Trumaine Johnson is hidden gem in FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I searched and didn't see this article posted, unless it's nested in another.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...johnson-is-hidden-gem-in-2016-nfl-free-agency

The 2016 NFL free-agency period is less than one month away before franchises look to alter their future with major acquisitions. The free-for-all bidding officially begins March 9 at 4 p.m. ET, which leaves teams time to study potential targets. Despite the time spent planning, there are always free agents who become hidden gems from the lack of interest or proper homework on the players.

Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson is likely to be the hidden gem of the 2016 free-agency class. The 26-year-old fourth-year cornerback from the University of Montana has grown leaps and bounds to become a quality starter. But he may be overlooked due to the quantity of quality cornerbacks available this offseason.

It’s rare for true No. 1 cornerbacks to ever see the unrestricted free-agent market. One of the best of all time, Darrelle Revis, cashed in with a five-year, $70 million deal last offseason with the New York Jets. This year could bear multiple top cornerbacks as well.

It’s possible and maybe even likely the Carolina Panthers will franchise tag Josh Norman to keep him from seeing the open market. The Kansas City Chiefs may do the same with Sean Smith. Each is a legitimate top cover cornerback in the NFL right now and will command a top salary.

Right behind those two is a group of high-end No. 2 or low-end No. 1 cornerbacks. Johnson is the one who stands out the most from the likes of teammate Janoris Jenkins, Green Bay Packerscornerback Casey Hayward and New York Giants corner Prince Amukamara. This isn’t just because Johnson is the tallest of the group at 6’2”, 205 pounds, either.

The Rams may not be able to retain both Jenkins and Johnson, even though they’re projected to enter free agency with $31 million in cap space before veteran cuts, per Over the Cap. Jenkins is the better system fit for the Rams and may be cheaper since he is smaller and two years older than Johnson.

I took an eight-game sample for Johnson to see how he improved in coverage from 2014 to 2015. He posted a career-high seven interceptions in his first full season starting and is young enough to show improvement in the next two years. The results from my charting were highly encouraging that his arc hasn’t peaked yet.

The games I used for Johnson’s sample were the best eight receiving corps he faced in 2015: the Washington Redskins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks in the season finale. You can read more about my methodology over at DraftCentric.

137e3ffe414824323e95d92a4e33772e_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson has a knack for breaking on the ball perfectly to defend the pass.

The point of the table below is not just to see when Johnson was targeted or allowed a catch. Did he provide quality coverage and force a difficult throw or catch? That's more important question for me. And at what rate did he allow receivers to get open compared to his peers?

I charted 36 cornerbacks in 2014, and 20 in 2013. The project successfully predicted the success of Marcus Peters as a rookie, Stephon Gilmore, Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett. It also helped foresee relative struggles from Byron Maxwell and Joe Haden. These charts aren’t perfect, but they help show who the player is and where he can improve or be picked on.

After looking at the Rams defense and Johnson specifically, there’s no question he played much more confidently and technically sound. The Rams mostly ran off-man, Cover 2 and Cover 4 schemes, which allowed Johnson to be exposed to multiple strategies. Off-man was where he shined the most and made several of his highlight-reel interceptions.

7a721d2c3ed14073953f8fb3024ef489_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson (bottom of screen) steps in front of an inside route for the pick-six.

Off-man coverage allows a lengthy and somewhat linear player like Johnson to worry less about footwork off the line of scrimmage and more about the ball and receiver. Effective off-man coverage requires discipline, acceleration and good timing. It can be a mask for physically limited players who need the extra cushion to survive on the outside.

Johnson does not need to be hidden because of his physical traits, though. He has excellent length and knows how to use it effectively. He is one of the better defenders on both curl and go routes in the NFL because he doesn’t panic when the ball is arriving. His entire coverage process is smooth, and he finds the ball well.

Trumaine Johnson's Coverage Stats vs. 2014 NFL Averages
Route Trumaine Johnson (2015) Coverage Score NFL Average Coverage Score
Cross 0% 37.4%
Quick In-Out 42.85% 32.2%
Slant 33% 49.5%
Comeback 50% 38.9%
Curl 15.78% 24.7%
Deep Out 50% 44.6%
Dig 50% 40%
Corner 50% 39.7%
Post 42.85% 35.9%
Go 13.63% 24.2%
Cumulative 30.23% 32.5%
DraftCentric

This is reflected in his 2015 coverage productivity chart above. Compared to his peers, Johnson does an above-average job of guarding the sideline. His coverage on curl routes and go routes was well below the league average in 2014 despite being heavily exposed to those two routes in particular.

