TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher (9-25-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher (9-25-14)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post–Practice – September 25, 2014

(On why there was alternating coaches during practice drills today)
“We do that every bye week the last practice, where we just switch positions where the receivers will go down and learn some of the tricks of the trade of the defensive line. So it’s a nice way to start off the last practice of the bye week.”

(On if he would invite the media to coach the players)
“Last time we had a media minicamp, I had two hamstrings and an ACL.(Laughs)”

(On what he thinks of the four day weekend and if coaches across the board don’t like it)
“Well not necessarily. We’ve been use to it. I’ve heard instances where some head coaches gave them the whole week off. Obviously, that’s too much but I think most coaches will have permitted in the past, prior to the new CBA, at least give them three days off. So, four, it works okay. The hard part is when we did it our first year after the London trip. So we really didn’t get any work done because we were adjusting to the time. You start this week after a home game, you get a lot done and I feel like we did.”

(On if he feels DE Robert Quinn is getting more attention than he got in the past)
“He’s getting attention. People are aware of it. The ball’s coming out, there’s no question the ball’s coming out. Check and see the pass attempts against us too as well. We might have the fewest in the league this year. The more pass attempts the more opportunities he’s going to get to get on the passer.”

(On if the lack of passing attempts is a testament to the pressure teams anticipate from the defense)
“Well it’s a combination of things. It’s been our, I don’t want to say inability, but at times difficulty that we’ve had stopping the run. We’re creating an opportunity for teams to pick up significant gains on the ground. And if anybody had their preference they do it that way.”

(On if he has been surprised with WR Brian Quick’s performance this season)
“Not surprised, no. It was an expectation. What we’re pleased with is what he did from the standpoint of carrying over what he did through OTAs and camp on the practice field, into the game. That was, for the lack of a better word, that was probably a shortcoming of his last year. But, it’s behind him now. So, he’s carrying those things over and it’s translating into plays.”

(On WR Stedman Bailey not getting a lot of playing time)
“It’s how the game went, but it’s his first week back. He’ll be much more involved as we move forward.”

(On if he ever looks at the schedule as a whole rather than week by week)
“We have to focus on Philly, we really do. None of that matters. We have to focus on Philly. But yeah, when the schedule came out and you looked at it and you saw those consecutive weeks where there’s six, seven, or eight against playoff teams and Arizona who was 10-6 last year. But, one of those teams that we play after Philly is 1-2 right now. So, things change and you can’t dwell or spend too much time on the schedule. It really is a very simple process. It’s pay attention to who you’re playing next.”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offense has the makings of a matchup nightmare if Bailey comes back and plays the way many of us expect him to. I believe that having 4 legit passing game weapons (using the GSoT as an example) is something that most defenses simply cannot shut down consistently.

Looking at who are our "legit" passing game weapons: 1 Quick, 2 Britt, 3 Cook, 4 Bailey. Even better, guys like Kendricks and Harkey have shown enormous growth in the passing game (TE coach deserves huge props btw thus far), but I would not yet term them as legit weapons you know are matchup problems every time. Austin sadly I think could be that, but at this point he remains a gimmick, big play option moreso than a consistent matchup delivery option.

Just IMO of course, Bailey has the potential to really boost this offense's potency from that perspective, giving the Rams an ability to threaten just about every defense we face. This does depend on the play of Davis or whoever is playing QB, but right now at least I think the Rams are getting very solid QB play when Austin is in there.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
This offense has the makings of a matchup nightmare if Bailey comes back and plays the way many of us expect him to. I believe that having 4 legit passing game weapons (using the GSoT as an example) is something that most defenses simply cannot shut down consistently.

Looking at who are our "legit" passing game weapons: 1 Quick, 2 Britt, 3 Cook, 4 Bailey. Even better, guys like Kendricks and Harkey have shown enormous growth in the passing game (TE coach deserves huge props btw thus far), but I would not yet term them as legit weapons you know are matchup problems every time. Austin sadly I think could be that, but at this point he remains a gimmick, big play option moreso than a consistent matchup delivery option.

Just IMO of course, Bailey has the potential to really boost this offense's potency from that perspective, giving the Rams an ability to threaten just about every defense we face. This does depend on the play of Davis or whoever is playing QB, but right now at least I think the Rams are getting very solid QB play when Austin is in there.
In addition to that, I would say that our backs could potentially be an effective weapon in the passing game. Stacy looked good last week and against Carolina in open space, or on designed screens. The only downside is when the backs are used as checkdowns, the defense sniffs out those 2-yard out routes almost every time.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Austin's presence on the field alone makes him an offensive threat. Defenses know that he can take it to the house if ignored, so they gameplan to watch screens his way and crossing routes. This opens up the field for everyone else. There is NO ONE on this team that can do what he did to the Colts.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But, one of those teams that we play after Philly is 1-2 right now. So, things change and you can’t dwell or spend too much time on the schedule. It really is a very simple process. It’s pay attention to who you’re playing next.”
Actually two of the Teams we face after philly are 1-2 right now. and two are 2-1!