CAMP REPORT Tue July-31 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
LA Rams August Schedule.JPG
https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-5-of-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 5 of Training Camp

1) Before the first whistle of practice officially blew, punter Johnny Hekker was on the field practicing working on directional kicks to both the right and left sideline. The accuracy and precision with which he was punting the ball to equipment assistants 40-to-50 yards downfield was fairly remarkable — though not entirely surprising from the four-time first-team All-Pro.

2) Center John Sullivan was back in pads for Monday’s practice. He left Sunday’s session with trainers after sustaining a minor arm injury. Head coach Sean McVay did say following Sunday’s practice that he thought Sullivan would be OK. Sullivan’s presence on the line is a key factor in Los Angeles’ offensive success.

3) During individual drills, linebackers worked on securing tipped passes for interceptions. Linebackers coach Joe Barry would toss a pass for assistant linebackers coach Chris Shula to tip in the air about five-to-six-yards away. After the deflection, each linebacker would have to catch the pass for a pick.

4) Also in individual drills, cornerbacks worked on jamming receivers in the red zone. Each corner would line up opposite another in his group posing as a wide receiver. The corner would then have to get his hands on the receiver off the line and react to where a popular goal-line route was going. As one might expect, veteran cornerback Aqib Talib excelled at this particular drill — expertly reading the movements of younger DBs.

5) That particular cornerbacks drill is relevant because Los Angeles practiced red zone one-on-ones with quarterbacks, wide receivers, and cornerbacks. Notably from the period…
  • Talib performed well covering wide receiver Robert Woods, blanketing him in coverage to force quarterback Jared Goff into some uncomfortable throws.
  • Wide receiver Mike Thomas made an outstanding catch on the offense’s left. Goff delivered a back-shoulder throw, Thomas went up, secured the ball, and maintained possession and he hit the ground.
  • Cornerback Troy Hill and wide receiver Josh Reynolds had two decent battles. On their first rep, Hill batted away a fade route. On their second, Reynolds got the best of the matchup with
6) In a later 11-on-11 period, Goff and Woods connected for what would’ve been a touchdown pass down the seam on the left. Woods was wide open on the play, as there may have been a miscommunication from the scout-team defense.

7) Talib and fellow cornerback Marcus Peters are always communicating on the field. During one play in 11-on-11 drills against the first-team offense, wide receiver Brandin Cooks got behind the secondary and was open for what would’ve been a long touchdown reception. However, the pass was just a bit overthrown and ended up incomplete. Nevertheless, Talib and Peters stayed in conversation all the way to the sideline to dissect exactly what went wrong, correcting it for the next play.

8) In a red-zone 11-on-11 period, Goff hit running back Todd Gurley over the middle for a touchdown pass. Not that there was any reason to expect something different, but it’s clear that Gurley will once again be a significant part of Los Angeles’ passing game in 2018.

9) Kicker Greg Zuerlein nailed all six of his attempted field goals on Monday, with the longest coming from 50-yards out. Special teams coordinator John Fassel said following practice that Zuerlein is “full go” after the back injury that landed him on injured reserve late in 2017. Fassel added that Zuerlein is likely “feeling as good as he has in years.”

10) After five straight days of practices, McVay shortened the length of Monday’s session and used the day’s last period to give younger players time for more 11-on-11 work. These plays didn’t quite feature “live” tackling, but the thudding was noticeable as players were probably trying to make a strong impression before the preseason games even begin.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/practice-report-7-30-tight-end-competition-is-heating-up

Practice Report 7/30: Tight End Competition is Heating Up

TIGHT ENDS

Perhaps the most competitive position battle in L.A. this summer is between tight ends. The contenders include Tyler Higbee, Gerald Everett, and Temarrick Hemingway, who celebrated his 25th birthday on Monday.

Pass game coordinator/tight ends coach Shane Waldron commented on the status of his position group, calling it “a great competition.” Waldron also talked about what Higbee can do to come up big in year three — specifically in the red zone.

“I think overall as a part of the offense he [Higbee] does a good job of doing a little bit of everything,” Waldron said. “He does a lot of dirty work and I think as far as his role in the red zone — just like anything else — growing in his second year in this offense in particular, and just building that rapport with Goff — just like the rest of the tight ends — so we have a good rapport in the red zone.”

