TRANSCRIPT: Rams S Maurice Alexander, Conference Call, 5-10-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
(On what it means to get drafted by his hometown team)
“It’s a blessing. It’s a dream come true. My mother is happy. I’d just like to give a shout out to Mr. (GM Les) Snead, (Head) Coach (Jeff) Fisher for believing in me and (Owner) Mr. (Stan) Kroenke. This is a great opportunity.”

(On if he is at home and who is there)
“Yes sir. The whole family is here. They’re very excited.”

(On if he had a feeling that the Rams were going to draft him today)
“I had no idea. I was praying for this opportunity though. It’s great to play for my hometown.”

(On what it means to play for his hometown after working in the Edward Jones Dome)
“It’s a dream come true, like I said. I worked down there and it’s come to reality now.”

(On his year away from school)
“It made me the man I am today. It’s a lesson learned. Me and my teammate, we’re great friends, it was a mistake. The Rams organization they know about it, and it made me a better man today. Utah State University believed in me, they brought back. I’m a great guy, I’m a great friend, I’m a great person to be around and I’m good in the locker room. I’d like to thank Utah State, I’d like to thank (Coach) Fisher, I’d like to thank Mr. Snead for believing in me. It’s a lesson learned.”

(On how it came about that Utah State wanted him back on the team and in school)
“It was a blessing. I did everything that they asked of me. I did what it took to get back into the university. I took classes, I worked. It was a struggle, but it was all worth coming back. I appreciate the coaches, the Utah State organization, the fans, everyone for believing in me and letting me come back.”

(On where he spent time in jail)
“It was Utah.”

(On if he got his degree)
“Yes, I got my degree. It was my main goal of my life. I’ve always wanted to be there and my mother is proud of me for that.”

(On if he knew there was a chance to be reinstated to Utah State)
“Yes sir.”

(On how his workout went with the Rams)
“The workout was great. The coaches loved the way I was very detailed in my workout and my ball skills. It was just a great overall workout.”

(On if he’s been told about what his role will be)
“I’ll do whatever it takes. I’m a football player. I love everything – special teams, defense, it doesn’t matter. It’s up in the air. I’m just ready to get there and play some football.”

(On how much interaction he had with Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams during his workout)
“Me and Coach Gregg, we talked a lot. He told me the types of schemes they do and we fit it in very well. I’m happy that Coach believed in me. He’s a great coach. Obviously you guys know, he’s been in the league a very long time and I can’t wait to be a player for him.”

(On how he adapted from linebacker to safety so quickly)
“I love football, like I said. I’m willing to learn anything. That year off, it taught me a lot. I know football could be over in a matter of time, like that it could be over quick. My IQ is pretty good in football. It was a hard switch, I’m not even going to lie. It’s a hard switch going from linebacker to safety, but I’m easy to coach. Coach (Todd) Orlando believed in me up there at Utah State and he taught me very well.”

(On if he played free or strong safety)
“I played strong.”

(On if he thinks he can play free safety also)
“Yeah, I can play free. I’ve played free up there as well. I play a little bit of both.”

(On if working at the Edward Jones Dome motivated him on the field)
“Definitely. That’s what really motivated me, seeing myself working there and being around that field. I’ve done that since I was a younger kid, it’s just a dream come true. Every time I went to work, I always sat on the end of the field, and I looked at it like, ‘This could be my dream spot.’ Look where I’m at now.”

(On if he went to games when he was young)
“I didn’t really go to games but I always watched on TV.”

(On if he worked at the dome during Rams games)
“Cleanup wise, yes I cleaned up sometimes at the convention center. I was like a janitor there. I cleaned up.”

(On if he got to see any games while working)
“I didn’t really get to watch any games. We just stayed after cleaning up.”

(On cleaning up after Rams games)
“It was some work, I’m not going to lie. There’s a lot of cleaning up to do in that stadium.”

(On how he got the job)
“I went online, talked to the manager, and I went on an interview. I worked there every since then.”

(On what his family is eating today)
“Everything is being cooked right now. We’re going to go out to eat, and my family has been cooking as well. They’re waiting on this phone call (to end) so they can jump on me.”

