probably in the range of what Shaq Thompson ($13.6 million per year) and Jaylon Smith ($11.4 million per year) got in the last year. He can shoot for Bobby Wagner and C.J. Mosley’s range of $17-18 million per year, but he probably won’t get that.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's so egregious that under the tag Fowler would make $16 million instead of $19 million simply because he plays in a 3-4 scheme. The players union really hosed their members when they agreed to the franchise tag terms. I wonder if the tag stays in the upcoming agreement.

RamWoodie

Legend
I don't think you franchise Littleton. Hes a keeper. When it comes to Fowler, I think the LB depth is such that you can let him walk.

Hate to lose either guy though.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think you franchise Littleton. Hes a keeper. When it comes to Fowler, I think the LB depth is such that you can let him walk.

The 30% rule being what it is, the Rams will be hard pressed to ,make a competitive long-term offer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, extend Littleton because the Rams could be going to a 4-3 which would move Littleton outside, perfect and Fowler is a better OLB in a 3-4 defense so hopefully he does not end up in Arizona.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO, extend Littleton because the Rams could be going to a 4-3 which would move Littleton outside, perfect and Fowler is a better OLB in a 3-4 defense so hopefully he does not end up in Arizona.

Will be interesting. I think you said it well. We have to wait & see what happens with the New DC first.

I’m under the assumption though that Corey wants out, or at the least to test the open market. Either way The Rams will not franchise Cory Littleton

If The Rams stay in a 3/4 defense then
Dante Fowler makes a lot of sense to keep. I think trying to figure out a long term deal
might be the way to go ???

The Rams defensive Front has always been number one from a foundation point with Mcvay !!! This is the season he will puzzle it together. Going to start with a new DC though. I believe The Rams can fill in key spots through the draft .

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams need to get back to building in the draft around the core players. They might get a deal done with one of those two and if they feel they can fit that in with Ramsey so be it. But being able to replace good players through the draft is a requirement in today's NFL in being sustaining playoff appearances. Draft well, sign your top players you have developed that you trust to perform with a big paycheck, and let those other guys who will cost too much on the market go for the pick compensation.

Would be nice to see Fowler flipped for a pick. But there's a lot of ways this thing can go so I am ready to see us lose both of them.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Littleton would be a good WILL, no doubt. But maybe Howard will be too...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That's a great point only one I can think of is Anthony Barr of the Vikings, but you're right.

jjab360

Legend
I think Fowler gets the tag, hoping Littleton gets a long term extension. He deserves it imo