This is also encouraging for potential suitors to look at because there’s reason to have faith Johnson will fit in other schemes. I’d go as far as to say Johnson will do even better in press-based schemes, whether it be in man or Cover 3 or Cover 4 zones. He has the ability to play trail coverage well, given his length and ball skills.

The Rams were playing schemes that fit their other personnel much better than Johnson’s skill set. Instead of a defense putting him in space and forcing him to make decisions, he’s capable of playing a multitude of coverages at a high level. This is where he may be a gem to a new team.

1ba6a61f18d4b3ee612a3de579a56d09_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson struggles with press nuance, but there's reason to believe he will improve.

There aren’t many examples of the Rams using Johnson in press coverage. His inexperience showed when he did try it against Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. But he did well against other physical presences such as Martavis Bryant and Michael Floyd in their individual matchups.

The lack of scheme versatility is one reason why Maxwell struggled to impress in his first season away from Seattle. Expectations were sky-high last year after he signed a six-year, $63 million deal. But his coverage chart showed particular weakness against routes requiring foot precision and quickness such as slants and curls. He needed the comfortable confines of Seattle’s scheme to protect his weaknesses.

Johnson doesn’t have that same limitation. While every team uses a variation of coverages, some are more extreme with their coverage patterns than others. Defensive coordinators who want to throw a multitude of different looks would appreciate Johnson’s ability to switch as needed.

His overall coverage score of 30.23 percent is just outside of the sub-30 percent club. That is where I say a cornerback is comfortably a viable No. 1 option. The elites get beaten no more than 25 percent of the time, and the chasm between the three tiers is considerable.

5fe680bca7006e7cdec4c603fcaf6c01_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson moves with fluidity and quickness despite his size.

A major positive for Johnson is his interceptions. While some cornerbacks are great at smothering receivers, they do not force turnovers. Johnson has good hands and routinely locates the ball. The ability to force a turnover can make up significantly for more coverage lapses.

There is legitimate hope for improvement considering Johnson’s youth. He’s started just 33 games in his four-year career and responded well after earning the starting job in late 2014.

His injury history has caused him to miss nine games in the last two years. That’s something teams will need to factor into their contract negotiations. But he is worth a potentially major investment based on the market.

Massive spending is coming this offseason with so much talent and money available. High-quality cornerbacks are rarely available, so expect Johnson and the rest of the free-agent cornerbacks to cash in. A Maxwell-like deal makes sense in terms of cost per year.

The best suitors for Johnson will have a good pass rush, strong defensive coaching and a history of mixing off-man and vertical zone-coverage patterns. The Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals are the best fits for Johnson if the Rams do not tag him.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Give him strong guaranteed money and get a deal done. Same with Jenks, no reason to lose either one IMO.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Tru is the one that I'd like to keep if they have to chose. Jenkins is too likely to give up a big play while trying to make a pick. It's also possible that he will self destruct in LA with big money in his pocket.
Tru and Gaines would be a great CB combo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This^ is one of the reasons I want the Rams to concentrate on re-signing " ALL " of their FA's before anything else!!!!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Sign one, and if the other doesn't sign, franchise him. Don't want to lose either. Our d line is getting older. Gotta lock down the young corners, that way we can put some resources into the LBers and DLers first. Give them each 7 year deals. And give McLeod a few years too.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Tru J is not a no-name to the Seahawks, Niners and Cardinals, and i'm hearing locally that Trumaine is on the radar for Cardinals GM Steve Keim because they like and want another big corner opposite P.Peterson.

