TRANSCRIPTS: Cardinals HC Bruce Arians, QB Carson Palmer - Conference Calls

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians – Conference Call – 9/30/15

(On being 3-0 and how his team smells this week)
“Just a little bit better. They’re still not anything special.”

(On being 3-0 and leading the league in points scored and if that’s nothing special)
“No, we still make way too many mistakes, giving teams free touchdowns and too many penalties. But, we are playing hard and that’s a wonderful thing.”

(On what his secondary is doing so well right now)
“I think it’s a combination of the pass rush and the secondary studying a lot of film. Coach (Defensive Coordinator James) Bettcher is putting these guys in great position to be successful. But our pass rush, they got after (49ers QB) Colin (Kaepernick) and he was throwing those balls off his back foot. When you do that against our secondary, they’re going to have some interceptions. It’s a full, all 11 guys on defense that get credit for those things.”

(On if having a knack for the ball is something he stresses on defense and getting defensive touchdowns or if that’s something he looks for in players when scouting them)
“It’s all of the above. It’s a high priority for us to have big plays, splash plays defensively. Negative plays, creating turnovers, so yeah, all our defensive backs have good ball skills. We don’t want guys who can cover but can’t catch. When those opportunities come and you drop interceptions, they always come back to bite you. All of our guys have really good ball skills and they very seldom drop one.”

(On what the transition has been like from Todd Bowles to Bettcher)
“It’s been smooth. We were very, very happy for Todd. One of my jobs I think as a head coach is to push assistants to become head coaches and also have somebody in mind to replace them with. James (Bettcher) was more than ready. The transition has been smooth. The defensive staff works tirelessly together on their game plans and I’ve been very pleased so far with the outcome.”

(On how QB Carson Palmer has been able to come back from the ACL injury and do so well)
“I tell you, it’s amazing. Sports science today is so unbelievable. He’s probably fitter and stronger and better fit than he was when he was 30 or 31. Just the things that he did with his body. His core is so much stronger. His legs are obviously stronger, but it’s also helped his arm. His arm is a lot stronger.”

(On if sports science has helped WR Larry Fitzgerald stay consistent)
“Larry had some nagging injuries last year. He had two MCLs where he got hit on the knee in the preseason and another one later in the year and it really slowed him down. He’s extremely healthy, but he’s probably in the best shape of his life, too. Buddy Morris and Roger Kingdom, our strength and speed coaches, do just a phenomenal job with our guys.”

(On if Fitzgerald is playing more slot this year and if so what the thinking was behind that)
“He’s played it ever since we’ve been here. Now he’s playing a lot more flanker where he’s always been the split-end where we can move him and he’s just bought into our philosophy. He’s probably one of the best blocking receivers in the league right now. But, it’s also helped him in the play-action game. We’re running the ball better than we have in the past, so that’s opening him up also.”

(On picking up RB Chris Johnson and what he’s brought to the team)
“Yeah, we liked (RB) David Johnson a lot when we drafted him, and he pulled a hamstring early in camp. (General Manager) Steve (Keim) just did a great job of knowing who’s available. We were looking for a guy that would fit what we’re doing. We thought a lot of (Cardinals’ practice squad RB) Kerwynn Williams, who had a big game last year. But Chris was available and so we said, ‘Why not?’ It doesn’t cost us anything. Let’s give this guy a shot. He’s a great guy. (Cardinals Assistant Head Coach) Tom Moore had been with him in Tennessee and raved about the type of kid he is. He’s come in and he’s been fun to coach. He’s now getting in good football shape. He came in too a little out of shape and then pulled a hamstring. But he’s getting in good football shape now, so we have a nice back field.”

(On former Mizzou players ILB Shawn Weatherspoon and OLB Markus Golden)
“They’re guys that love to play football. ‘Spoon’ has been a great addition to our team. Such a shame, he missed almost the entire training camp and it set him back as far as playing time. But Markus, we loved him coming out. He was a dynamic guy that went 1,000 miles an hour. Every time I turned on the tape and looked at (former Missouri LB) Shane Ray, I kept asking, ‘Who the hell’s (No.) 33?’ (laughs) So, we just kept getting more and more enamored with him and we love the way he plays the game. He’s making nice progress for a young player.”

(On if he gets excited when he sees Golden’s energy on the field)
“Oh, yeah. I mean, we look for guys who love to play. They play for free. They have that high-motor…they’re playing that in the backyard or wherever it’s at. They’re going to come every day to work, just because they love to play the game.”

(On what he sees from the Rams defense that may present challenges for his team)
“I didn’t think it could get any better, but it has. (laughs) I mean, they have an unbelievable rotation up front and they have four great ones to start with. Linebackers are outstanding. I like the addition of (S) Mark Barron playing safety, playing linebacker. (S TJ) McDonald, they’re all good hitters. Their corners are covering well. I think it’s one of the best defenses in the league.”

