Trumaine Johnson edging closer to return --Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Trumaine Johnson edging closer to return
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12697/trumaine-johnson-edging-closer-to-return

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- As St. Louis Rams cornerback Trumaine Johnson was taken off the field in Cleveland on a cart in the team's third preseason game, many assumed he had torn an ACL and would probably miss the season. Johnson himself feared for the worst.

So when Johnson found out in the days that followed that the direct hit he took to the knee was not a torn ACL but rather a severely sprained MCL, he couldn't help but feel lucky even if it was going to cost him a couple of months.

"I feel like I dodged a bullet," Johnson said. "It could have been my ACL, I could have been out for a year. I’m very blessed it was MCL, I didn’t have to do surgery. MCLs heal on their own."

In Johnson's case, the MCL is healing on its own though it isn't doing it as fast as he'd like. He suffered the injury on Aug. 23. At the time, the Rams projected a time frame of 6-to-8 for a return with some hope that he'd be back soon after the Week 4 bye. That didn't happen as Johnson has missed the two weeks after the bye but he's at least starting to make progress.

Johnson began doing some work on the side last week and was actually listed as a limited participant in Wednesday's practice. Simply being back on the field is a sign of progress for Johnson, who says he's relied on his teammates to keep him from going crazy while he waits for the knee to heal.

"The next step is trying to get better every day," Johnson said. "I’m feeling good. I’ve been on the field more than I’ve been here in the training room so that’s what we’re doing right now."

When Johnson returns, the Rams will have some juggling to do in the secondary. Rookie E.J. Gaines replaced Johnson in the starting lineup and has fared well for the most part though he's had some bumps and bruises along the way. Janoris Jenkins is the other starter and coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday that his faith in Jenkins has not been shaken despite some game breaking mistakes. And rookie nickel corner Lamarcus Joyner is coming off his best game last week against San Francisco.

Still, the Rams cornerbacks have struggled without Johnson and having him back, whenever that happens, should be helpful to the defense at large.

"(The injury was) real difficult timing, especially being the third preseason game, the season right around the corner," Johnson said. "It was a big blow for me but I have been positive about it. I’m so anxious, I can’t wait to get back out there."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Biggest question now is how long will it take him to shake the rust off!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It'll be great to get Tru back into the starter role, but it would be hard for me to take EJ out and sit him down except for sub packages and dime defense. Good problem to have. I doubt Fisher would tinker too much, but i'd like to see JJ get a shot at nickel corner. For all the playmaking he showed us his rookie year...he hasn't shown me much since then.

I could be reaching. Having Tru back will be great but i don't trust GW's defense at all right now. Let me put it this way, i trust that he can get the other team into a 3rd and long situation, but after that i just want to shut my eyes and pray.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Thank God! It's great to hear! Wonder if he'll be ready to play against Denver?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Assuming Tru returns in the form he showed last year, especially late last year... He and Gaines are the top two CBs on this team. IMO. Both are more consistent in terms of who GW can trust to play what they're supposed to play, and the execution of responsibilities.

Nickel is where I'm not sure what they'll do. I assume Jenks would be that first guy in with the sub, but I'm not so sure. Joyner really came on last game.

It's a great, great problem to have IMO. And GW is gonna use it to enforce that execution, thus I expect Tru's return to give this secondary a boost.