Turf Show Times:Trumaine Johnson Ready to Move on from Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Trumaine Johnson Ready to Move on from Rams
8 New, 8 comments
It didn’t take Trumaine Johnson long to make his views on his contract situation known....
by Sean Wilkinson@Papa_Lurch Jul 29, 2017, 5:44pm PDT

Trumaine Johnson’s contract dilemma has hung over the Los Angeles Rams for the better part of two calendar years. With Johnson playing the 2017 NFL season on a second consecutive franchise tag for $16.7 million, the situation was ripe to float over the franchise for the duration of the 2017 season.

Tru isn’t having any of that.....

Welp, that clears that up. After being retained over Janoris Jenkins and being the highest paid CB in the NFL this year - in addition to the Rams attempting to trade him this offseason - Tru is ready to cut ties with the Rams.

While it’s refreshing to publicly hear where he stands on the matter, we’re just breaking into camp here folks. Day one of camp. Under a new head coach. And he says this shit.

It takes away from the ‘we not me’ that Sean McVay is attempting to instill and shows everything that was wrong with the Jeff Fisher tenure. Kudos to Tru for clearing the air, but holy hell try to pick a better time to bring this up.
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/...eles-rams-cb-trumaine-johnson-wants-out-of-la

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take a friend, TruJo..I am so tired of you now....

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
These guys are football players - not public relation representatives. Cameras in their faces all day they are bound to say something that wasn't artfully worded. Reporters really shouldn't ask about contracts anyway but what he did say was that he was hoping it would get done but that he suspected that the Rams want to go another way - which may be the case.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
If you're expecting $16.7m again next year... Then yeah, they're going another way.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Meh. Cya.

Granted it's not HIS fault entirely, but still. Cya.

The team will survive.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If he's a free agent next year, I hope he gets a contract that makes him one of the highest paid cornerbacks in the league. That'll mean he had a great year in 2017 and we'll get a great comp pick for it.

Zero

Pro Bowler

• Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

• IRVINE, Calif. -- Trumaine Johnson uttered the same phrase six times in a span of four minutes: "I'm here to win games."

Underneath that, however, was a layer of unmistakable dissatisfaction.
upload_2017-7-30_1-35-29.png

As he prepares to play a second consecutive season under the franchise tag, Trumaine Johnson insists his focus is fully on helping the Rams win. AP Photo/Mark J. TerrilI

Johnson wanted a long-term contract but never received one. His consolation prize is a good one -- Johnson will make $16.74 million under his second consecutive franchise tag, more than anybody else at his position in 2017, but the Los Angeles Rams cornerback also presumes he will be somewhere else next summer.

"I wanted it; I wanted it big-time," Johnson said of an extension after Saturday's first practice. "I believe the Rams are going in a different direction at the end of the season. It’s out of my control. I’m here. I’m still putting my jersey on. I’m lacing up my cleats. I’m happy. I’m here to win games, and I’m going to help this team to win games."

When the Rams first slapped the franchise tag on Johnson in March, they said they first wanted to see if Johnson was a fit under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips before negotiating an extension later in the summer. They either didn't like the fit or, more likely, weren't willing to pay Johnson near the level of some of the top cornerbacks in the NFL, which would've probably required something in the range of what Stephon Gilmore received from the Patriots (five years, $65 million, with $40 million guaranteed).

"I’m here," Johnson said. "I’m still playing football. I’m still lacing up my cleats. I’m still putting that '22' jersey on. I’m blessed. I’m here to win games. That’s my goal. ... I’m here to win games. I’m not worried about after this season. I’m here right now, and my focus is on winning games."

Johnson answered every question -- and every heckler -- with a smile on a bright afternoon at UC Irvine. At one point on the first day of training camp, a fan yelled something to Johnson about earning his money. The 27-year-old came over and offered a handshake. Afterward, he signed autographs.

The Rams are set up to have nearly $40 million in salary-cap space next year -- without even accounting for the likelihood of a cap increase -- but didn't want to set aside enough room for their primary cornerback. Aaron Donald, who's holding out while hoping for a restructured contract, is the focus right now. So are inside linebacker Alec Ogletree and defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, both of whom are heading into the final year of their contracts. Ideally, the Rams would agree to extensions with all three of them before the end of training camp.

