Turf vs Grass

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shake-n-bake

Rookie
Did Kroenke make one big mistake on SOFI. I am seeing a lot of stories on the problems when it comes to turf. I think OBJ's foot got stuck in the pellets and in turn the pressure ended up tearing his ACL. Grass gives and may have not caused the tear. Should that field be changed? Can it be changed at this point?

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Did Kroenke make one big mistake on SOFI. I am seeing a lot of stories on the problems when it comes to turf. I think OBJ's foot got stuck in the pellets and in turn the pressure ended up tearing his ACL. Grass gives and may have not caused the tear. Should that field be changed? Can it be changed at this point?

A grass field would get destroyed with games every Sunday.
Now if we can kick the chargers out, we could go to natural grass

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not sure if I can remember another non-contact knee injury in two seasons at SoFi.

Can anyone think of one?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
A grass field would get destroyed with games every Sunday.
Now if we can kick the chargers out, we could go to natural grass

Either way, the squatters need to leave.

The Chargers have got to know that they are firmly second fiddle in LA now that the Rams have won the Super Bowl in their OWN stadium - the stadium the Chargers have to rent. It's going to be really hard for them to gain traction like the Rams have now, because an opportunity this historical, and the Rams capitalized on it in spectacular fashion. How can the Chargers top that? They can't, especially with an owner like Spanos.

The only solution for them is for Spanos to sell the team to a billionaire that can afford his own building and move back to San Diego where they belong. Even Spanos knows that now, although he is both stubborn and stupid and will hang on for dear life. But his gamble in moving to LA has failed, and the Rams sealed the deal this past Sunday with a franchise defining win of the kind that brings in generational fans.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The field turf in Sofi seems to be shorter than normal. Looks more like carpet than grass!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Do any of you have a clue what you’re talking about?
I actually posted a few years back I’d miss the Coliseum cuz it was grass.

This just in…
Sofi’s field is 50-100 feet below grade, so it ain’t…”cards and raiders did it, why can’t Rams…”

Calling all geniuses…tell us how.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'm sure it's something they'll look into. Players are starting to voice their opinions so

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
George Kittle has a petition at change.org/fliptheturf to do away with turf fields in NFL stadiums.

Turf fields are playing on hard cement cover by a carpet. Instead of playing harder, play smarter.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
there's gotta be a better option, no? Isn't there a hybrid turf that's like natural and artificial grass combined that's supposed to be better? Or am I buggin?

shake-n-bake

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
there's gotta be a better option, no? Isn't there a hybrid turf that's like natural and artificial grass combined that's supposed to be better? Or am I buggin?
Given all the money with our owner and the NFL. I would hope they can commission there own research and solution for this. It is better to solve this then having to pay people on IR and then also pay replacements at the same time

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
I haven't kept up on the progress of the agri-tech, but bottom line is that hybrid seems feasible:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don’t think Beckham’s foot got stuck. I heard he might have already been having problems with it and might have been on track to have a procedure done this off-season to clean it up.

Yes, turf fields do seem to have more non-contact injuries but grass fields that aren’t in great condition have problems too.

I seriously doubt with the field being below grade at Sofi that they can have a quality grass surface.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Other than the untimely injury to Beckham I am unaware of this stadium being a problem.

With the Chargers sharing the field there have been a good number of games played their the past two years and doesn;t appear to a problem for others.

Yet, it will always be part of the discussion.

If it was a grass field how does Beckham not injure that awkward move on the same knee he re-injured?

As I recall the Rams tried several different turfs at the Dome. I don't know if any made a difference.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I thought I remember reading the Rams Matrix Turf was “safer than grass”.

But this letter on the NFLPA states some staggering stats on artificial fields.

Based on NFL injury data collected from 2012 to 2018, not only was the contact injury rate for lower extremities higher during practices and games held on artificial turf, NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Turf is horrid and hard on the body, huh huh. I never had feet issues until I started exercising on turf for hours at a time. I see others with knee and back issues as well.

Thin layer of felt that sits on top of shredded rubber that is not super compacted, which is on concrete. It also gets about 10 degrees hotter during sunny days, it's honestly like a sauna releasing heat upwards.

The main benefit is low upkeep cost and excellent drainage. Most turf fields are actually angled 2+ degrees away from the center with French drains underneath to mitigate flooding and water damage.

Grass requires year long care, but is much gentler on the joints and feet. I'm guessing the owners are not thrilled with Kittles petition.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And grass fields were the culprit of injuries when teams started switching to astro turf back in the day.
Bottom line? Injuries are going to happen no matter what surface they play on. The torque these athletes put on their bodies defies the laws of nature.