TRANSCRIPTS: Fisher, Cignetti, John Harbaugh, C.J. Mosley - 11/18/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post Practice – 11/18/15

(On his biggest concerns about the Ravens offense)
“Just as a team overall, I talked about the point differential all year. They could very well be 7-2. Bad break the other night. They’re playing really well. Special teams – leading the league in punt net and kickoff return and punt return. So, they’re very well-coached which you would expect from (Head) Coach (John Harbaugh). Defensively, they’re solid. Their secondary is healing up a little bit. And then offensively, (Ravens QB Joe) Flacco can make every throw. They’re well-coached, they’re game planning. They run the football. Tight ends are catching the ball. They’ve got some injuries outside, but we all know what (Ravens WR) Chris (Givens) can do, he can really get down the field. This is a really good football team.”

(On if Givens is playing a lot)
“Yes, he is. He’s playing. He’s playing good.”

(On if he kept a closer eye on QB Case Keenum today)
“No. We had the meetings, we’ve had the install. He spent the time, he’s been in early, we had our walk-thru. He’s no different than (QB) Nick (Foles). He’ll ask to review a couple of plays in practice where he probably didn’t see what he needed to see, so we’ll repeat it. But, I thought he had a good day.”

(On if he has to change much in the game plan with injuries on the offensive line)
“No, nothing changes. We don’t take that into consideration. You may need to go an consider at some point helping one of the tackles because of (LB Elvis) Dumervil in passing situations, but that’s no different than every other week.”

(On what Dumervil does so well as a pass rusher)
“Well, it starts with that. He’s got a great lean and bend and great outside speed. You have to respect the outside speed and then he’ll come down the middle and he’ll bull-rush. He’s a good run defender as well.”

(On if he talks to players about not being able to lose too many more games in order to make a playoff push)
“Does not. Can’t put that kind of pressure on them. We’re just, ‘Hey, it’s the next game.’ Subconsciously, I think they’re aware of it. I don’t know. There may be well over a dozen teams in the league right now that are 4-5. We’ve just got to play.”

(On how T Greg Robinson is progressing aside from the penalties)
“He’s coming. He’s further along than he was last year, which you would expect. He’s had some good match-ups. He’s played well out there. Once he gets comfortable, I think he’ll have a chance to get comfortable here for the remainder of the season with the guys as far as who’s lining up next to him and that’s different. We’ve asked him do a lot of things and asked him to control that edge for us, which is hard to do.”

(On if Baltimore players Ed Reed and Ray Lewis are Hall of Famers in his mind)
“Yeah, I was asked about that on the conference call today about Ed Reed. I think they’re going to recognize him at the game. For us, what comes to mind as far as Ed’s concerned is what a threat he was as a punt rusher and the kicks that he blocked over his career. He was outstanding. I think it illustrates the kind of player he is. Not only was he a great safety and made all kinds of plays, but those other aspects of the game were important to him. He was outstanding. We’ve got tape and shown our guys tapes and plays of Ed Reed as a punt rusher off that side. So, he’s one of the best that have ever done it. Yeah, outstanding career. Same thing with Ray. The two of them, they were the heart and soul of that defense.”

(On if he thinks it’s unusual for a team to have a run as long as the Ravens did with a good defense)
“Well, I don’t know how long the run was, but we faced them a few times. We had some battles. We won a few of them and we lost a few of them.”

(On if he’s had many chances coming in contact with Missouri’s Head Football Coach Gary Pinkel over the years)
“Just several times, yeah. We’ve talked about it. Just wish him well with his personal challenge and understand how much he meant to that program. He did a great job. I’ve heard that he’s come out and said that he’s done coaching. But, been there, done that. Heal up and go out a year and come back and see what happens.”

(On if when he stopped coaching he had planned to not come back)
“I was never coming back. Man, I was going fishing.”

(On how long he was fishing)
“About two weeks.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Frank Cignetti – Post Practice – 11/18/15

(On how he thought QB Case Keenum looked today)
“He had a nice day today. He had a good day in preparation. He had a nice practice.”

(On how changing quarterbacks changes things for him)
“It really doesn’t. The quarterbacks all prepare the same, whether they’re starting or not. The coach’s schedule stays the same. We just press on.”

(On what’s unique about Keenum’s skill set)
“Well, every player’s a little different. They have different attributes. When you look at Case, like (QB) Nick (Foles) is, they’re both tremendous leaders. They prepare very well. They practice well. To look at the difference in them, Nick’s a big guy. Case is a little smaller, little more athletic, got a little more movement to him.”

(On if he can use Keenum’s mobility to his advantage in different ways)
“Well, we will certainly try to. As coaches, what we try to do is look at every individual and try to put him in a position to be successful.”

