TRANSCRIPTS: Jeff Fisher, Frank Cignetti- Training Camp - Post-Practice- 8.9.15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Training Camp - Post-Practice – August 9, 2015

(On today’s weather being a ‘toasty’ one)

“Yeah, actually it was and they pushed right through it, which is impressive. Didn’t have to mention a thing, they pushed themselves through it and I was really impressed. They knew we had to get through today and tomorrow; big days for us because then we can start to taper off as we get closer to the preseason.”

(On former Rams WR Isaac Bruce being at practice and the open door to past players)
“His career speaks for itself. When we came in and the respect factor that we have for the former players, whether they played a year or played 10 years or potential Hall of Famers, we just want to make sure they’re welcome here. So, you’ve seen a number of them over the years. Isaac, I didn’t get to see him, pretty busy, but my understanding is that he came with Jackie Joyner-Kearse, so that’s cool. (General Manager) Les (Snead) got to talk to them, but I didn’t get to. Door is open to everybody. Any former player that wants to come out to practice or go in and say hi, we welcome.”

(On trading for QB Case Keenum in the offseason and what he can bring as a backup quarterback)
“Well, Houston (Texans) got into a set of circumstances that were problematic last year and so it made sense for them to sign Case off of our practice squad. At that point, we didn’t have the luxury of signing him to the active roster, particularly because of our needs and the uncertainty at the position. So, Case went in there and played and did some good things and won a couple of games for them. We wanted to have Case back and didn’t know what their situation was going to be, so we just thought the best way to get Case back was to offer them a future pick.”

(On what he’s seeing out of Keenum so far)
“He’s productive. He understands the offense. His second year in our offense. He’s further ahead than where he was last year. He can make all of the throws and he’s got that enthusiasm and the ‘it’ factor in the huddle. We thought it would be a good deal for us, so it worked out.”

(On ease dropping in the huddle and what he’s looking for)
“I want to hear what’s going on. It’s the quarterback’s huddle and there’s more to operate in a huddle than just calling the play. So all of our guys are doing a great job right now with the subtle things - the situations, the down and distance, the reminders and things like that. They can all do it. Case was like that when he came in, so that’s one of the reasons we brought him back.”

(On Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti saying the game doesn’t seem too big for Keenum)
“When Case started practicing and he had to go do some stuff, he went out and did it. He ran two-minute against the defense and ran the cards against the defense and just made plays, so it’s not too big for him. He did that in high school, he did it in college and he did it with the Texans when he got his opportunity.”

(On what DT Aaron Donald can do for an encore from last year’s performance)
“He’s worked very, very hard the entire offseason. All of the things he accomplished last year, he started this offseason on a mission. He’s in great shape. He has a good feel. He knows every snap he has a chance to win and he’s motivated by that. That’s going to be good for us and very hard to block this year.”

(On getting a better gauge on the offensive linemen with a few days of padded practice)
“Yeah, I think they’re doing a nice job. ‘JB’ (G Jamon Brown) and (T) Rob (Havenstein) are coming on, (T) Andrew’s (Donnal) coming on. I’d like to get (G) Cody (Wichmann) back out there. (C) Demetrius (Rhaney) missed a lot of time last year with the injury, so it’s been great for him too. I think we’ll be alright. We will wait and see how we fare against the Raiders and the Cowboys in practice, but there’s no reason for me to think that they can’t line up and play.”

(On the biggest concern with the offensive line once they get into the regular season)
“Well, it’s communication. It’s actually the lack of reps and the lack of experience. Because if there’s a communication issue upfront and you cut somebody loose, that’s a free run on your quarterback, so we’ve got to make sure that, that doesn’t happen. Up to this point, they are getting their reps.”