(On where he’s going to go eat)
“I have no clue right now. What’s your favorite spot?”

(On if he had an idea of where he would be drafted)
“No, I had no clue. I was patiently waiting, me and my mom. I’m speechless, man. It was the greatest phone call I’ve ever gotten in my life and I was just so happy that Coach (Fisher) and Mr. (Rams GM Les) Snead called me. It was a great feeling. I had no clue.”

(On what Coach Fisher said to him on the phone)
“Get ready to be a Ram. I’m just so thankful. It’s going to be an emotional day.”

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Mr. Alexander, does anybody call you "The Space Cowboy"? What about "The Gangster of Love"?

duckhunter

Starter
Mo said he had no clue (ABOUT WHERE TO EAT).

Was a big head scratcher for me. Don't know anything about the kid.

We drafted a S in the first a few years ago that spent most of his college at LB. So, it happens.

Time will tell.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We drafted a S in the first a few years ago that spent most of his college at LB. So, it happens.

Time will tell.
Yeah? So? I make plans to go out and eat and often have no idea where I'm gonna end up.
Just wanna go eat.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Time will tell.
Maybe the kid doesn't get much chance to go out to dinner. I know when I was his age, I couldn't really name any restaurants in my area. Not much point if you can't afford to go to them.

duckhunter

Starter
Yeah, was just using his line about no clue as a lead in.

I certainly didn't have him on radar. He says he can play FS which is what most had us pegged for. Others have mentioned special teams as a positive and others as maybe a bit early versus whether being drafted period. This was supposedly a weak safety class.

Just trying to fill in the blanks why they went this way. Missed the 4th and haven't read everything yet.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Guys, I know Snisher really like him because they avoided a trade to to ensure him being in horns. Heck, it sounds like he's a Rams fan start. You gotta love that, dream come true. However, I watched some film on him and came away underwhelmed. He just doesn't look as athletic as I'd like and he'll take snaps next to McD at times. Its not making sense is what I'm saying. He's a stout tackler but didn't they want someone who could cover a bit? It seems that's what we really needed. I still am a huge fan of this draft, of course, but this is a head scratcher for me.

duckhunter

Starter
Guys, I know Snisher really like him because they avoided a trade to to ensure him being in horns. Heck, it sounds like he's a Rams fan start. You gotta love that, dream come true. However, I watched some film on him and came away underwhelmed. He just doesn't look as athletic as I'd like and he'll take snaps next to McD at times. Its not making sense is what I'm saying. He's a stout tackler but didn't they want someone who could cover a bit? It seems that's what we really needed. I still am a huge fan of this draft, of course, but this is a head scratcher for me.

Snead seems to put a bigger priority on athletics and measurements than production. Most recently said athletics was more important than technique refinement when comparing Robinson with Matthews. May shed some insight to the Quick and Pead picks.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Snead seems to put a bigger priority on athletics and measurements than production. Most recently said athletics was more important than technique refinement when comparing Robinson with Matthews. May shed some insight to the Quick and Pead picks.

Interesting perspective

duckhunter

Starter
Interesting perspective

I bounce what he says with what I remember Parcels and Vermeil have said in the past. Polian said something interesting today-in the later rounds go with athletics and measurements more than try hard, attitude, and production. Now that seems contrary to Cincinnati's experience with their LBs of Harrison, Mauluaga and Burfict. Vermeil was a big production advocate and often said: if they can't do it in college how do you expect them to do it in the NFL. Parcels often wouldn't consider a guy early in the draft or quite as high with less than 24 months of being a starter. He wanted a fair share of experience and production.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, he said something similar the day he was hired.

SierraRam

Recreational User

On tape, his strengths are run support and blitzing. He'll be in the box on 1st down, and on the LOS for passing downs as a 5th rusher. just my guess..

duckhunter

Starter
Yeah, he said something similar the day he was hired.

It would be great to hear his in-depth views on evaluating players/positions, stacking the board, roster management, etc, than some of the redundant stuff our media gives us. That's the sort of stuff I really would like to hear more often. If nothing else, Kevin, I think, sees the need to establish that information transfer to fans.