(On what else he can try on offense to be more effective)
“Well, it comes down to having great preparation at practice. Taking a look at the game plan, we play Baltimore this week. Schematically, what we do feel matches up well against them, putting guys in a position to be successful. When you cross the white line, executing and believing in yourself and believing in your training.”

(On if he looks at the numbers with RB Todd Gurley’s carries and would like to get him more touches)
“Oh, absolutely. When you look at it, you’d certainly like to get the running backs more carries.”

(On how tough it is to integrate some new offensive linemen into the rotations)
“Well, Coach (Paul) ‘Bou’ (Boudreau) and (Andy) Dickerson do a great job doing that. Guys have great opportunities to step forward.”

(On if he has a good feel for Keenum)
“Yeah, I think we have a good feel. You have to remember, Case was with us last year. So, I got a chance to work with him for a while. He’s been with us all year. Yeah, I think we’ve got a pretty good feel for Case.”

(On what challenges Baltimore presents)
“Very good defense, another 3-4 team. Front seven’s outstanding. The back end plays well. They have an excellent sub package. Like we talk about, every team in the National Football League presents different challenges.”

(On if he’s looking forward to seeing former Rams WR Chris Givens)
“Chris Givens was a professional for us. It’ll be good to see him. Appreciate everything he did while he was he was a Ram.”

Ravens Head Coach John Harbaugh – Conference Call – 11/18/15

(On if he’s ever had a team that’s been on the edge this much in games and what that experience is like)
“No. It’s been tough because it’s usually gone against us. The ones that have gone for us have been great experiences and the many more that have gone against us have been real tough.”

(On if he feels like they’re so close and if that’s something he tries to get across to the players)
“Yeah, we try to get a lot of things across to them. It’s not that simple, but that’s part of it, sure.”

(On if this year is tough for them as an organization)
“Well, we’re trying to handle it the right way. We feel that we have a lot of hope for the rest of the season. Season’s not over. We’ve got a really good Rams team coming in here, so we’ll have our hands definitely full with that. We respect them as a football team and that’s what our focus is.”

(On what he remembers about facing Rams QB Case Keenum)
“I remember he had a great game. I remember they had a great plan and he executed it very well.”

(On what it does to his game plan with Keenum having not played yet this season)
“It creates a challenge because you have to try to make a determination about how they will try to plug Case into their system. Of course, you can’t change your whole system in a week and you probably wouldn’t want to. They do a lot of really good things. But, how he’ll fit in won’t be exactly the same as how (QB) Nick (Foles) was doing it, so we’ll have to try to do our best to anticipate that a little bit.”

(On what his defense is like now that several great players have retired)
“Well, most of those guys retired long before now as you might know. They weren’t here last year either or the year before that; couple of them. That’s been kind of in the rearview mirror as far as that part of the question.”

(On how the defense is coming along)
“We’re playing well. Statistically, we’re not very good. Most of that is because of big plays. The problems we had…we didn’t have big play issues this last week. We had some penalties. If we eliminate those kinds of things, I think we’re very capable of being a top notch defense.”

(On how LB Elvis Dumervil is doing)
“I think he’s done very well. ‘Dume’ has had an excellent year. He’s a guy that draws a lot of attention, obviously, in pass protection and rightly so. He’s been a three-down player and he’s played the run well also. He’s one of our top players certainly and a great leader.”

(On the kind of effect it has on him when the league tells him they messed up on a play)
“Well, we’re used to it. We send a bunch of plays in every week and we hear it pretty much every week on multiple, numerous plays. We’ve never had one at the end of the game that was a game determiner that if they get it right, you know for certain the outcome is different. That’s probably the toughest one to swallow.”

(On how DT Brandon Williams has progressed and how he’s playing)
“Brandon Williams is doing a great job. He’s one of our best players. He’s a dominant nose guard in the middle. I’m sure you guys are aware of how he’s playing. He’s a great guy as a person. Really great personality. Fun guy to be around. Hard worker. Just a pleasure to have him on our football team. We’re very fortunate to have him.”

(On how WR Chris Givens is fitting in)
“Doing a job, yeah. Thanks for asking that. Chris is…he’s fit in well. He’s a hard-working guy and that’s credit to how he’s been brought up in the league here. Got some talent and we like him.”

(On how difficult this season has been with all of the injuries on offense and having to go with the next man up philosophy)
“Well, it’s been challenging for sure. We’ve gone through a lot of receivers in obviously (TE) Dennis (Pitta) and a couple offensive linemen, but it’s the nature of this league. If you look around the league, I don’t know where we rank with that, but that’s kind of how it works.”

(On how his defensive philosophy was built a few years ago)
“I’m really not into that right now. That’s something that we can talk about some other time, but right now we’re kind of focusing on the Rams this week.”