Rams have to lock up both of these guys. Getting poached is one thing, but getting poached by a division rival is another.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hidden Gem only to those people that don't really know anything outside of their own team and the Pro Bowl.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
We need both our corners along with Gaines if this defence is going to take the next step. Cutting popular players is unfortunate but necessary to keep productive players.With the cap space and a few cuts there's no reason we can't keep our secondary intact.

fearsomefour

Legend
Johnson really has improved and bring a lot to the table.
A 6' 2" CB who can run and cover is a rare thing in and of itself. Plus, the guy is usually an excellent tackler.
One way to get them both back is to guarantee a high percentage of the contract. The risk there is injury of course....and it is a risk. But, if I am a player signing some 4 year $80 M deal that pays $8 and $10 and $12 the first three years with a total of $18M guaranteed with a huge back loaded fourth year that will never be paid is neat for the agent. Signing a four year $40M deal with $34M guaranteed is neat for me. I would like this approach with valued FAs even if the deals are shorter.

fearsomefour

Legend
I searched and didn't see this article posted, unless it's nested in another.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...johnson-is-hidden-gem-in-2016-nfl-free-agency

The 2016 NFL free-agency period is less than one month away before franchises look to alter their future with major acquisitions. The free-for-all bidding officially begins March 9 at 4 p.m. ET, which leaves teams time to study potential targets. Despite the time spent planning, there are always free agents who become hidden gems from the lack of interest or proper homework on the players.

Los Angeles Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson is likely to be the hidden gem of the 2016 free-agency class. The 26-year-old fourth-year cornerback from the University of Montana has grown leaps and bounds to become a quality starter. But he may be overlooked due to the quantity of quality cornerbacks available this offseason.

It’s rare for true No. 1 cornerbacks to ever see the unrestricted free-agent market. One of the best of all time, Darrelle Revis, cashed in with a five-year, $70 million deal last offseason with the New York Jets. This year could bear multiple top cornerbacks as well.

It’s possible and maybe even likely the Carolina Panthers will franchise tag Josh Norman to keep him from seeing the open market. The Kansas City Chiefs may do the same with Sean Smith. Each is a legitimate top cover cornerback in the NFL right now and will command a top salary.

Right behind those two is a group of high-end No. 2 or low-end No. 1 cornerbacks. Johnson is the one who stands out the most from the likes of teammate Janoris Jenkins, Green Bay Packerscornerback Casey Hayward and New York Giants corner Prince Amukamara. This isn’t just because Johnson is the tallest of the group at 6’2”, 205 pounds, either.

The Rams may not be able to retain both Jenkins and Johnson, even though they’re projected to enter free agency with $31 million in cap space before veteran cuts, per Over the Cap. Jenkins is the better system fit for the Rams and may be cheaper since he is smaller and two years older than Johnson.

I took an eight-game sample for Johnson to see how he improved in coverage from 2014 to 2015. He posted a career-high seven interceptions in his first full season starting and is young enough to show improvement in the next two years. The results from my charting were highly encouraging that his arc hasn’t peaked yet.

The games I used for Johnson’s sample were the best eight receiving corps he faced in 2015: the Washington Redskins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Arizona Cardinals, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Detroit Lions, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks in the season finale. You can read more about my methodology over at DraftCentric.

137e3ffe414824323e95d92a4e33772e_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson has a knack for breaking on the ball perfectly to defend the pass.

The point of the table below is not just to see when Johnson was targeted or allowed a catch. Did he provide quality coverage and force a difficult throw or catch? That's more important question for me. And at what rate did he allow receivers to get open compared to his peers?

I charted 36 cornerbacks in 2014, and 20 in 2013. The project successfully predicted the success of Marcus Peters as a rookie, Stephon Gilmore, Bradley Roby and Jason Verrett. It also helped foresee relative struggles from Byron Maxwell and Joe Haden. These charts aren’t perfect, but they help show who the player is and where he can improve or be picked on.

After looking at the Rams defense and Johnson specifically, there’s no question he played much more confidently and technically sound. The Rams mostly ran off-man, Cover 2 and Cover 4 schemes, which allowed Johnson to be exposed to multiple strategies. Off-man was where he shined the most and made several of his highlight-reel interceptions.

7a721d2c3ed14073953f8fb3024ef489_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson (bottom of screen) steps in front of an inside route for the pick-six.

Off-man coverage allows a lengthy and somewhat linear player like Johnson to worry less about footwork off the line of scrimmage and more about the ball and receiver. Effective off-man coverage requires discipline, acceleration and good timing. It can be a mask for physically limited players who need the extra cushion to survive on the outside.

Johnson does not need to be hidden because of his physical traits, though. He has excellent length and knows how to use it effectively. He is one of the better defenders on both curl and go routes in the NFL because he doesn’t panic when the ball is arriving. His entire coverage process is smooth, and he finds the ball well.