Waldron also said Everett has made an impression entering his second year by changing his overall approach to the game and paying greater attention to detail when it comes to Xs and Os.

MILITARY APPRECIATION DAY

The Rams held their fifth consecutive training camp practice on Monday afternoon before Tuesday’s scheduled off day.

The Rams organization welcomed several members of the United States Military to Monday’s practice as a part of Military Appreciation Day.

Service members from surrounding areas a received a custom ‘Salute to Service’ Rams flag and exchanged high-fives with Rams players as they entered the field.

Airman Mara Ignacio and her husband, Army captain Jan Ignacio, joined fellow service members in Irvine.

“It’s an awesome day honestly. This is a really cool day to spend together and appreciate fandom with the Rams,” Jan said.

He continued, voicing his appreciation for the day dedicated to military members.

“Days like this, being able to spend time together and be fans and just really relax — be ourselves — it’s really great for us to have that opportunity.”

TUESDAY DAY OFF

The Rams have Tuesday off, which might come as a much-needed break for a few. The team has remained relatively healthy throughout the first five days of camp, with center John Sullivan returning to practice today after exiting Sunday’s practice early.

McVay said he is glad his guys will be able to relax on Tuesday.

“I think it’s good guys get off their feet — we’ll cut down meeting a little bit tonight as well and then let them have their rest tomorrow,” McVay said. “[W]e’ll come back and we really have three good days of work with the walk-thru and with practices before we head to Baltimore on Sunday.”

COACH PHILLIPS COMES CLEAN

The Wade Phillips ‘Fortnite’ Twitter saga may have come to an end on Monday.

Following practice, ESPN writer Lindsey Thiry publicly asked the Rams’ defensive coordinator about the popular video game for the first time, to which Phillips replied, “You didn’t see my tweet?”

When asked if he actually plays the game, Phillips explained he wore the shirt for his six-year-old grandson who plays Fortnite.

“But I would have a pretty good squad I think… I might win a ‘Battle Royale’ too,” Phillips finished.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good info on the primary Tight Ends as Higbee needs to be more consistent catching the football or not dropping it and we all look for Gerald Everett to have more of an impact. Temarrick Hemingway add another dimension to the group as he's bigger that Everett and faster than Higbee so they should make an interesting triumvirate come September Morn.

As to the other three Tight Ends on the roster, not much info so far for the likes of Johnny Mundt, Henry Krieger-Coble and Gerald McElroy (who BTW is listed as a WR on the Ram website) however, one would surmise the Rams will keep one of those guys on the PS, Mundt was on the PS most of last year and did make a nice play against the 49ers, but McElroy if he shows anything might have a chance for the PS this season because of being 6-6, which BTW is the height that Higbee is listed at as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Waldron also said Everett has made an impression entering his second year by changing his overall approach to the game and paying greater attention to detail when it comes to Xs and Os.

:eek:

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
"Cornerback Troy Hill and wide receiver Josh Reynolds had two decent battles. On their first rep, Hill batted away a fade route. On their second, Reynolds got the best of the matchup with"

With what???? :LOL: Sorry, Josh is one of my favs to watch out for this camp, so I want to know what the rest of that thought was....

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I keep reading reports that Reynolds is dropping a lot of balls. Should he be peeking over his shoulder at Michael Thomas at this point?

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
I keep reading reports that Reynolds is dropping a lot of balls. Should he be peeking over his shoulder at Michael Thomas at this point?
Last year I had Reynolds over Thomas and felt Thomas would not even make the team.

This year, Thomas is really showing well, making tough catches in and out of traffic.

Our WR group is pretty well stacked so with the exception of Woods, Cooks and Kupp I think any of the remainder are expendable.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I loved the Reynolds pick and thought he flashed a bit last season. But the NFL is a meritocracy, and requires results for a player to earn his place in the position pecking order.

Reynolds needs to impress pdq or he will slip down the roster to the point that he will never see the field.

Not unlike Higbee. Loved the pick at the time but now I’m underwhelmed. I sure expected more.