Trumaine Johnson was one of the best #2 CBs in the NFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When he and Janoris were here.

It's shockingly true when you look back at his career stats - clearly more effective when JJ was here. The idea of bringing TruJo back has been intriguing to me, assuming it's around $12 million per year on average. For a few reasons:

1. While he may not fit Wade's press-man scheme, he's a great zone corner and a solid tackler for the position. Having Peters on one side will make Tru VERY effective on the other IMO.

2. As I said before, Tru was at his best as a #2 CB. The difference is stark, and it first became apparent in the same defensive scheme two years ago.

3. Money - probably why most want to move on from him. But here's the thing - IF we replace him with a free agent, they will cost a similar amount - and with heavy cap space this year and next, we can front load Tru's contract so that by the time Peters needs re-signed (or let go), Tru's cap hit is much less painful.

I would re-sign him and NRC. NRC will be an average salary, and that only gives you Tru and Joyner making big money for this year. And would give us the best secondary in the NFL.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope he's back for a reasonable price otherwise he can walk. There's too much talent in the draft and amongst our other corners we currently have on the roster to be overpaying for a good #2 corner.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Considering our off-season losses at LB, Quinn and Ogletree, I hope we keep Tru so we have some good depth at CB!
I'm stunned by the Off-seasons moves Snead and McVay are making, but I trust them, and can't wait to see what the Team looks like by the Time we get to OTA's!!(y);)

Psycho_X

Legend
I like Tru and want him on the team. Unfortunately the problem has always been that the Rams view him more as a #2 CB like most of us do but he wants paid like a #1 and he will probably get it.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not by my eye . Plus he was paid better than an good #1.

Psycho_X

Legend
:giveup: Good luck to whatever team does this for Tru. I'd take Sammy on a 1 year trial for $13 mil.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I like Tru and want him on the team. Unfortunately the problem has always been that the Rams view him more as a #2 CB like most of us do but he wants paid like a #1 and he will probably get it.

Agreed let some other team overpay him

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, h.ell..It's easier to count the guys we are keeping instead of who we are losing at this point...Getting veteran FA's can be risky as far as unit (defense) chemistry, now add rookies who we expect to immediately start and perform in the NFL. There is too much change to hope we go farther in the playoffs than in 2017. Wade knows more, but he better by God stay until this overhaul is seen through to the end.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Sammy for 1 yr/13mil? All day long! Franchise was going to cost 17 mil guaranteed. We get a year to see if last year is what he is.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think it's key for this D to be elite this year to keep TJ but I'd hate to pay him $15M a year for 5 years. This draft is deep at CB but I think we need to draft a LB early.

DeaconJones

Rookie
The TB ("Taser Back") era for the Rams will be over if Trumaine leaves. Both he and Janoris were drafted the same year, and both had been tasered at some point prior to joining the Rams. Janoris was flashy but I liked the play of Trumaine better overall I think.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
We can upgrade, pay less and a better scheme fit with Butler or Talib. The only difference Tru has over the other two is continuity. That is only partially right because Talib was with Wade in Denver.