(On if he’s getting of a few of his guys back this week that may add depth at the running back position)
“Yeah, hopefully (RB) Andre Ellington’s back. We’ll figure out how many touches each guy gets, but we won’t…we’re not forced to put Andre out there before he’s more than ready.”

(On if his team now has the potential to be his best Arizona team)
“I think potentially. We talked a lot about potential, but our guys are realizing their potential when they come to work each day. Last year, we got off to a 9-1 start and the championship for the west here and blew it. I think we’ve all learned from that and how to handle it. Right now, I like their mindset…where they’re at. They’re coming to work every day and getting that day’s work done pretty good.”

(On much a healthy QB Carson Palmer means to his team)
“Light-years. I mean, you can’t put a measuring stick on the leadership. (QB) Drew Stanton stepped in and played really well last year, but Carson’s leadership and his fire that he brings to the huddle, not only the huddle but the whole locker room. They all saw what he went through and they all saw what he did to get back. They all know when he speaks, they listen.”

(On having home field advantage)
“Oh man, it’s unbelievable. The ‘Red Sea’ is…we’ve got a young fan base here in Arizona now that’s grown up with the Cardinals. They’re becoming fanatics and I love it. Everywhere you go in the Valley, you see them. It’s this great vibe in the city right now for football. It’s fun to be a part of it right now.”

Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer – Conference Call – 9/30/15

(On if coming back from a knee injury was tougher the second time around)

“It’s always tough. All surgeries and rehabs are tough to come back from. Because I had the experience with the first time and knew what to expect and knew how to handle it, that definitely made it easier just because I had been through it before. I knew the mental hurdles that were on the horizon and all of the things that you struggle with coming back from something like that and how to react to those. It was easy from that standpoint.”

(On how things were different the second time around from a sports science standpoint)
“There’s just different thoughts on how to rehab and different protocols and things that people would never do back then that they do now and vice versa. It’s just completely changed. Just from the standpoint that the first time I did it, I went under the knife and I was in the hospital for three nights, four days. This last time I went in, I was in an outpatient care facility. I went in at 7 am and I was back home and in my own bed by 11. Everything about it has changed and really changed for the better, obviously with technology.”

(On how the team has come together and gotten to 3-0)
“A lot of work. This process has happened over a couple of years now of us just getting better and better. But, it’s a lot of work. It’s guys spending tons of time at the facility. We do a lot of players-only meetings. We work out extremely hard. We keep our physical shape up. It’s not something that slowly happened over time. It’s something that’s just from the work that guys have put in. A lot of it too is it’s a lot of the same guys. A lot of guys have been here for three years or two years. A couple of guys that are helping us out as rookies and a couple of guys that are free agents, but for the most part the bulk of this team has been here, on offense and defense and been in the same system and knows how to work together and respects each other and does all of the right things.”

(On how hard it was to watch last season’s finish after the strong start)
“It’s tough. It’s always difficult. You always want to be there. Selfishly, you want to play just for yourself. But, you want to be there for your teammates and you can’t help them from the sidelines. There’s only so much you can do standing on the sidelines with a t-shirt and a hat on. You want to be out there and be a part of it and have an affect on the game. It’s difficult and nobody wants to go through it. Unfortunately, a lot of guys throughout their career at different points have to go through it. You get through it and you move on.”

(On building up his arm strength through the rehab process)
“Yeah, I spent a bunch of time. Rehabbing your knee takes up a lot of time and while I was at it, I just changed some things with my delivery process and the width of my arm action and all of that. Just spent a bunch of time working on my shoulder, my elbow, my tricep, my grip. I kind of had a chance, because I had so much down time, to tinker with a lot of things and got to the point where I’m really comfortable with where my width is. It’s something I worked hard at.”

(On how his relationship with Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians has developed)
“It’s a challenge. He is very demanding. He’s not an easy guy to play for. He has very, very high expectations. He’s always hard on you, even when you’re doing things right he finds something else to chime in about. He really keeps you on your toes and challenges you every day. And that’s something that all of us really, really respect and enjoy. It’s something that you look at and after a while it kind of eats away at you, it can make you mad, but I think it makes you a good football player in the end.”

(On if it’s easier to tolerate Arians with the team winning)
“Oh no doubt. Winning covers up a lot of things. It’s not like we’re on victory Mondays and he’s taking the pads off or he’s any easier. If anything, the more we win, the more he kind of knocks us down and tries to knock us down and makes us work harder. He’s not a guy that you just win and everything gets swept underneath the rug. He calls you out. He’s on top of every little detail whether you’re 3-0 or 0-3, it doesn’t matter to him. Again, that’s just another thing you just love about the guy and respect about him.”

(On what he thinks has made WR Larry Fitzgerald so consistent over the years)
“Just definitely the way he works. He’s one of the hardest working guys. He loves the game. He enjoys studying. He enjoys the meetings. He’s just 100 percent into it. He doesn’t take a day off. He doesn’t have a big game and relax. He comes back to work and works just as hard that week, as he did the prior week. So, really I think to key to all his success is just work.”