(On what he likes about ILB C.J. Mosley and has he been what he’s expected)
“Yeah, thanks. C.J.’s everything we expected and more. Really smart, heady, level-headed, talented football player. Just have the utmost respect for him in every way.”

(On what challenges the Rams present)
“Well, playmakers on offense, first of all. Obviously, they’ve got an interesting scheme. I think they’ve done a really good job of putting their guys in positions to make plays. You have to deal with at least four top-level playmakers. Then, defensively, it’s just what you’d expect. It’s an attacking 4-3 (defense), they come off the ball, penetrating-type of a defense. They have fast linebackers. I think putting (S) Mark Barron at the WIL linebacker has been a tremendous move for them. They still have very good safeties. They’ve got good cover corners. Have a scheme that challenges you. So all around, a very aggressive defense.”

(On how important his punter is to his football team)
“I thought you were going to say something else when you said, ‘like kicking’, then you elaborated. But, I thought you said he was kicking something else for a minute, which he has been actually. (laughs) He’s been doing a great job, and you’re right (Rams P) Johnny’s (Hekker) done a great job, too. (P) Sam’s (Koch) been in the league for a long time. He’s really developed a lot of different kinds of punts that he uses that are kind of cutting-edge. I mean, he’s doing a lot of things differently than people have done before. I see Johnny’s trying to do a couple of the same things. He’s got a line-drive ball there that he uses, so guys like that are changing the way that special teams part of it’s played.”

Ravens ILB C.J. Mosley – Conference Call -11/18/15

(On how he’s been coping with this season)
“It hasn’t gone the way we want it to, but we’ve kept a positive attitude about the whole situation. We work hard, bettering ourselves every day in practice and being the best we can be.”

(On how the team bounces back from a game where they were told there was a missed call at the end of the game)
“It’s kind of hard to deal with it, especially the way it ended. We worked our butts off for that whole game. There are definitely plays we wanted back and plays we could’ve done better, but at the end of the day we felt like we played like we should’ve won. Calls always happen. Sometimes they work in your favor. Sometimes they don’t. We can’t really blame or point any fingers because we did things in that game where it didn’t have to be that close.”

(On dealing with injuries on both sides of the ball)
“It’s the NFL. In any kind sport you do, there’s always going to be injuries, always going to be tough times that happen. The better teams respond by next player stepping up and filling that role. You never know when your number is going to be called, so for our guys and players that have stepped up and made an impact on the team, we’re not surprised at those people because that’s the way we work and you know that at any time your number can be called.”

(On how excited he was being drafted by the Ravens given their history of having great defenses)
“I was very excited. I grew up a Ravens fan, especially with Ray Lewis and being a younger linebacker growing up. It was pretty much like a dream come true being part of a great organization. A lot of Alabama history as well, so it’s just kind of related to those two defenses. It’s a great thing to be here.”

(On if he’s met Ray Lewis and what that’s been like)
“Yeah, I’ve met him a few times and talked to him. I actually met him once when I was at Alabama going into my senior year. He came in and spoke to the team. That was a great experience. People have tried to compare me to him and said I was filling his role, those kinds of things. But, he has his own face here with this organization. He has a good feel. I’m here to do my job as a linebacker. Make calls, make plays and be a leader by example for this team.”

(On if he tries to emulate Lewis)
“The main thing was he was a special leader off the field, everybody knows that. He led the team on the field. His defense trusted him. The team trusted him. When plays had to be made, he made them or put players in the right position to make them. For any linebacker, those are kind of the standards that you want to hold, that you want to bring to the table with any team that you play for. As far as me being the play caller on defense during the game, that’s kind of a thing that I have. Guys trust me. They’re going to beleive that I’ll get the call in or make the right call or be in the right position to make plays. That’s kind of how I see it.”

(On why he was a Ravens fan growing up)
“Mainly because of Ray Lewis. I was a Ravens and a Bears fan because I liked Brian Urlacher and Ray Lewis.”

(On if he made a pre-draft visit to the Rams)
“I was supposed to go down to the Rams a few times, but I didn’t make any visits out there.”

(On if he sensed the Rams had a lot of interest in him)
“At the time I thought so. They told me they were interested, but it’s kind of like recruiting. Whoever talks to you, you know they’re interested. You never really know, especially going to the draft because you can’t really choose where you want to go. When we did speak, the vibe went well, so it was pretty much up in the air for me. As long as I got in the league, that’s all that mattered.”

(On if the young players feel like they can be the next generation of Ravens defensive players)
“Yeah, that’s the goal. To win games, win Super Bowls, win our division, win our conference. That’s why we’re here. That’s why they drafted us. It’s always great to look back on tradition because it reminds you where you came from. There always has to be that next generation that comes up and makes the program that much better and that much more elite. So, that’s definitely why we’re here and that’s what we want to do.”

