Two edge players on roster that nobody is talking about

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Two edge players on roster that nobody is talking about​

We know that the LA Rams love to get after a quarterback and that much of the defensive success relies upon their ability to do exactly that, but how much do you truly know about the rank and file of the roster at the outside linebacker position? For example, do you know which outside linebacker originally hails from Pottsboro Texas? Which former Boston College Eagle is now a rookie for the LA Rams defense?

The fact is the from the moment you add Justin Hollins (the LA Rams hybrid ILB/OLB) to the team’s ranks at outside linebacker, the Rams have seven players who are competing for a roster spot. That 53-man roster will likely carry four to five players, so the final roster spot is up for grabs. Who on the roster is competing for the final spot?

Well, it’s likely that the Rams will already have Leonard Floyd, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, and Justin Hollins inked in. And for now, second-year player Terrell Lewis, if he can attain and remain full health, is likely the team’s fourth rostered player. So the final spot will fall to either Justin Lawler, Max Roberts, or Chris Garrett.

Even if nobody else has been talking about outside linebacker Chris Garrett, we certainly have been. While he is a player worth the optimism, he doesn’t get more than a passing mention in this article. He likely has an inside track on any final spot on the 53-man roster.

But Max Roberts is not about to concede this early in the process. He is the other edge rusher from the 2021 NFL Draft, albeit he was added after the draft ended. He has a bit of a Morgan Fox feel to him. While his 6-foot-1 height and 256-pound weight are rather compact, he understands how to use his leverage to get under the pads of his opponent in a fashion that is quite similar to All-Pro Aaron Donald. From that position, he can move inside or outside to make a play. He is the former Boston College defensive end, who played just one season after transferring from the University of Maine. In one season, he put up 4.5 sacks for the Eagles. He may struggle a bit in pass coverage, but he has the right instincts and build for a rotational role on an NFL defense.

6-foot-4 262-pound outside linebacker Justin Lawler was the 2018 NFL Draft addition to the pass rush. Hailing from Pottsboro, Texas, this young man put up nearly 10 quarterback sacks in his senior season for Southern Methodist University. He arrived raw to the LA Rams defense in 2018 but has been plagued with injuries ever since. In his rookie year, he played a cameo role on defense but was used far more often on special teams.

This year, both Lawler and Roberts will have the chance to earn a spot on the Rams roster.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thought Lawler showed a little something a couple of years ago as to Chris Garrett, well, seems to have the ability to rush the passer, not sure about Maximillian Roberts, but my future grandson is going to have the name "Maximillian" so there is that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Garrett has speed and burst galore but not much in the way of technique. I think he’s a PS squad candidate.

Lawler has had a few years to make a roster in desperate need of a pass rusher. I think he’s released.

Roberts has a lot of potential to make the team imo. He’s much more polished than Garrett.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What we lack on the blindside is that jump and threat that puts some fear in the offense.

Now AD puts fear in the offense. And Floyd is a powerhouse strongside threat. But oh man I keep imagining what a better blindside threat could do for us. It would be that third heat that overwhelms most OL.

Obo is not that guy, though he is a good all around type who can do a bit of everything. Hollins is similar, and also lacks that top end twitch but we should have a solid contain type rotation on that side and both can drop in space.

The guy who does have a little twitch to him is Garret but the level of competition works against him. Also it is just unlikely that the Rams hit big on all these late round types. Statistically we know most should be JAGs even though we seem to have a really nice collection of them this year.

So idk man. At this point I am just hopeful someone surprises on the blindside. And as it pertains to Garret surprising means looking good enough in camp to win a low snap count and stick on the roster as a rotation piece. That plus Obo arriving this year with just a solid rush game would make me feel a lot better about the group.

oldnotdead

Legend
LOL, How about Jonah Williams with the classic build and speed of a 3-4 DE. Hollins is 6'5", 248 lbs ran a 4.5 in the 40. Williams is 6'5", 275 lbs, and was timed at 4.6. Compared to Floyd who is 6'5", 240 lbs, and timed at 4.6. Lewis is 6'5", 262 lbs, and timed at 4.75.

