TST: Five fiercest defensive front 7’s but no Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...broncos-texans-raiders-panthers-steelers-rams

Los Angeles Rams Go Unmentioned on NFL.com’s List of Fiercest Defensive Front 7’s
By Brandon Bate@NoPlanB

usa-today-8928216.0.jpg

Billy Hurst-USA TODAY Sports

Los Angeles Rams’ head coach Jeff Fisher and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams have built a very talented young defense; the type quick, powerful, and creative enough to create havoc in the opposition’s backfield.

When the Rams signed former Patriots’ defensive lineman Dominique Easley about a month ago, he became the fifth first round defensive lineman on the Rams’ roster, joining Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, and fellow free agent pickup Quinton Coples.

Throw in linebackers Alec Ogletree and Mark Barron, and that’s a whole lot of first round talent lining up in the box this fall.

But just how good is the Rams’ front seven and where do they stack up with the rest of the NFL?

According to a panel of NFL.com analysts, not even Top 5. Shaun O’Hara,Nate Burleson, David Carr, Michael Robinson, and Ike Taylor each went around the horn, noting the fiercest of defensive fronts in the league, selecting the Broncos, Texans, Panthers, Raiders, and Steelers, respectively; leaving the Rams without mention.

To be fair, it wasn’t a rankings list, per se, so it’s possible these fellas might’ve had the Rams ranked inside their Top 5. For now though, we just have to assume the Rams are going to have to convince them otherwise.

In the Jeff Fisher era as Rams’ head coach, he’s consistently had the team with 40+ sacks, but the numbers have dropped over the past two seasons. In 2012 and 2013, the Rams had 52 and 53 sacks, respectively; good for more than any other team in the NFL in that span.

They tallied 40 in 2014, and 41 last year. If they hope to find themselves inside that "Top 5" or "elite" defense company, a slew of first round picks are going to have to revert back to numbers similar to the team’s 2014/2015 efforts.

Luckily, they’ve got the talent. Now for the hard part...turning potential into production.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I may believe the Rams have a top 5 defensive front 7 on paper, they still need to prove it. So long as all remain healthy throughout the 2016 season, we'll be reading about our Rams actually grading top 5 this time next year. jmo.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Can't say I disagree, because of the LB situation which is unproven so to speak.

If this was a list of front 4's then the Rams would be on it.........but it's front 7.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
After the front 7 this team should be on top 5, it all comes down to the linebackers . I think the big change in speed will definitely help the pass rush and coverage this year.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I think it is bs to not even be on this list........that being said.... I guess it's more important that we are are on this list or even no. 1 on this list at the end of the year rather than at the beginning. ....;)

Go Rams........ ;)

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Looks good on paper, gotta prove it on the field. No excuses for excessive holding, or new MLB. DBs have to lock down the back end and these guys have to ball out. It's time to quit talking and get it done.

DenverRam

Starter
Rams linebackers. No real edge rusher besides quinn.

Rams top 10 at least tho.

panthers only made this list because of their LBs, their d line is pretty weak.

Texans shouldnt have made this. JJwatt and who else?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rams linebackers. No real edge rusher besides quinn.

Rams top 10 at least tho.

panthers only made this list because of their LBs, their d line is pretty weak.

Texans shouldnt have made this. JJwatt and who else?

Disagree on the bolded part. Their defensive tackles are extremely stout in Kawann Short and Star Loutelelei. They also have Kony Ealy (a Mizzou guy who is a dominant pass rusher). Add in their linebacking corps, and I'm not surprised that they made the list.

Raiders making this list is bullshit, though. They have Khalil Mack and who else? I agree with you on the Texans as well.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
If Ogletree and Barron can stay healthy... I have sympathy for teams in our division who have to see them twice a year.

Then we just have, you know, Quinn, Brockers, Donald, Hayes/Coples, etc. Also, watch out for that Easley kid from New England-- he's an upgrade over Fairley imo.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well this is just a list created by a few ex NFL players who aren't playing the game right now.
I'd be willing to bet that if current NFL coaches or players were asked...the Rams front 7 would be right there near the top. Not that any of these things matter in June....

…..

Legend
We need linebackers

We'll see how the league responds this year to Gregg Williams smaller LB corps. They're gonna have to make a helluva difference to get noticed. Its going to be feast or famine. Gregg will either be a genius, or not by the end of the year.