Turf Show Times:Trumaine Johnson Ready to Move on from Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend

Xavier Rhodes about to get 5 year $70m contract.

Man did the rams screw up with their cbs. They totally whiffed on their projection of the cb market.

The Rams screwed up the CB's for sure. They low balled JJ and he got a new agent. They easily could have paid him what the Giants gave him. That seems like the point when JJ decided he didn't want to be a Ram. He did make comments about the poor Ram's offense when he was a Giant.

On TruJo I'm not sure why the two parties couldn't agree a on a long term deal last year. It could have been Johnson. As it stands now he gets over 30 million for last year and this year.

I don't if they totally whiffed on the projected market. They did whiff on the negotiations of both players. I remember going back at forth with (jrry32) about what it would cost the Rams for both. JJ was about 12.5 to 12 Million a year, TruJo was about 11-11.5 Million a year. That's what Jenkins got and TruJo now has a much better deal. They should have offered them both solid deals to begin with. The Rams screwed up the negotiation part.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I could not argue on his behalf to qualify be rated in this article. Been saying this for long time.Johnson is a good tall corner who has had some injury issues since his arrival in 2012. In all his past 5 seasons he has yet to play a full season of 16 games.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/trumaine-johnson-player-injuries

2 seasons Tru only started 3 & 5 games a season. His only injury free season was his rookie season when he was not a starter. One thing that Tru was better at than JJ was not gambling on play making shots. He was far more conservative in his approach. Not all but a good amount of those number'd INT's were in games that the Rams were not in & were well beaten. But Tru does have very good hands for a BCB. Far better than Tavon Austin.

Tru has has played many seasons with some very good Ram DB's like JJ, TJ & Rod McLeod where these departed Ram DB's performed better on Sunday than Tru did. Fact is Tru is most likely not a good fit in this new Wade D & the Org knows it. Sad way this turned out but these things happen.Tru should have a very solid overall career in this NFL & I do wish him well for I do think he is a real good guy. Could very well end up a 9ers next season making a good deal of $$$ still..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If he's a free agent next year, I hope he gets a contract that makes him one of the highest paid cornerbacks in the league. That'll mean he had a great year in 2017 and we'll get a great comp pick for it.
Yah BUT!! If he starts playing like he's a goner, and not wanted here and doesn't want to be here, that could be Bad for the Team!!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Yah BUT!! If he starts playing like he's a goner, and not wanted here and doesn't want to be here, that could be Bad for the Team!!

That's when Coach McVay states: "Mr. Johnson... meet Mr Bench! Next!"

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
My take ...after watching the interview. ...he wanted a long term contract....but him continuing to state "I'm here to help win, I'm here to help win.... he is trying to say....we will still get his max effort. .... we will see..... ;)

Go Rams...... ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams are set up to have nearly $40 million in salary-cap space next year -- without even accounting for the likelihood of a cap increase -- but didn't want to set aside enough room for their primary cornerback. Aaron Donald, who's holding out while hoping for a restructured contract, is the focus right now. So are inside linebacker Alec Ogletree and defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, both of whom are heading into the final year of their contracts. Ideally, the Rams would agree to extensions with all three of them before the end of training camp.

They've prioritized Donald, Ogletree, and Joyner first.
We kinda messed this up....but corners are coming out better every year....

I can't believe we want to extend Joyner...I'd keep Mo first.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to question his commitment after a statement like that . Not good

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We kinda messed this up....but corners are coming out better every year....

I can't believe we want to extend Joyner...I'd keep Mo first.
Fact is that both our starting 2016 BCB's are UFA's when the season ends. On top of that both our slated starting safeties this season will join Johnson & Gaines as UFA's. Our 3rd safety Cody Davis & our 3rd & 4th BCB's Nickell Robey-Coleman/Troy Hill will join them too.Thats seven (7) out of 8 of our top DB's entering UFA'cy.:shocking::rant:.

No way this should of occurred if proper planing had been conducted by our Org. last season in preparation of this event. But I can not state that it was not addressed in the 2017 draft due to the 3rd round draft selection of John Johnson.

The Rams secondary will be in need of a emergency infusion of young talented DB's in next years draft.

Last edited:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I am sick of all this shit, these guys are self centered and greedy. I mean how many millions is enough, they never seem to be satisfied and it seems to be an ego thing. Most of us fans get up every day and go to work, we will never even make one million during our entire lifetime. So go play ball and stop all the bitching and whining about your million dollar contracts and if your not satisfied go to work like the rest of us who are struggling to get by.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I am sick of all this crap, these guys are self centered and greedy. I mean how many millions is enough, they never seem to be satisfied and it seems to be an ego thing. Most of us fans get up every day and go to work, we will never even make one million during our entire lifetime. So go play ball and stop all the bitching and whining about your million dollar contracts and if your not satisfied go to work like the rest of us who are struggling to get by.

I hear ya. But I can't judge. None of us know, which side is being unrealistic. If the Rams are low balling, fuck them. If Tru is asking for the sky, fuck him.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Tru can go to Hades, he sucks and is not worth 17 million by a long shot. I would not be surprised if Gaines and Webster beat him out.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Dearest Trumaine,

Do please shut your cakehole and play. You're already getting paid FAR more than you're worth and now you're becoming a bigger Johnson which only magnifies your overpayment. You're already set for life. Try to be gracious and thankful on your way, whichever way it happens to be.

Go Rams!!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Wow, I'm happy for the guy honestly. Sucks we can't get a deal worked out, but please folks, perspective. His body has already taken plenty of abuse for this franchise. He's supposed to offer them a long term discount on top of it?

In his time, we've seen the Rams cut ties on Long, JL55, Finnegan, Jenkins and McLeod (amongst others) under the guise of fixing the cap and improving the team. Well, we cleared a helluva lot of cap, where's the beef?

I find no fault in Tru's words or actions here. Clearly he wants (wanted?) to stay in the horns. Rumor was he turned down a trade to NOLA because he thought he could get a deal here. Hindsight, as always, is 20/20.