Once again talking heads who don't know the team. Hollins has the experience and the production last year to have earned the start. While Williams looks like a good rotational guy. If Lewis' knee isn't better by Sept. look for him to be IR with a settlement by the end of the season. With Hollins and Williams, they will have good speed off both edges with power from AD and Robinson inside. It's why I say I'm not overly concerned about that outside spot opposite Floyd.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the Rams have a lot of interesting guys competing opposite Floyd.

Hollins and Lawler… There is stuff there to like, same with others. Garrett feels raw. We need someone to step up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Terrell Lewis is the guy I want to see make a huge leap this year.

Agreed. I think he could be the answer to our outside linebacker pass-rushing concerns, if healthy.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
COmbo of Lewis & Hollins is the answer. Hollins on run downs & Lewis to pin his ears. Keep Lewis on a pitch count!

oldnotdead

Legend
I think that rotation of Hollins and Lewis until Lewis' knee gives out again. If it's not healed by now it may never be right and if he can't play it's time to IR Lewis and move on. I personally don't see Okoronkwo making the roster. Not with Garrett and Earnest Brown as options. I think Garrett is two years away and Brown might be ready for a meaningful rotational role next year. The fact they drafted those two might really put Howard and Okoronkwo on the bubble. Don't forget J. Williams who at the very least can play STs until needed. But I can see him in rotation with Floyd and Hoecht in rotation with AD. Hoecht might be a good option on early downs instead of continuing to burn AD's candle. We all saw how badly he was missed in the playoffs. IMO that was a wake up call.

All I can say is the opposing offenses better not get behind the chains because Morris has some dogs to send if you get behind the chains or on the scoreboard.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LOL, How about Jonah Williams with the classic build and speed of a 3-4 DE. Hollins is 6'5", 248 lbs ran a 4.5 in the 40. Williams is 6'5", 275 lbs, and was timed at 4.6. Compared to Floyd who is 6'5", 240 lbs, and timed at 4.6. Lewis is 6'5", 262 lbs, and timed at 4.75.

Once again talking heads who don't know the team. Hollins has the experience and the production last year to have earned the start. While Williams looks like a good rotational guy. If Lewis' knee isn't better by Sept. look for him to be IR with a settlement by the end of the season. With Hollins and Williams, they will have good speed off both edges with power from AD and Robinson inside. It's why I say I'm not overly concerned about that outside spot opposite Floyd.
To early to tell. The preseason will show us all a lot. A good article.

If your talking DE/ then that is different. A Morgan Fox is for the Big Boys..Ernest Brown looks good off the edge.I think he can be good on running downs. as well as off the edge.He uses his hands well & is very strong..

I’m curious about the LBers inside.
Troy Reeder & Micha Kiser would work well off each other. I’m not a Kenny Young Fan. I also HATE Holland’s.He got so much playing time last season,but stunk.He does have the skill set & some good experience(film) to learn from. His numbers someone showed told a different story. I think play overall rules stats.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that rotation of Hollins and Lewis until Lewis' knee gives out again. If it's not healed by now it may never be right and if he can't play it's time to IR Lewis and move on. I personally don't see Okoronkwo making the roster. Not with Garrett and Earnest Brown as options. I think Garrett is two years away and Brown might be ready for a meaningful rotational role next year. The fact they drafted those two might really put Howard and Okoronkwo on the bubble. Don't forget J. Williams who at the very least can play STs until needed. But I can see him in rotation with Floyd and Hoecht in rotation with AD. Hoecht might be a good option on early downs instead of continuing to burn AD's candle. We all saw how badly he was missed in the playoffs. IMO that was a wake up call.

All I can say is the opposing offenses better not get behind the chains because Morris has some dogs to send if you get behind the chains or on the scoreboard.
Lewis from what I understood was dealing with an ankle injury. The knee flared up,but only for a couple games.Copper Kupp knows about knees as well as Reggie Scott.He should be good ? Still a question though(concern). Henderson is fighting for a starting job.

Obo is such a question mark. I’d cut him if he doesn’t show up with better play than the next player up.

—that was a nice break down.

dang

Legend
Agreed. I think he could be the answer to our outside linebacker pass-rushing concerns, if healthy.
Lewis only needs to be available for about 30% of the defensive plays. Hopefully he can be trained up/healthy for that level of play this year.