Trumaine Johnson's Coverage Stats vs. 2014 NFL Averages
Route Trumaine Johnson (2015) Coverage Score NFL Average Coverage Score
Cross 0% 37.4%
Quick In-Out 42.85% 32.2%
Slant 33% 49.5%
Comeback 50% 38.9%
Curl 15.78% 24.7%
Deep Out 50% 44.6%
Dig 50% 40%
Corner 50% 39.7%
Post 42.85% 35.9%
Go 13.63% 24.2%
Cumulative 30.23% 32.5%
DraftCentric

This is reflected in his 2015 coverage productivity chart above. Compared to his peers, Johnson does an above-average job of guarding the sideline. His coverage on curl routes and go routes was well below the league average in 2014 despite being heavily exposed to those two routes in particular.

This is also encouraging for potential suitors to look at because there’s reason to have faith Johnson will fit in other schemes. I’d go as far as to say Johnson will do even better in press-based schemes, whether it be in man or Cover 3 or Cover 4 zones. He has the ability to play trail coverage well, given his length and ball skills.

The Rams were playing schemes that fit their other personnel much better than Johnson’s skill set. Instead of a defense putting him in space and forcing him to make decisions, he’s capable of playing a multitude of coverages at a high level. This is where he may be a gem to a new team.

1ba6a61f18d4b3ee612a3de579a56d09_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson struggles with press nuance, but there's reason to believe he will improve.

There aren’t many examples of the Rams using Johnson in press coverage. His inexperience showed when he did try it against Detroit Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. But he did well against other physical presences such as Martavis Bryant and Michael Floyd in their individual matchups.

The lack of scheme versatility is one reason why Maxwell struggled to impress in his first season away from Seattle. Expectations were sky-high last year after he signed a six-year, $63 million deal. But his coverage chart showed particular weakness against routes requiring foot precision and quickness such as slants and curls. He needed the comfortable confines of Seattle’s scheme to protect his weaknesses.

Johnson doesn’t have that same limitation. While every team uses a variation of coverages, some are more extreme with their coverage patterns than others. Defensive coordinators who want to throw a multitude of different looks would appreciate Johnson’s ability to switch as needed.

His overall coverage score of 30.23 percent is just outside of the sub-30 percent club. That is where I say a cornerback is comfortably a viable No. 1 option. The elites get beaten no more than 25 percent of the time, and the chasm between the three tiers is considerable.

5fe680bca7006e7cdec4c603fcaf6c01_crop_exact.gif

NFL Game Pass
Johnson moves with fluidity and quickness despite his size.

A major positive for Johnson is his interceptions. While some cornerbacks are great at smothering receivers, they do not force turnovers. Johnson has good hands and routinely locates the ball. The ability to force a turnover can make up significantly for more coverage lapses.

There is legitimate hope for improvement considering Johnson’s youth. He’s started just 33 games in his four-year career and responded well after earning the starting job in late 2014.

His injury history has caused him to miss nine games in the last two years. That’s something teams will need to factor into their contract negotiations. But he is worth a potentially major investment based on the market.

Massive spending is coming this offseason with so much talent and money available. High-quality cornerbacks are rarely available, so expect Johnson and the rest of the free-agent cornerbacks to cash in. A Maxwell-like deal makes sense in terms of cost per year.

The best suitors for Johnson will have a good pass rush, strong defensive coaching and a history of mixing off-man and vertical zone-coverage patterns. The Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cincinnati Bengals are the best fits for Johnson if the Rams do not tag him.
With both our CBs Oakland and SF are the main teams we have to worry about. Both want/need CB help and more money to spend than the Rams.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
If these guys walk all the BS about who won the RG3 trade is moot and all the pats on the back about how great the team building of Fish and Snead is looks silly. Can't draft and groom great players to allow them to leave in their prime.

That's Minnesota Twins, Florida Marlins level bad. It's so bad, I had to use a baseball analogy (I love baseball though).

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If these guys walk all the BS about who won the RG3 trade is moot and all the pats on the back about how great the team building of Fish and Snead is looks silly. Can't draft and groom great players to allow them to leave in their prime.