(On what it’s like being a teammate of LB Elvis Dumerville and what has made him so good for so long)
“He’s a pro at what he does. He takes care of his body off the field. This is a brutal game and a long season. When (LB) Terrell (Suggs) went down, we all knew and he knew all the attention was going to go towards him. He’s handled it well. He might not have gotten off to a start like he wanted to, but he never complained. He always does his job whether it’s him rushing or containing or pass rushing, he’s never going to complain. He always finds a way to get to the quarterback.”

(On how he thinks the Ravens defense is playing this season)
“Well, for the first half of the season, we kind of went over our adjustments and the things that we needed to improve on. The two weeks we had, including the bye week, we said we were going to be a better team that runs to the football and try to cause turnovers down the field on third down. The first half of the season, that’s what it is. That’s what we were. Our main goal going into the last game was try to turn everything around and we did that. I say the last two weeks, I mean, that’s kind of our goal going into this game, try to make plays in turnovers and try to get off the field on third down and be an explosive team that runs to the football.”

(On what he sees from the Rams’ offense on film)
“Very explosive, especially with (RB Todd) Gurley and (WR/PR Tavon) Austin. They’re going to definitely put the ball in their hands because they’re definitely playmakers, even with Austin on special teams. So, we have to make sure we have great pursuit and get to the ball and gang tackle.”

(On how he plans to prepare for Rams RB Todd Gurley)
“You have to play with fundamentals. Keep an eye on your man, stay in your gap, the simple things on the defense because if he gets any little crease, he’s definitely going to try and break for a homerun. It definitely shows it on tape, when he gets one-on-one on secondary, it usually doesn’t end that well. So, for us, we have to make sure we stay in our gaps and play great enough as far as the front seven and in the back end and don’t let anything get past our head.”

(On how much he remembers about facing Rams QB Case Keenum last season when he was with the Houston Texans)
“He did a good job. It was tough game last year and he got the win. I think at the end of the day, that’s the most important thing. So, we know what he’s capable of. It’s a different offense and different coordinator, so we don’t know if we’re going to get the same thing we got last year, especially with the weapons they have on offense. So, pretty sure they’re going to find ways for him to be effective. We just have to make sure we do our job and whatever play-call that we play, we just run to the best of our ability. Then, let our play do the talking on that.”

(On if he has any good stories about Rams S Mark Barron from Alabama)
“Not really. Mark Barron really doesn’t talk that much. I don’t know if you all know that or not. (laughs) If I had some good stories, I would tell you. But, he’s a great player. In the three years that I played with him, always fun to be around because he made some amazing plays at Alabama. I’m happy to see him with the Rams making plays. Always good to see your former teammates doing well in the NFL. So, our offense, they watch them too. So, they know what kind of player he is. I hope he doesn’t have that good of game against us, but it’ll be fun watching him play.”

(On if he’s surprised to see Barron doing so well as a linebacker as opposed to a safety)
“Not really, because even at Alabama, he came down from five and played in the box with us. So, he definitely made plays in the back end, but he was always a physical tackler coming downhill.”

(On if he agrees with Alabama being ranked No. 2 or should they be ranked lower)
“Hey, as long as they’re in the top four, that’s all that matters.” (laughs)

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
(On what challenges the Rams present)
“Well, playmakers on offense, first of all....You have to deal with at least four top-level playmakers. ”

I'm struggling to find four "top-level" playmakers on our offense. Who could he possibly be talking about, aside from Gurley and Austin?

Rainram

Starter
I'm struggling to find four "top-level" playmakers on our offense. Who could he possibly be talking about, aside from Gurley and Austin?
I highlighted and was going to comment on that as well.

EDIT: Also, who asks about the team three years ago. "Hey Jim, tell me how Ray Lewis and Ed Reed created problems for opposing teams." Harbaugh: "wtf?"

These people's job for a living is to interview, report, write, analyze, etc...and what's more is you have plenty of time to prepare, and these are the questions they ask? Good stuff boys.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
(On if he has to change much in the game plan with injuries on the offensive line)
“No, nothing changes. We don’t take that into consideration.
I don't think this is coach speak... :eek:

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
(On if he talks to players about not being able to lose too many more games in order to make a playoff push)
“Does not. Can’t put that kind of pressure on them. We’re just, ‘Hey, it’s the next game.’ Subconsciously, I think they’re aware of it. I don’t know. There may be well over a dozen teams in the league right now that are 4-5. We’ve just got to play.”
"Can’t put that kind of pressure on them"? What!?

I can't decide how angry this makes me. On the one hand they're professional football players, they should understand the situation. On the other hand... DO THEY?