(On how much the running game means to the team’s offense)
“It’s huge. A good running game helps every passing offense. We’re a run first, throw second team and we spend a ton of time especially when down in the red zone, really, really working on the run game. Coming up with different runs and depending on different fronts we see, find different runs we can take advantage of. We’ve been so heavy in the past in the throwing game down in the red zone, we’ve got a number of running touchdowns and we’re not going to stop because it’s the way we’re built right now. We’ve had success doing it and we’re going to continue having success doing it.”

(On if taking a shot down the field is part of Arians philosophy)
“Yeah, it’s his mindset. It doesn’t matter what the score is. It doesn’t matter what’s going on in the game. It doesn’t matter the success of the run game or the success of the pass-game, he’s going to take his shots. You have to be ready, and it’s your job as the quarterback, you have to be smart. You have to take your shot when it’s there. You have to check it down when it’s there. There’s no excuse to not do the right thing when those plays are called because you know they’re coming.”

(On what he’s seen from the Rams defense so far)
“Super impressed. It’s a great group. It’s a great front. They’ve gotten a lot better on the back end. They’ve got a lot more experience. They have a lot of younger players that have played a lot and been in a lot of games. It’s a really good system. It’s changed. It’s kind of evolved from not being a bunch of pressures to then being a bunch of pressures. Then just a lot more five and six man pressures and then a cover zero here and there. It’s a ton to prepare for. It’s a long week getting ready for these guys. You don’t know where cover zero’s coming from. What down it’s coming from. What part of the field zone it’s coming from. Then, they can cover on the back end. They’ve got some really good, obviously, corners, but they’ve got some safties that can run with their guys on the inside too. It’s just a very good group. Very impressed personnel wise. I mean, you look at (LB) Alec Ogletree and the way he runs, makes plays and obviously (LB James) Laurinaitis. Obviously the big guys: (No.) 94 (DE Robert Quinn), (No.) 99 (DT Aaron Donald), (No.) 98 (DT Nick Fairley) and you can go on and on and on about those guys up front, but they’re really complemented well by guys on the back end that can cover and then guys that come down in the box and hit you and stop the run game.”

(On his defense giving him a head start in the game against San Francisco)
“Yeah, that’s nice. That’s like having a good run-game. It’s just nice. It makes things easier. It’s great to see our defense and the way the work. It’s so impressive to watch them practice and watch them communicate. The leaders we have over there…it’s nice when they can get up early like that. We don’t expect that to happen very often at all, but when it does, we try to do our job on offense and take advantage of it and also, equal the play the next couple of drives.”

Cardncub

Rookie
Do you have a different perspective on Arians now? He is one hell of a coach & has reasons for doing & saying the things he does.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
(On being 3-0 and how his team smells this week)
“Just a little bit better. They’re still not anything special.”

giphy.gif

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do you have a different perspective on Arians now? He is one hell of a coach & has reasons for doing & saying the things he does.
I respect him as a coach and for what he's been able to do. It's never been anything other than that for me.
But he can fall off of a cliff and snag his eyelid on a cactus on the way down as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure you understand.

Cardncub

Rookie
I respect him as a coach and for what he's been able to do. It's never been anything other than that for me.
But he can fall off of a cliff and snag his eyelid on a cactus on the way down as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure you understand.

Fair enough. :cheers:

DVontel

Rookie

I'm sure you understand.
I respect it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
This is the Bowl I'll use to catch the tears of Arians after he not loses the game but his Quarterback to the Rams.
bowl-25.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
(On former Mizzou players ILB Shawn Weatherspoon and OLB Markus Golden)
“They’re guys that love to play football. ‘Spoon’ has been a great addition to our team. Such a shame, he missed almost the entire training camp and it set him back as far as playing time. But Markus, we loved him coming out. He was a dynamic guy that went 1,000 miles an hour. Every time I turned on the tape and looked at (former Missouri LB) Shane Ray, I kept asking, ‘Who the hell’s (No.) 33?’ (laughs) So, we just kept getting more and more enamored with him and we love the way he plays the game. He’s making nice progress for a young player.”

(On if he gets excited when he sees Golden’s energy on the field)
“Oh, yeah. I mean, we look for guys who love to play. They play for free. They have that high-motor…they’re playing that in the backyard or wherever it’s at. They’re going to come every day to work, just because they love to play the game.”
Incredible that we never seem to target any of the top Mizzu players

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Arians; “It’s a challenge. He is very demanding. He’s not an easy guy to play for. He has very, very high expectations. He’s always hard on you, even when you’re doing things right he finds something else to chime in about."

Isn't this exactly the type of leadership this team needs?

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier

I'm sure you understand.

Well said X Well said.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I can't stand Arians in terms of his cocky attitude. But, I have to admit in some ways I think that's exactly what we need sometimes.