Troy Hill

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I have to say was very impressed with his play yesterday. He has flashed in years past so it's great to see a young kid stepping up when it's their turn.

Kavon has been just okay IMO this year, so I'm kinda interested if Hill can keep developing with more playing time. He offers a bit better athleticism and size I think.

Honestly I was worried about our secondary coming into the game but now I'm not at all.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I thought so as well. He played very well in man coverage. I'd love to see how he plays against stronger competition though, say if we make the playoffs this year. Nobody particularly strong on the Titans or Niners right now except at TE.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I thought so as well. He played very well in man coverage. I'd love to see how he plays against stronger competition though, say if we make the playoffs this year. Nobody particularly strong on the Titans or Niners right now except at TE.

Goodwin has been great lately, although i thinks its more speed than route running in his case

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
In 2016 I thought he was ok....but, until yesterday I thought he was awful. Maybe the Rams coaches got scared and spent some extra time instilling some confidence in him...he has the wheels,a nd change of direction; though he seems to lack the passion of the Rams other DBs.....he ain't afraid of speed, unlike Tru Jo mo jo.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I like what he brought to the table yesterday. But on that one play he knocked the ball away. Other officials might would have been inclined to call him for his off arm, which was kind of around him (the receiver). But he also didn't "turn" the receiver w/ it. (Which is probably why he wasn't called yesterday....). But he played better yesterday than he has in the past.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Loved the way Hill came to play yesterday. We'll probably need to draft a cornerback or two, but I'm much less worried about the secondary than I was yesterday.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I have been hoping we’d see the Hill I knew could play. He has skills. Hopefully he can continue to develop them and keep his head in the game.

He is one to watch. He needs playing time though and generally the lack of it has been because he lets that chip on his shoulder show off the field as well. If he can add a few pounds and keep his playing speed, he can be really good.

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He can really tackle tho....very underrated aspect of playing corner.

That's a great point Champ. Definitely an above average tackler, that part of his game is much better than okay.

But with how our safeties and LBs tackle I'd rather have a more pure man cover guy I think. The jury is still out on Hill but his speed and coverage have always stood out to me.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But with how our safeties and LBs tackle I'd rather have a more pure man cover guy I think. The jury is still out on Hill but his speed and coverage have always stood out to me.
If you rating a corner...I'd agree, ability to cover, man to man, is more valuable than tackling....I'm thinking Hill is a little better than Webster at this moment in coverage...and it's the opposite in the tackling.

TexasRam

Legend
Never thought in a million years I would say Troy Hill had two great games in a row. If Wade and his staff turned him around that is some legit coaching right there.

Hill used to be that 4th CB teams would pick on when they needed a first down or TD.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Never thought in a million years I would say Troy Hill had two great games in a row. If Wade and his staff turned him around that is some legit coaching right there.

Hill used to be that 4th CB teams would pick on when they needed a first down or TD.
Well he’s hardly played so I don’t know that he’s earned any kind of “that player” type tag. I watched him in college so I have high hopes but the little playing time he’s had before now nor the two good games are enough to go on just yet. The kid can play though so I still hold out hope for my former Duck.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I just saw this, thought I'd post it in Troy's thread. Wade was right, this unit is stronger than people thought at the beginning of the season.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Making his first start of the year in the wake of Kayvon Webster’s injury, Hill earned a <a href="https://twitter.com/PFF?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@PFF</a> grade of 87.6, the third highest in the NFL among cornerbacks on Sunday. <a href="https://twitter.com/thrilll_32?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@thrilll_32</a> <a href="https://t.co/nnrrYxCNMk">https://t.co/nnrrYxCNMk</a></p>&mdash; Joe Curley (@vcsjoecurley) <a href="
View: https://twitter.com/vcsjoecurley/status/942661621557575680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
">December 18, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

JackStraw

Rookie
I agree he was not fun to watch last year but as an undrafted practice squader who was cut by 2 other teams before getting his first whiff of playing time last season + coming off a DUI. He's not supposed to be good.

He's still on the roster and appeared to leapfrog Peterson and Hatfield on depth chart so i'm assuming staff sees something in him.

I thought he played well Sunday but thanks to our front his assignment wasn't particularly difficult.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have been a big critic of Hill this entire season starting in preseason. While I will have to give him credit on his performance last Sunday he will have the rest of this season to calm down my concerns.

NRC does start on the outside opposite Tru when in the base defense but Hill comes in when we go to the Nikel then takes up the outside post. Thus keeping Joyner in at safety which is a great thing.

Guess what Wade has found out here with 14 games played is Hill his best #5 DB at this time. Meaning he would prefer Hill over Christian, Countess, Peterson and Isaiah Johnson playing. Hill will need anew contract when the season concludes. Hill will join the othe four Ram starting DB,s Trumaine,Joyner Davis and NRC.

We need for Hill to step up big going into the playoffs to prove he has prominent role in the future secondary. Rams may have to fill 3 starting DB posts in this upcoming draft.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Troy Hill is in a position to make himself some money now and through the playoffs.

As I’ve posted in another thread, Webster is no lock to even be available until next midseason, if then. Those Achilles injuries are a mutha.

Since TruJo’s Ram future is also very much up in the air, it would sure be nice to only have to draft or sign one CB this next offseason. Well, technically, Hill will be a FA himself, huh? Geez...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Lets see how Hill does to end out the year. I'm not going to sing his praises just yet. He needs to continue to grow and show us he's a player that we can count on. I remember him having a couple of good games with Fisher and then having a couple games where he looked completely lost. TBC...

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Every time I saw him on camera at least his coverage was tight. Really happy about our depth. Good coaching is good teaching.

How about Littleton too? Love that guy.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Hill has been a pleasant surprise hope he continues to impress. I think most of the Rams free agents will want to stay with this team and many more may want to come to LA.