(On T Greg Robinson with a year and an offseason under his belt)
“Greg, because of the injury, stayed here and rehabbed, so he spent a lot of time with (offensive line) coach ‘Bou’ (Paul F. Boudreau) and (assistant offensive line) coach (Andy) Dickerson in the offseason. I’m just going back and looking at some things from last year, so he’s much further along. Obviously, last year we started him at guard and we lost (T) Jake (Long) and moved him to tackle, so he’s much more comfortable. This far, he and (G) Rodger (Saffold), Rodger rehabbed as well, so the two of them spent the offseason together and that’s a benefit for us considering they’re going to be playing next to each other.”

Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti – Training Camp - Post-Practice – August 9, 2015

(On heading his first camp as the coordinator)
“I tell you what, really pleased with the offense. We have a great staff like we talked about before, great continuity, they do a great job teaching. The players are doing an awesome job preparing. They’re bringing it out here on the field. We’re getting great effort, and we’re getting good execution. Every day you can see that we’re making progress.”

(On if he did an installation offense in OTAs)
“It’s actually our third time through the install. The install is starting to wind down. Things are becoming a little more comfortable for the guys.”

(On how QB Nick Foles has adapted)
“I tell you what, he has adapted well. You can see it every day out here that every time he gets another rep and concept he sees it better. He’s more decisive with his decision making progress. Every day we are very pleased with the progress we are seeing.”

(On what he thinks of the young offensive line)
“They’re doing a great job. Once again (Offensive Line) Coach (Paul) Boudreau is doing a great job bringing those young guys along. (OL Rob) Havenstein, he’s physical, he’s tough, he’s smart. He’s our type of football player.”

(On what he thinks about (G) Jamon Brown)
“He’s doing great. He’s doing a great job inside at guard. He’s athletic, he’s tough. Once again, Coach Boudreau, and Coach (Andy) Dickerson are doing a great job bringing those guys along here in training camp.”

(On if he is looking for his three centers to compete in the preseason games)
“Well, obviously. We want to see all of our guys out there competing in the preseason games.”

(On if there is a change of terminology for the guys that were here before)
“Is it dramatic? Absolutely not. The foundation was in place here. Coach (Brian) Schottenheimer put an offense in here for three years. The staff, what we did was we tweaked it a little bit. The foundation of the terminology and the core concepts were in place, so there was a lot of carry over.”

(On WR Tavon Austin’s play)
“Tavon is doing great. Very impressed with him. His work ethic, when you watch him out here he’s becoming an outstanding route runner. From his releases, top of the route, his revolutions, getting tremendous separation. Making plays. Very excited about Tavon.

(On finding a way to get Austin the ball in space)
“It’s a point of emphasis to get everybody open. But Tavon, because he has a certain skill set, there are certain things you would like to do with him to him into a position to get touches.”

(On how much fun he has having as Offensive Coordinator)
“I love being an offensive coordinator. I loved being a quarterbacks coach. I just love the game; we are very blessed to be out here a part of the greatest game there is.”

(On the improvement of T Greg Robinson)
“Wow, what a tremendous… You just look at what a year makes for these young guys. Greg is in great shape. Once again he put in the time and effort in the offseason and summertime. Coach Boudreau and Coach Dickerson have done a great job with Greg, as has (Athletic Trainer) Reggie (Scott). You see it carry over out here on the field.”

(On the flexibility of moving Robinson from guard to left tackle)
“That certainly helps. He can really just zone in at one position.”

(On what they like about QB Case Keenum)
“Well, what we like about Case is the game is not too fast for him. He processes information very well. Very smart, he’s a rhythmic passer, very accurate. He can run the offense. We ask our quarterbacks to run the offense, keep us out of a bad play. He can come to the line of scrimmage, recognize the defense right now, make the proper adjustments. We are very excited about what Case is doing.”

(On if they saw the potential Keenum last year)
“No question, you can just see his functional intelligence.”

(On Keenum’s physical presence)
“He’s a great rhythmic passer. If you look at his college career and what he has done in the National football League you can see that he has great timing and rhythm.”

(On what he’s looking forward to in their first preseason game vs Oakland)
“We want to have good execution. Get in the huddle. Minimize our mistakes, maximize our opportunities. Give guys a chance to go out there and be successful.”