That's Minnesota Twins, Florida Marlins level bad. It's so bad, I had to use a baseball analogy (I love baseball though).

This. Anyone can point out all the good players we got with that trade. But to let them go before we actually see the results in the win column? We may not have been a winning team but those guys are not the reason. And we're very close to something good. Just need a quarterback and receiver. Losing your key players on defense would offset any gains on the offense.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Call me a hopeless optimist, but I like our chances of keeping both CB's if the FO really wants to.

Demoff is known for being fair in contract negotiations. He's certainly no Ziggy. So, if the Rams offer fair contracts, I think that they have the inside track.

Both players seem to like their teammates and their coaches. Both can see the possibilities for this D and this team if the band stays together.

Plus playing in LA has got to be attractive in and of itself.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Give him strong guaranteed money and get a deal done. Same with Jenks, no reason to lose either one IMO.

http://ramblinfan.com/2016/02/15/la-rams-free-agency-trumaine-johnson-vs-janoris-jenkins/

LA Rams Free Agency: Trumaine Johnson vs Janoris Jenkins
by Alex Alarcon

LA Rams Free Agency: Trumaine Johnson

..."The 26th year old and fourth year cornerback had probably his best year yet with the Rams in the 2015 season. Johnson only allowed 55.0 passer rating when targeted, second to Panthers’ Josh Norman. Johnson has shown his true potential last season, but can he continue to play at a very high level? Johnson totaled 58 tackles, along with a season high 7 Interceptions. He also returned one of those interceptions for a touchdown against the Lions. Johnson also has an injury past as well, with nine games missed in the last two years.

Johnson may not be the cornerback in the league, but his upside is his interceptions. While some cornerbacks are great at shutting down and stopping receivers, Johnson adds something special to his resume. Johnson has outstanding hands and routinely locates the ball with ease. Turnovers usually help win a football game, and that is much-needed with the Los Angeles Rams. Johnson recorded the 3rd most interceptions in the NFL, with only one pick behind top dogs Reggie Nelson and Marcus Peters. Johnson could be a top corner in the NFL for a long time if he continues to shut down opposing offenses......

LA Rams Free Agency: Janoris Jenkins

Mr Pick Six corner back Janoris Jenkins is entering his 5th year in the NFL for the 2016 season, but could he be wearing a different uniform? In four years with the Rams, he has recorded 10 Interceptions with half of those being returned for a touchdown. But that does not stop there, Jenkins also has recorded 3 Forced Fumbles and also returned one of them for a touchdown. By himself, Jenkins has put up 36 points on the scoreboard for his team. Jenkins has been known for his risky plays, but sometimes it hurts the team in the long run as well.

According to Pro Football Focus: Over his four-year career, Jenkins has allowed five or more touchdowns in every season (22 total), and missed 56 tackles in 60 games. On the flip side, Jenkins does return with some outstanding turnovers. He has improved over time, and is coming off his highest grade ever from PFF. Jenkins will always make impactful plays on defense, but can there be a balance from allowing and scoring touchdowns? Over the last few years Jenkins has shown he can be a very great under the radar cornerback, will he return back to the Rams in 2016?"...

personally, I'd hate to lose either of these guys...when you draft well, you need to keep those together....I look at Philly with Maxwell...and Seattle after losing Maxwell....it seems when a guy fits a system, you should keep him in it...

Ram65

Legend

His injury history has caused him to miss nine games in the last two years. That’s something teams will need to factor into their contract negotiations. But he is worth a potentially major investment based on the market

That's the concern with Johnson. He puts himself out with big hits. He has to stay healthy.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
In a perfect world we're able to resign both. Realistically I'm hoping we can get Tru a contract and tag Jenkins if it comes to that. I'd just like to hedge my bets on Gaines making a full recovery before letting either of those guys get away.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tru J is not a no-name to the Seahawks, Niners and Cardinals, and i'm hearing locally that Trumaine is on the radar for Cardinals GM Steve Keim because they like and want another big corner opposite P.Peterson.

Rams have to lock up both of these guys. Getting poached is one thing, but getting poached by a division rival is another.

IMO the strategy for the Rams for free agency is retention not acquisition.

@Warner4Prez that's a good plan, because if he is back and doing fine then Jenkins is (kinda) dispensable.............or tradeable (possibly) on a deal where the Rams get something in return.