Troy Hill gives the Rams secondary flexibility | Free Agent Spotlight

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Troy Hill gives the Rams secondary flexibility | Free Agent Spotlight

Discussing how he put together what he believed was the best season of his NFL career thus far, Rams cornerback Jalen Ramsey said in January that it was partially a credit to fellow cornerback Troy Hill, who played both inside at star – the hybrid nickel defensive back position in former defensive coordinator Brandon Staley scheme – and outside at cornerback.

Head coach Sean McVay echoed similar sentiments in his end-of-season news conference, saying last month their ability to activate Ramsey in multiple positions across the secondary was due to Hill's versatility.

Hill also influenced Los Angeles' defense in direct ways, accounting for three of its four defensive scores with two pick-sixes and a fumble return for a touchdown in the regular season.

After providing all of that, Hill is set to become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins March 17.

So what are the options for the Rams and Hill?

That partly depends on new defensive coordinator Raheem Morris' vision for the defense, in particular what he wants out of the Rams' cornerbacks in scheme, and whether Hill – in both Morris and McVay's eyes, as McVay will likely also have a say in personnel decisions – fits the mold they're looking for. Morris' prototypical cornerback may be different from Staley's.

If the Rams re-sign Hill, it would give them depth and experience at a position that is increasingly becoming one of the premium ones in the game. Having both at that spot int he secondary is valuable, especially when facing quarterbacks like Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray each twice a year during the regular season. Hill has also been durable and available over the last five seasons, playing in 70 out of 80 regular season games during that span.

If the Rams don't re-sign Hill, they could look internally at 2019 third-round pick David Long Jr, who played both inside and outside as a rookie and has two seasons of experience, or potentially versatile 2020 third-round pick Terrell Burgess, who played every position in Utah's secondary in college, as potential replacements. They could also look for a replacement through the draft this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've never seen a player who can look so good one week and so bad the next. Which one is the real Troy hill?

hotanez

NRA Member for Life

I've never seen a player who can look so good one week and so bad the next. Which one is the real Troy hill?

He's both, an extremely inconsistent player. I wish him the best snd hope he signs a big money contract. Get us a 3rd round comp pick please.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He's both, an extremely inconsistent player. I wish him the best snd hope he signs a big money contract. Get us a 3rd round comp pick please.

If Burgess can take his place then good but I don’t see Long pulling it off. Maybe Hughes can?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Hill is gone. We have Long/Burgess and would expect Williams to be a priority over Hill.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hill should get paid either way.I’m just glad The Rams did not cut him for his 5 million contract? I think so.

sdakotaram

Rookie
Name
sdakotaram
Williams>Hill......IMO. Hill was a poster child for inconsistency. Wish him well and hope that we put effort into Williams over keeping Hill.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Hill gets burned deep...he was getting torched early in the year and again in the playoffs...Long and Burgess are cheaper and better prospects

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can have Deon Sanders, Rod Woodson and Jalen Ramsey and if our pass rush doesn't even touch Rodgers, he's still going to torch us.

Hill was good this year and the fact that some people still bash him and yet go to bat for other mediocre players is......interesting.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hill gets burned deep...he was getting torched early in the year and again in the playoffs...Long and Burgess are cheaper and better prospects

Yet Long going into his fourth year on the team couldn’t unseat Hill as a starter. Long was drafted too early. He’s been overrated on this forum.

HellRam

Starter
I dont get the Hill hate. The guy was the starting nickel CB on the best secondary in the NFL, who they also moved around because of his flexibility to play multiple positions. Hill has a knack for being around the ball and is a hell of a tackler as well.
Sure he had some inconsistent moments early in his career like most players. But he was damn good football player in 2020.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And yet we still don't know the answer. Y'know.... Inquiring minds and all....
I don’t think hill is good. He did have some big plays but I think he is an exploitable weak point in our defense that was often covered up by Donald’s pressure/the two amazing corners we have/ and the great safety play we had.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hill is gone. We have Long/Burgess and would expect Williams to be a priority over Hill.

don’t be so sure.There is a thing called the salary cap.How that I used is anyone’s guess.
I’ve been the biggest fan of COMP Picks in 2021 for 2022.The Rams continue to develop player that had little value when signed.Cory Littleton is an excellent example.This is the first time McSneads draft picks FA.
Your a Ram until your not,I’m waiting for I guess until March 17, not only to party ,but to see where players end up.Robey Coleman was a good FA & Hill came in and I believe even played better.I enjoyed the way he came up & put his head down & made some tough tackles.He saved a lot of first downs & had the most TD’s of any NFL defensive of player in 2020.I a thank you for being a solid Ram,especially when The Rams counted on him after his accident.

I appreciate watching growth of players after given a 2nd chance
& development of young men.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Green Bay's divisional round plan: run the ball and look for Hill in the passing game. He wasn't the only guy who effed up but he's the weak link no doubt about it.

You can find slot coverage relatively easily. Key is that we hold on to Williams, gotta have that guy opposite Ramsey who can hold up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Never been much of a fan of Hill, but he did have some key moments in games this year. Still, I'd roll with Long, Burgess, and a drat pick.

I wish Hill the very best of luck in finding a team and having them pay him a fuckton of money.