"It’ll get done when it gets done," Ogletree said of his deal. "I have an agent who handles all that. I’m here to work; I’m still under contract. I’m going to abide by that, and we’ll see where it goes."

More people play on ESPN than anywhere else. Join or create a league in the No. 1 Fantasy Football game! Sign up for free!

Johnson racked up 13 interceptions from 2013 to 2015, fourth-most in the NFL during that time. But that was as the No. 2 cornerback behind Janoris Jenkins, who eventually left for the Giants. Johnson's interceptions dropped to one in his first year as the primary corner last season, and Pro Football Focus graded him 25th among 109 at his position. Not bad, but not elite. And to the Rams, not worthy of a major contract.

Johnson was asked if he's looking forward to testing the open market next spring, and he went back to his new catchphrase.

"I’m here," he said, pausing, "to win games. When that time comes, at the end of the season, I’m going to take care of it. Right now, I’m with the Rams. I’m an L.A. Ram."

Zero

Pro Bowler
For some reason I don't think coming out and telling everyone that
you're a lame duck player is a good idea.Is he looking to be traded or trying to force one?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So much overreaction in this thread. Alot of players play on one year contracts. Not sure what tru said that was so wrong.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
not sure whats wrong with what he said. he was asked something about his future and he said he thinks they are going in a different direction considering he didnt get a long term deal this offseason even though he really wanted one. Now saying its out of his control is a bit of a lie because his asking price is probably too high for the Rams, but I for one will never be mad at a player for not setting for less than the max money he can possibly make.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have my doubts about how much his heart will be into this season. I hope he remembers that he is auditioning for his next contract.

I am willing to bet that after this season he wont sniff Jenkins deal with the Giants.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Good call by the Rams. If he had played at an elite level consistently it would be a different story. He probably will play great this season, so take the round 3 pick and keep building this thing.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Xavier Rhodes about to get 5 year $70m contract.

Man did the rams screw up with their cbs. They totally whiffed on their projection of the cb market.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Xavier Rhodes about to get 5 year $70m contract.

Man did the rams screw up with their cbs. They totally whiffed on their projection of the cb market.

For sure they could have had them both signed for 5 years $50 million each .
Jenkins test the market then that left them out to dry.
Let's say they gave JJ $54 million 5.
Tru could have been had for 5 years $48 million.
They had just got rid of Cooks,Long,&JL55 contracts.

That being said they are in a good spot moving forward. My hope is Webster plays like a stud &

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I truly think the Rams do want to keep Johnson. But they don't have the funds. They've prioritized Donald, Ogletree, and Joyner first. Then are expecting Goff to command some money down the road if he pans out. If they can manage to get Tru locked up for around 11-12M per, I think that's fair. Tru probably doesn't, though.

Ram65

Legend
Johnson wanted a long-term contract but never received one. His consolation prize is a good one -- Johnson will make $16.74 million under his second consecutive franchise tag, more than anybody else at his position in 2017, but the Los Angeles Rams cornerback also presumes he will be somewhere else next summer.

I wanted it; I wanted it big-time," Johnson said of an extension after Saturday's first practice. "I believe the Rams are going in a different direction at the end of the season. It’s out of my control. I’m here. I’m still putting my jersey on. I’m lacing up my cleats. I’m happy. I’m here to win games, and I’m going to help this team to win games."

"I’m here," Johnson said. "I’m still playing football. I’m still lacing up my cleats. I’m still putting that '22' jersey on. I’m blessed. I’m here to win games. That’s my goal. ... I’m here to win games. I’m not worried about after this season. I’m here right now, and my focus is on winning games."

The twitter post has no context. When hearing it I thought it was kinda bad but, when you have context from the article that he wanted a long term deal it's not. He answered the question and knew what he was saying. It's reality that they are not going to get a deal done.

Johnson racked up 13 interceptions from 2013 to 2015, fourth-most in the NFL during that time. But that was as the No. 2 cornerback behind Janoris Jenkins, who eventually left for the Giants. Johnson's interceptions dropped to one in his first year as the primary corner last season, and Pro Football Focus graded him 25th among 109 at his position. Not bad, but not elite. And to the Rams, not worthy of a major contract.

He is not here in this top 25 in Nov 2016
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-top-25-nfl-cornerbacks-this-season