(On if they will be simple on offense vs Oakland)
“We need sit down as an offensive staff and decide, ’Hey what direction we want to go with the first preseason game.’ Once again it will be determined by what our guys do well.”

(On if there is anything that surprised him from the offense or individual players so far)
“No, I’m not surprised at all because I think we’ve got a great group of coaches and players that are committed to being the best that they can be. Every day we see our guys come out here and give great effort and execution.”

(On if WR Brian Quick looks back healthy)
“Absolutely. Once again he’s done a great job with his rehab. Reggie (Scott) has done a great job with him. (Wide Receivers) Coach (Ray) Sherman is doing a great out here coaching him. And Brian once again is very attentive. We are excited about were Brian is going to be.”

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
(On former Rams WR Isaac Bruce being at practice and the open door to past players)
“His career speaks for itself. When we came in and the respect factor that we have for the former players, whether they played a year or played 10 years or potential Hall of Famers, we just want to make sure they’re welcome here. So, you’ve seen a number of them over the years. Isaac, I didn’t get to see him, pretty busy, but my understanding is that he came with Jackie Joyner-Kearse, so that’s cool. (General Manager) Les (Snead) got to talk to them, but I didn’t get to. Door is open to everybody. Any former player that wants to come out to practice or go in and say hi, we welcome. Thank God, Jim Thomas was NOT a former Rams player, or my "open door policy", would have to be shit canned". JF.

God, and Fisher get it, don't judge me. Lol.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's 3 out of 5 of the OL that look game ready. GRob, Saffold and Brown. Can Havenstien be ready for speed rushers before game 1? And who is Center?

RamBill

Legend
Jeff Fisher Gives Rams Camp Update

Fox 2 Sports Director gets a training camp update from Rams head coach Jeff Fisher. Among the topics discussed; new quarterback Nick Foles contract extension, rookie running back Todd Gurley’s plan to play in 2015, the Rams challenging schedule for 2015, on the dominance of his defense, on the Rams possible move to Los Angeles after this season and how coach Fisher is advising his players and fans for this upcoming season.

Watch Fisher Interview

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
“His career speaks for itself. When we came in and the respect factor that we have for the former players, whether they played a year or played 10 years or potential Hall of Famers, we just want to make sure they’re welcome here. So, you’ve seen a number of them over the years. Isaac, I didn’t get to see him, pretty busy, but my understanding is that he came with Jackie Joyner-Kearse, so that’s cool. (General Manager) Les (Snead) got to talk to them, but I didn’t get to. Door is open to everybody. Any former player that wants to come out to practice or go in and say hi, we welcome. Thank God, Jim Thomas was NOT a former Rams player, or my "open door policy", would have to be crap canned". JF.

God, and Fisher get it, don't judge me. Lol.
In all honesty, that's a great policy. That's one of the things Spags really messed up on. He used to turn away guys like Hanifan and former players because he felt that they were a distraction when the team was training. Man, you just don't do that. Especially to a guy like Hanny. And Hanny took it in stride too. I remember someone interviewing him on the radio and he just said, "It's his team, he can do what he feels is best."

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
In all honesty, that's a great policy. That's one of the things Spags really messed up on. He used to turn away guys like Hanifan and former players because he felt that they were a distraction when the team was training. Man, you just don't do that. Especially to a guy like Hanny. And Hanny took it in stride too. I remember someone interviewing him on the radio and he just said, "It's his team, he can do what he feels is best."
Absolutely. I was so happy to hear about it. The history of the Rams, and their players, should be honored, and embraced.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know what he was trying to get at... "the past is the past, we have to concentrate on the present".

But, like other things, there was no middle of the road with Spagnuolo. Very black and white kinda guy.

I think there could have/should have been a way to make the former Rams feel welcome but still drive home the idea that they were great, we are not them.

Of course, had Spagnuolo been successful, how he approached that whole concept probably would have been seen differently by a lot of fans.